General Doping/PEDs Discussion

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course it's worthy of debate when some people here seem to think the Williams sisters are somehow better than Sharapova because they asked for permission to cheat as opposed to Sharapova who didn't. Either way, they're both using banned substances to get an unfair advantage over their opponents. There's really not a whole lot you could possibly misunderstand here. Do some research about retroactive TUEs to cover up positive tests while you're at it.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Of course it's worthy of debate when some people here seem to think the Williams sisters are somehow better than Sharapova because they asked for permission to cheat as opposed to Sharapova who didn't. Either way, they're both using banned substances to get an unfair advantage over their opponents. There's really not a whole lot you could possibly misunderstand here. Do some research about retroactive TUEs to cover up positive tests while you're at it.
dream on dreamer:lolz:...wallow in you bitterness:lolz:cry me a river:popcorn

freedomsmom

Reactions
Front242
Digging the not following WADA policy is no different than following Wada policy hole deeper and deeper is a reflection of the depth of delusion you embrace.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
freedomsmom said:
Front242
Digging the not following WADA policy is no different than following Wada policy hole deeper and deeper is a reflection of the depth of delusion you embrace.

It'a all semantics. Asking if you can cheat with permission versus doing it without. Bottom line is the athletes in question are all cheats whatever way you care to spin it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No: if something is "legal" then it's not "cheating". That's by definition.

I found the Sharapova appeal verdict to be troubling. The idea that she was believed in appeal ahead of her own testimony in evidence is shocking. She had been informed the drug was banned, her team didn't pay attention, then she took it after is was banned.

She should now join the drug on the banned list, and yet she's been giving a relative pass. It's not good... :nono

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
No: if something is "legal" then it's not "cheating". That's by definition.

I found the Sharapova appeal verdict to be troubling. The idea that she was believed in appeal ahead of her own testimony in evidence is shocking. She had been informed the drug was banned, her team didn't pay attention, then she took it after is was banned.

She should now join the drug on the banned list, and yet she's been giving a relative pass. It's not good... :nono
the idea that Billie Jean King allowed her to play at her event while she is still banned is troubling...kinda rewarding bad behavior...Navratilova and Evert are celebrating the reduction in the ban is also troubling.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There's something dispiriting about the whole thing, including her reaction, as if she's been vindicated. And I believe the ITF came out and said WADA could improve their communications, as if WADA were somehow at fault. As if Maria's own manager hadn't admitted he woulda told her but he missed the very important poolside meeting in Barbados or wherever because he was having girlfriend trouble... :cover

freedomsmom

Reactions
Tennis greats Martina N. and Chris E. held Maria up as the consumate professional surrounded by a top notch team. Maria has proven she does not have a top notch team nor is she a consumate professional. A consumate professional and a top notch team play by the rules.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone old enough to remember arcade games will recall the ads saying "winners don't use drugs"

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
By engineering his bedroom environment to replicate that of a high altitude, Phelps decreases the amount of oxygen available, which forces his body to work harder to produce more red blood cells and deliver oxygen to his muscles. It also helps Phelps increase his performance endurance and prepare himself for competitions at high elevations.
"Once I'm already in my room I still have to open a door to get into my bed," Phelps said on the CBS News program "60 Minutes" in 2012. "It's just like a giant box. It's like 'boy and the bubble.'"

I guess this is legal.

Also, he goes through cupping to aid in recovery. That is also legal.

It looks like the boundaries between legal aids and illegal practices to gain advantage are rather thin.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this hacking situationin politics is now making things clear on who hacked and why they hacked ...selective hacking was exercised on Serena Venus and Simone Biles to diminish their accomplishments..#jealousy

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
By engineering his bedroom environment to replicate that of a high altitude, Phelps decreases the amount of oxygen available, which forces his body to work harder to produce more red blood cells and deliver oxygen to his muscles. It also helps Phelps increase his performance endurance and prepare himself for competitions at high elevations.
"Once I'm already in my room I still have to open a door to get into my bed," Phelps said on the CBS News program "60 Minutes" in 2012. "It's just like a giant box. It's like 'boy and the bubble.'"

I guess this is legal.

Also, he goes through cupping to aid in recovery. That is also legal.

It looks like the boundaries between legal aids and illegal practices to gain advantage are rather thin.

Well, the legal boundaries are still very clear, and what Phelps describes here is a world away from doping. But the effects of treatments (legal or otherwise) are probably similar. I imagine that a lot of legal supplements now would have a greater benefit to athletes than illegal drugs maybe 20 years ago...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally, the Russians that they had institutionalized doping scandal going on for several years. But, they still claim that it is not state sponsored. Of course, no one believes the second claim. But, this is the first time they have accepted that scandal is institutionalized scandal and so this is some progress.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Finally, the Russians that they had institutionalized doping scandal going on for several years. But, they still claim that it is not state sponsored. Of course, no one believes the second claim. But, this is the first time they have accepted that scandal is institutionalized scandal and so this is some progress.

Russia has long been a nation with a distant relationship with the truth so this is a seismic leap for them, who knows why it came about? With the Russian state, "truth" is merely a strategy and usually occurs with great reluctance...

EDIT: I see Bradley Wiggins has retired. Good. He's been more or less rumbled...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Russia has long been a nation with a distant relationship with the truth so this is a seismic leap for them, who knows why it came about? With the Russian state, "truth" is merely a strategy and usually occurs with great reluctance...

EDIT: I see Bradley Wiggins has retired. Good. He's been more or less rumbled...
Just like KS and Kieran, I was a huge Sampras fan..I know there's a lot of comparisons between Pete's and Roger's success. However whereas Pete's mortality quickly evaporated after age 30 , Roger hasn't loss two many steps and is still competitive for grand slam championships. Have technology and physical training changed that much or have Roger just found " the fountain of youth" in his mid to later 30s?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
So the biggest and best site discussing doping in tennis announced it's closure before the AO finals this year. Can't say I blame the admin really as the finals are pretty farcical. It's like we're going back in time and none of them get any older. RIP tennis. The sport is FUBAR.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
So the biggest and best site discussing doping in tennis announced it's closure before the AO finals this year. Can't say I blame the admin really as the finals are pretty farcical. It's like we're going back in time and none of them get any older. RIP tennis. The sport is FUBAR.

What's a FUBAR, by the way, I only saw that bit now... :laydownlaughing

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Was searching Youtube for ages there to find a clip but seems there aren't any online. Anyway, it's from Tango and Cash (1989). F****d up beyond all recognition :p

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Was searching Youtube for ages there to find a clip but seems there aren't any online. Anyway, it's from Tango and Cash (1989). F****d up beyond all recognition :p

:lolz: Excellent! I'm gonna do that to death!

It was a great post by you above, by the way. I wouldn't go so far as saying RIP Tennis, hopefully we can trust what we're watching, but I get exactly what you mean by players not ageing naturally...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2222
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
tented Pro Tennis (Mens) 1068