General Doping/PEDs Discussion

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
David Walsh of the Sunday Times, AKA Armstrong's Bane, has no truck with Maria in today's assessment of her woes. He concludes interestingly:

Sharapova's case was built on the premise that it was a simple oversight but the three-man panel saw beyond that.
She didn't pick up on the change in medonium's status precisely because she was so sercretive about her usage. The panel didn't have much sympathy for Sharapova. She will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport who have previously shortened bans imposed by the ITF. Out of this, the International Tennis Federation emerge with credit. It now has a strong anti-doping programme, the balance between blood and urine, in and out-of-competition, is close to 50-50 and they're not afraid to go after the biggest names.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
David Walsh of the Sunday Times, AKA Armstrong's Bane, has no truck with Maria in today's assessment of her woes. He concludes interestingly:

Sharapova's case was built on the premise that it was a simple oversight but the three-man panel saw beyond that.
She didn't pick up on the change in medonium's status precisely because she was so sercretive about her usage. The panel didn't have much sympathy for Sharapova. She will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport who have previously shortened bans imposed by the ITF. Out of this, the International Tennis Federation emerge with credit. It now has a strong anti-doping programme, the balance between blood and urine, in and out-of-competition, is close to 50-50 and they're not afraid to go after the biggest names.

It's far from a strong program as the testing is very infrequent and this is the first time I can ever recall a top player getting a proper sentence so it's still nowhere near acceptable, plus they still test only the losing player 99% of the time. That's how Sharapova was tested (as a loser - pun 100% intended) and also because they did a lot more testing than usual at this year's AO. Pity he doesn't want to sort tennis out like cycling 'cos he knows damn well there is a lot of doping in tennis.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:

It's far from a strong program as the testing is very infrequent and this is the first time I can ever recall a top player getting a proper sentence so it's still nowhere near acceptable, plus they still test only the losing player 99% of the time. That's how Sharapova was tested (as a loser - pun 100% intended) and also because they did a lot more testing than usual at this year's AO. Pity he doesn't want to sort tennis out like cycling 'cos he knows damn well there is a lot of doping in tennis.

I think David Walsh is reliable on these things...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

She didn't pick up on the change in medonium's status precisely because she was so sercretive about her usage. The panel didn't have much sympathy for Sharapova.

They sure did a great job on that front.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
IAAF makes the final decision banning Russian Athletes from this year's Olympics.
Says it is difficult to determine who is clean and who is not (due to state sponsored doping) and so bans everybody. Still permits "Mr. Clean" athletes from Russia to participate as an individual (not under Russian Flag).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw these stats posted on another forum and they're quite eye opening to say the least.

Thiem in deciding sets:

2016 alone (up to Stuttgart):
19-1.

Before 2016:
20-21

Weak competition or doping? Who knows but that's quite an alarming turn around.

B

bjorn

Shame, considering that not every single athlete competing under the Russian flag is doped. I hope that they still are determined to compete, although not as part of team Russia.

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions
The BBC had a very interesting program on doping last night. Horizon sports doping winning at any cost.

Well worth a watch. They showed how Caffeine can be used to improve performance and is basically doping ...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennisman12345 said:
The BBC had a very interesting program on doping last night. Horizon sports doping winning at any cost.

Well worth a watch. They showed how Caffeine can be used to improve performance and is basically doping ...

Well, it gives energy boosts but I wouldn't put it down as doping. Still, I don't approve of this recent trend of players being allowed a coffee during breaks at end of sets, etc. If you're tired tough $h1t. Suffer like your opponent. Unfair advantages aren't sporting.

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
Tennisman12345 said:

Well, it gives energy boosts but I wouldn't put it down as doping. Still, I don't approve of this recent trend of players being allowed a coffee during breaks at end of sets, etc. If you're tired tough $h1t. Suffer like your opponent. Unfair advantages aren't sporting.

The program did some tests they had two twins do a few tests, then gave both a piece of chewing gum one was placebo the other had caffeine in , neither knew which was which . and the one who had caffeine improved results on the previous tests they repeated. By about 2-3 % which they said could be the difference between a medal or no medal in the olympics.

Really ? Never seen players drink coffee seen Monfils drink coke :s But the doping program says caffeine improves performance some athletes use nicotine as well to boost performance , if you combine a couple of these advantages your performance could go up 5-10 %. Which really gives you an unfair advantage.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennisman12345 said:
Front242 said:
Tennisman12345 said:

The program did some tests they had two twins do a few tests, then gave both a piece of chewing gum one was placebo the other had caffeine in , neither knew which was which . and the one who had caffeine improved results on the previous tests they repeated. By about 2-3 % which they said could be the difference between a medal or no medal in the olympics.

Really ? Never seen players drink coffee seen Monfils drink coke :s But the doping program says caffeine improves performance some athletes use nicotine as well to boost performance , if you combine a couple of these advantages your performance could go up 5-10 %. Which really gives you an unfair advantage.

Stan Wawrinka and Serena Williams have recently ordered coffee during breaks and had tremendous difference in performance after getting caffeinated. I would not call it doping. If players are allowed to drink sports drinks which they bring with them, why not coffee too? Unfortuantely, they cannot bring hot coffee with them and need to order it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Tennisman12345 said:

Front , when I play in tournaments I wear an extra large jock strap because if I play without it, I suffer in pure agony for hours afterwards, Is that an unfair advantage over my opponents! Also, I have experienced muscle cramps in some tournament. I take ibuprofen , lace my Gatorade with pedilyte or eat pure mustard doing medical timeouts,which has allowed my body time to recover and I have subsequently won the matches. Should I now go back and foriet my trophies. Please tell me and I will reach out to the various tournament directors.

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Tennisman12345 said:
Front242 said:

Stan Wawrinka and Serena Williams have recently ordered coffee during breaks and had tremendous difference in performance after getting caffeinated. I would not call it doping. If players are allowed to drink sports drinks which they bring with them, why not coffee too? Unfortuantely, they cannot bring hot coffee with them and need to order it.

Thanks had never seen it before.So it's not doping but maybe it is performance enchancing? The program said it would be very difficult to ban caffeine because it's in too many products. They also suggested if they did a similar test with bananas that could see an improved performance so where would they drew the line.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennisman12345 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Tennisman12345 said:

Thanks had never seen it before.So it's not doping but maybe it is performance enchancing? The program said it would be very difficult to ban caffeine because it's in too many products. They also suggested if they did a similar test with bananas that could see an improved performance so where would they drew the line.

Yuri, Meldopova's dad, even used to act out eating a banana giving Maria the indication that now is th time she should eat a banana. ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
98 athletes "who tested positive after two waves of 'targeted re-analysis' of samples from the 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympic Games" have been banned from Rio, but not named yet while the legal process is still ongoing. This is an interesting one, and has me scratching my head wondering who they might be, and how we can find out before they're named. I suppose they probably have taken the Cilic/Sharapova route of excusing themselves from the Games, citing "injury", before the legalities are rubberstamped.

98 is not a large number, in Olympic Games terms, and of course, many athletes have withdrawn citing Zika, and various injuries, so it would be cynical to try narrow it down...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ioc-delay-naming-positive-re-tested-samples-from-beijing-2008-and-london-2012-athletes-until-after-r/?utm_source=AppleNews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=IOC%20delay%20naming%20positive%20re%20tested%20samples%20from%20Beijing%202008%20and%20London%202012%20athletes%20until%20after%20Rio%202016

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
"Rio: IOC warns drug cheats they will be caught within the next 10 years

The International Olympic Committee has warned cheats who might be using designer drugs or gene doping at the Rio Olympics that they will eventually be found out. The IOC's medical director says about 6,000 samples of urine and blood from Rio athletes will be stored for a decade, to ensure that any new technology will be able to test for anomalies currently not being detected."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-16/rio:-ioc-warns-drug-cheats-they-will-be-caught/7748118

They should be catching them now but at least this is better than nothing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
^^ Read the post above yours, buddy. 98 competitors from the 2008 and 2012 Olympics have been caught after their samples from back then were re-analysed. They haven't been named while the legal process is ongoing, so they'd be players who withdrew citing injury, or Zika concerns...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Delighted to see WADA's database was hacked so maybe now all the naive people out there will realize Sharapova is FAR from the only cheat out there. So many bs TUEs out there that cause massive loopholes in the system and the Williams sisters given exemptions for banned substances.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016/09/wada-says-russian-hackers-published-athletes-medical-data/61065/

CsMBGJfWYAApGqc.jpg

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: WTA News and Gossip 2016

Front242 said:
Delighted to see WADA's database was hacked so maybe now all the naive people out there will realize Sharapova is FAR from the only cheat out there. So many bs TUEs out there that cause massive loopholes in the system and the Williams sisters given exemptions for banned substances.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016/09/wada-says-russian-hackers-published-athletes-medical-data/61065/

CsMBGJfWYAApGqc.jpg
they were given permission to use corticosteriods for a chronic knee,everyone knows she takes a shot for her knee and Venus for Sjogren...everything was above board..permission by WADA DOCTORS:snicker...no smoking gun here..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: WTA News and Gossip 2016

Sure they were. Believe what you want, most people realize it's bs. Just 'cos the authorities bought some silly lies that they "needed" these drugs 'cos of some extremely debilitating condition (my arse) does not mean they were legit reasons and it just shows how pathetic the tennis authorities are to allow it happen. Bottom line, they don't give a $h1t when these players make them filthy rich. That Sjogren's syndrome is the biggest load of crap I've heard in my life. It's pretty clear there's something juicy in Venus' inhaler or she wouldn't be chuffing on it under her towel when losing sets badly and bringing it with her to the bathroom at Wimbledon (illegal incidentally but caught on camera) and coming back and absolutely annihilating her opponent next 2 sets. Must be some groovy stuff in there.

Venusinhand.jpg

venusinhales.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2222
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
tented Pro Tennis (Mens) 1068