General Doping/PEDs Discussion

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Things are getting heated up with respect to Rafa. French Sports Minister Bachelot publicly accused Rafa of doping in a French TV Show. He claims that Rafa did a deal with ATP/ITF and went through a silent ban for six months before returning to the tour in Jan 2013.

Finally, ITF was forced to give an official denial of any such cover up today.

In the meantime it has become public knowledge that WTA sent out a "talking points" memo to all its players telling them how to spin the Maria story when the evil reporters approach them. The idea is to preserve the image of tennis and that of WTA and of course this is of importance to both players and the administrators and so they are in it together.

I will try to post the links to all these stuff later when I get more time.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
ITF released a statement to French Press that is quoted below.

The International Tennis Federation sent an official statement to AS on the situation of Rafa Nadal in which are described as "surprising and incorrect" allegations of Roselyne Bachelot , a former minister of Health and French Sports in the Government of Nicolas Sarkozy, against Spanish tennis player.

The statement reads verbatim as follows:

"The accusations of Roselyne Bachelot against Rafael Nadal are not only surprising but also incorrect. All convicts players a violation of the Anti-Doping Tennis Program are publicly announced as required under the rules of the Programme and the World Anti-Doping Code" .

"In addition, WADA (the World Anti-Doping Agency) maintains its own independent monitoring of the results of the samples collected players, so that would not only be aware of any attempt to camouflage ( 'cover up') or failed deliberate in acting on any positive control, but would also have the right to appeal against any decision, so as to pursue any apparent breach that had occurred in the program ".

http://tenis.as.com/tenis/2016/03/11/mas_tenis/1457702281_619104.html

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
About the talking points by WTA distributed to players, see the link in "Maria fails drug test" thread.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The WADA requires that for a substance to be added to the banned list, it must meet two of three criteria:
1. it must induce performance enhancement
2. it contravenes the spirit of sports.
3. it is harmful to the athlete’s health.

Djoker's eggs were deemed by WADA to be against the spirit of the sport. But, was not banned as WADA was not convinced of the second criteria (i.e, 1 or 3 above).

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All French players support Nadal vs this stupid Mrs Bachelot...she's unfortunately well known in France, she made some bad mistakes herself when she was Health's minister : she bought 90 millions of H5N1 vaccins much more than we needed and we paid taxes to reimburse this "mistake"...France was obliged to sold the vaccins back to Eastern countries and French state lost a lot of money because of Mmrs Bachelot ....she should shut up instead of telling ridiculous things without any proof. I'm not a Nadal fan but I approve him to take her to the court. Each time she appears in a talk show, she always says stupidities, she gives France a bad name and I have appologize to all Nadal fans :not all French people are like Mrs Bachelot believe me I feel sorry about this affair it's really annoying for France

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
All French players support Nadal vs this stupid Mrs Bachelot...she's unfortunately well known in France, she made some bad mistakes herself when she was Health's minister : she bought 90 millions of H5N1 vaccins much more than we needed and we paid taxes to reimburse this "mistake"...France was obliged to sold the vaccins back to Eastern countries and French state lost a lot of money because of Mmrs Bachelot ....she should shut up instead of telling ridiculous things without any proof. I'm not a Nadal fan but I approve him to take her to the court. Each time she appears in a talk show, she always says stupidities, she gives France a bad name and I have appologize to all Nadal fans :not all French people are like Mrs Bachelot believe me I feel sorry about this affair it's really annoying for France

Rafa and his team have announced that they will file a defamation case against her.

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The WADA requires that for a substance to be added to the banned list, it must meet two of three criteria:
1. it must induce performance enhancement
2. it contravenes the spirit of sports.
3. it is harmful to the athlete’s health.

Djoker's eggs were deemed by WADA to be against the spirit of the sport. But, was not banned as WADA was not convinced of the second criteria (i.e, 1 or 3 above).

Against the spirit of the sport is just as bad as doping

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
isabelle said:

Rafa and his team have announced that they will file a defamation case against her.

Why bother? So many out there have accused him of doping and it was the same with Lance. He sued them all and he was guilty as sin all along. With so many doping accusations out there it's time the authorities stepped up their game.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
ITF/ATP/WTA clearly cannot be trusted. They never even announced that Cilic tested positively for a long time. He just withdrew from tournaments citing some stupid injuries from the point he was informed of that. Finally, the whole thing came to light only when he was not playing in his own home tournament that he usually plays in. The news was broken by Croatian Journalists who began to investigate why he was not playing his own home tournament.

As a result, it is within the realm of possibilities that ITF/ATP decide to hush things up when a top player gets caught. After all we know they did once (Agassi and crystal meth). So, we for sure cannot believe that they won't do it again.

What makes it slightly difficult for them now is the WADA which is an independent organization.
So, it won't be easy for them to hush it up as before. But, still plausible.

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions
Any athlete taking medicine should read the leaflet that comes with it. I have medicine that clearly states on it if you are an athlete you will test positive in anti doping tests .......

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Medicine is fine if needed but she wasn't taking it for medical reasons clearly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny how the silly witch-hunts begin, but the actual story is Maria. Fanbased envy and allegations are strictly irrelevant.

Maria's ex-doctor stating she had no history of heart troubles is interesting, but not damning. Russian sports and sports-doctors are utterly bizarre and not to be trusted, until they show themselves capable of living in the civilised world. I'm sorry if that sounds horrible and racist, but it isn't. The Athletes Committee of WADA has asked that WADA extend its investigation into all Olympic sports which Russians could compete in, and not just athletics. So far WADA has been slow on the uptake, citing first that they didn't have the resources to tackle every sport in every country, only then understanding that the request was to only focus on Russia, which WADA then said they would consider. This is from David Walsh in today's Sunday Times, behind a paywall unfortunately...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
A bit ridiculous to single out Russia to say the least. Luis Garcia Del Moral (the most unintentionally ironic surname of all time ? :laydownlaughing ) and Fuentes were saints I guess.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
A bit ridiculous to single out Russia to say the least. Luis Garcia Del Moral (the most unintentionally ironic surname of all time ? :laydownlaughing ) and Fuentes were saints I guess.

You don't seem to understand these things. It's not ironic at all to single out Russia, and bear in mind it's the Athlete's Committee of WADA asking for this. They want to protect clean athletes and the Russian Federeations have been shown to be utterly corrupt, going all the way up to the top. This is why they singled out Russia. It would be odd to think that only Russian athletes were guilty, but even if they were, it wouldn't be wrong to have proof that the rest of the Russian olympics team were behaving themselves.

Fuente's operation was a private one, and his clients were of various nationalities. Operacion Puerto is a scandal, but one of a different type to the Russian Olympic team...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

You don't seem to understand these things. It's not ironic at all to single out Russia, and bear in mind it's the Athlete's Committee of WADA asking for this. They want to protect clean athletes and the Russian Federeations have been shown to be utterly corrupt, going all the way up to the top. This is why they singled out Russia. It would be odd to think that only Russian athletes were guilty, but even if they were, it wouldn't be wrong to have proof that the rest of the Russian olympics team were behaving themselves.

Fuente's operation was a private one, and his clients were of various nationalities. Operacion Puerto is a scandal, but one of a different type to the Russian Olympic team...

"If I would talk, the Spanish football team would be stripped of the 2010 World Cup" <--- Fuentes.

http://www.back-post.com/2014/11/25/doping-footballs-biggest-secret/

"At the time of 2006 drugs raids it was not illegal in Spain to take drugs, but was rather an issue for the sporting bodies. Fuentes had allegedly told a prison informant when he was arrested as part of a second raid that he had information that could strip Spain of its World Cup and Uefa championship."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9836906/Spanish-doctor-Eufemiano-Fuentes-told-he-does-not-have-reveal-athletes-he-treated-in-doping-inquiry.html

Not illegal to take drugs in Spain? That's a ******g joke and it's pretty clear many Spanish athletes have got away with using PEDs. The Spanish football team above clearly. They have been a nation of cheats for a long, long time and their almost overnight success in the Olympics has been questioned by many and rightly so.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/destruction-of-operacion-puerto-blood-bags-would-be-hard-blow-for-anti-doping-fight-210934

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The Fuentes case is different to what I posted about. Not all of Fuentes clients were Spanish, and in fact they could be anyone. And it also has its own thread, and it's a scandal about which we are in agreement.

Do you understand why the Athlete's Committee of WADA have taken this step with WADA regarding Russia, or should I explain it to you again?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
By the way, you stated the Russian authorities are so corrupt it's gone all the way to the top. It doesn't get much more corrupt than a Spanish judge ordering blood bags of their athletes (and others) to be destroyed! Utterly shameful. Even their sport's minister knows and acknowledges Spain has a doping problem which is a lot more than the fans of Spanish players here do.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/7573907/spain-doping-problem-nation-sports-minister-says

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2222
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
tented Pro Tennis (Mens) 1068