Early AO talk

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I would say Rafa does have a chance of making it to the semis. The biggest hurdle would be Zverev whom has vastly improved. But, Rafa still has a chance. Besides, Rafa has already beaten Raonic this year although at an exho. So, he can do it if he is confident and playing his best tennis. But, it's might hard for Rafa to win this AO. He will have to encounter Djokovic in the semi after having played (possibly) two tough matches already. Difficult for him.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
shivashish said:
Okay, anyway we couldn't have asked for an easy draw considering Roger is 17th seed. I really think the draw is tough. And that is mainly for one reason; Andy in QF. Stan would have been better in the QF and Andy taking his place in the SF. But, that is not the case now. I think Roger at his best would defeat Berdych easily. Nishikori is suspenseful. Its not an easy draw guys. But, I am not expecting him to lose in the first week yet. No.

That is the point... considering the is 17th, he is bound to get one of the top 4 guys in the quarters. Considering the recent past, I prefer Murray than Djokovic or Raonic. And I would also prefer facing Murray before Wawrinka. He will surely need more energy against Murray than against Wawrinka, which may well fall before the semi. In this order, he has a chance of having an "easy" match in between a probably difficult quarters and an eventual final against Djokovic. Two tough matches in a row is the worst thing it could happen to him right now.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Djoker gets Verdasco in R1. Can lightning strike twice in Australia? :puzzled

Nole should beware of Tabasco, he can beat anyone when he's in

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
On the surface it looks like a brutal draw for Nole, but Verdasco had his shot while Novak was waking from his slumber. He'll be wide awake in Melbourne, and most likely torment the Spaniard to a straight sets hammering...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Djoker gets Verdasco in R1. Can lightning strike twice in Australia? :puzzled

Nole should beware of Tabasco, he can beat anyone when he's in

Nah.

http://www.stevegtennis.com/head-to-head/men/Roger_Federer/Fernando_Verdasco/

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Murray not got the cake walk draw that Nole has had as number 1.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tignor is in: bye bye Andy :wave

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/australian-open-mens-preview-nadal-federer-murray-djokovic-kyrgios/63312/

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka is supposed to be good on this surface. He has played great tennis against Novak here in the even beating him once. Djokovic is kind of lucky to have avoided him before the final. If Wawrinka gets going he can be a tough opponent for anyone.

Rational National

Club Member
Reactions
So many possibilities, likely twists and turns, shock wins, lots of tears, lots of joy with many many incredible moments to look back on....... and yet it will all end a 4 set win for Novak over Andy that looked tight for 2 and a half sets. Tis the way it is feted to fall

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray giving the "egg" a lash.

any%20murray%20team%202.JPG

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
shivashish said:
By the by, the chance of having a Fedal match now in this tournament is very little. Something like 5% maybe. We have to wait more.

Thanks God. Who would want another match netween those two. Boring...

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Think it's time to change Djokovic name to Cake Walk Nole,when was the last time this guy got a bad draw?@ least Andy does it the hard way year end for example.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
shivashish said:
By the by, the chance of having a Fedal match now in this tournament is very little. Something like 5% maybe. We have to wait more.

5%? You are being very generous? I would put it at 0.005%.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
sid said:
Think it's time to change Djokovic name to Cake Walk Nole,when was the last time this guy got a bad draw?@ least Andy does it the hard way year end for example.

It seems to happen when #1 in the world; qualifiers, wildcards, & "also-rans" from the past in their path! Believe it, Rafa and Roger have been just as fortunate in the past! Nole deserves a break having to go up against them in their primes; the most firm #3 in the world maintained for many years! :angel: :dodgy: :rolleyes: :ras:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Stepanek is likely to be one of those qualifiers and for that reason people very much underrate qualifiers who are often more match tough than the rusty players this time of year. Stepanek in case people need reminding came close to knocking Murray out of RG 2016 in the first round. He is no slouch. Draws with qualifiers and low ranked players are not cake walks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Qualifiers are more dangerous than direct entry players ranked 80 and above. This is because qualifiers by definition are in form and have lot of confidence having just won three matches in a row.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's true, but there's still a reason why they're qualifiers, and not in the main draw. Players in the main draw are getting higher quality workouts in Brisbane or elsewhere, or else they're fine-tuning things before the event. It's true qualifiers have a run of form going in, but I bet statistically they're windscreen splatter in the first round, more often than not...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tonight we will see which players will make it out of the qualifiers, as R3 begins.
Stepanek was the top ranked among them, because he is barely out of the top 100 (currently 102).
Other veterans in the running are Jurgen Melzer and Julien Benneteau. Julien is usually attracted by Roger like a magnet in the slams draws, so I would not be surprised to end up in his bracket again if he wins tonight.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This is Novak's to lose. And no way does he lose to Verdasco - this is Novak's turf!

I think Roger will go down sometime between the 3R and QF. He's had trouble with Berdy and Kei, and even if he gets past them I don't see him beating this version of Andy Murray, not after being off for six months. So I agree with Tignor: Andy in the SF in his quarter.

I also kind of like Tignor's choice of Kyrgios in the next quarter. I just think he's hungry and ready to make some noise and will give Stanimal some of own medicine.

The third quarter is tricky. If Rafa beats Zverev, I think he can take Milos. But I give Rafa maybe a 50-50 chance of beating the young German. If he does, it is Rafa, if not it is Milos, who will pound Zverev to a pulp in the QF (if Alex makes it).

Novak will sail through his quarter. Thiem won't be a challenge. Grigor might put up a fight, but will wilt.

Novak beats Rafa or Milos, Andy beats Kyrgios (or maybe Stan). Novak beats Andy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 23
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 343
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 627
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 15
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 273