Djokovic Fans thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No word of a lie, I didn't watch the match but followed on Live Scores and when Stan won the second set, I said to myself, I bet he retires.

Ultimately, I couldn't give a crap whether he retired or not, just that I expected him to. His choice.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
No word of a lie, I didn't watch the match but followed on Live Scores and when Stan won the second set, I said to myself, I bet he retires.

Ultimately, I couldn't give a crap whether he retired or not, just that I expected him to. His choice.
The key words in your post is His choice.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually I agree with the opinion that if one player (Joker in this case) retired in his career many times while another (Fed) never retired, then the former player denies his opponents a proper victory while the latter one plays more fairly, to the end. The argument is not that the injuries were the same during this tournament but that over their whole careers, the two players have dealt with their injuries differently. You may argue that Joker's injuries have almost always been so bad to warrant immediate retirements while Fed's were benign enough to allow playing to the end. Really? I don't think so. You may say that their playing styles are different therefore different injuries/risks of aggravating, so the retirement rate would be bigger in case of Joker. But the difference of almost 100% to 0% cannot be explained with such argument. So Moxie you are incorrect here. In this particular exchange, there is no need to explain "what made Djokovic retire" in his latest match or in previous matches, so such argument is stawman.
I'm not sure you understand what a 'straw man' argument is, or you misunderstand me. Ricardo is talking about historical records of each, as are you and Broken, but he's using it as a reason to disbelieve Novak's sincerity in retiring injured, which he did in a prior post, so that was what I was responding to. We ARE primarily talking about this match. And I didn't really want to bring it to the Djokovic fans thread that people have problems with some of the retirements. As Broken says above, Novak often seemed to suffer no after affects. Memorably, Novak retired out of a final v. Murray in Cincy in 2011 when Andy was 3 games away from the win, then went on to win the US Open a few weeks later, right after he was "too injured" to go on in a final. Obviously, he feels differently about Majors.

Reactions: Bonaca

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Actually I agree with the opinion that if one player (Joker in this case) retired in his career many times while another (Fed) never retired, then the former player denies his opponents a proper victory while the latter one plays more fairly, to the end. The argument is not that the injuries were the same during this tournament but that over their whole careers, the two players have dealt with their injuries differently. You may argue that Joker's injuries have almost always been so bad to warrant immediate retirements while Fed's were benign enough to allow playing to the end. Really? I don't think so. You may say that their playing styles are different therefore different injuries/risks of aggravating, so the retirement rate would be bigger in case of Joker. But the difference of almost 100% to 0% cannot be explained with such argument. So Moxie you are incorrect here. In this particular exchange, there is no need to explain "what made Djokovic retire" in his latest match or in previous matches, so such argument is stawman.
The discussion began, and I was talking about the injuries of Fed and Novak at this tournament.
So the injury perspective is my point.
Now you talk about fairness to end a match despite of the handicap. That’s a whole other story.
I always prefer smart decisions, brain dominated. Playing with a real injury isn’t smart or logic to me.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Once you step on the court, you should play until the match finishes unless the injury is going to aggravate your situation. That is the basic courtesy to the opposing player.

I strongly believe that Novak quit merely because he realized that there is no way he can win from that position (two sets and a break down and the retirement comes right after the break in the third set).

Do I know exactly what Novak was going through? Of course, not. But, what I am claiming is more probable than the other way considering both Novak's history and the way he played in this match.

It is even worse considering that he only needs to play for 10 or 15 minutes to lose properly.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm not sure you understand what a 'straw man' argument is, or you misunderstand me. Ricardo is talking about historical records of each, as are you and Broken, but he's using it as a reason to disbelieve Novak's sincerity in retiring injured, which he did in a prior post, so that was what I was responding to. We ARE primarily talking about this match. And I didn't really want to bring it to the Djokovic fans thread that people have problems with some of the retirements. As Broken says above, Novak often seemed to suffer no after affects. Memorably, Novak retired out of a final v. Murray in Cincy in 2011 when Andy was 3 games away from the win, then went on to win the US Open a few weeks later, right after he was "too injured" to go on in a final. Obviously, he feels differently about Majors.
No worries, I understand strawman very well. Let's state it here, just for a handy reference: Strawman Fallacy. Description: Substituting a person's actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument. Person 2 restates person 1's claim (in a distorted way). Person 2 attacks the distorted version of the claim.
After the qualification of your response herein, I now understand your reasoning a little better, thanks.
I still maintain that Ricardo's post in question, does not contain anything indicating that he was talking about "this match". So, you've responded to your own inference (emphasised) to his argument in the post inquest rather than to the argument itself.
Obviously, now I understand why you did so. Perhaps the second part of Ricardo's post (an abusive and disgusting slur that I'm very sorry for) changed your understanding of the argument. But now, with your example of Novak retiring vs Andy 2 weeks before winning USO, you are providing evidence for said argument that Novak has a history of retirements while Fed does not.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Once you step on the court, you should play until the match finishes unless the injury is going to aggravate your situation. That is the basic courtesy to the opposing player.

I strongly believe that Novak quit merely because he realized that there is no way he can win from that position (two sets and a break down and the retirement comes right after the break in the third set).

Do I know exactly what Novak was going through? Of course, not. But, what I am claiming is more probable than the other way considering both Novak's history and the way he played in this match.

It is even worse considering that he only needs to play for 10 or 15 minutes to lose properly.
I agree with your initial part of your first sentence, as I think most do. But the last part of that sentence is "unless the injury is going to aggravate your situation." This is the critical part of the decision: will you do more damage by continuing to play? This answer is not something we're necessarily going to be privy to. But I think some benefit of the doubt can be given, when the stakes are so high.

I understand that Novak's history of retirements has hurt him on this score. There is reason to have some impression of "crying wolf" re: Djokovic, but I still don't think he'd just bail in a Major because he figured he'd lose anyway. I don't think you're right that he'd only have needed 10-15 minutes to lose, "properly." He was down 1-2 in the 3rd...he'd have had to serve a few more times. If he really was in danger of doing more damage to his shoulder, (or wrist, because that was causing him trouble in Cincy,) would you really have preferred that he put in a half-effort just to see the match out, while still protecting his body? That could have been ugly for everyone. Look, I'm not defending Djokovic's choice. I don't even like the guy. You say you "strongly believe" that he quit because he was losing. But I'm only saying that fans could do without judging things they don't know about. I'll say this...if it were the final, I'd condemn him for not seeing the match out.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No worries, I understand strawman very well. Let's state it here, just for a handy reference: Strawman Fallacy. Description: Substituting a person's actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument. Person 2 restates person 1's claim (in a distorted way). Person 2 attacks the distorted version of the claim.
After the qualification of your response herein, I now understand your reasoning a little better, thanks.
I still maintain that Ricardo's post in question, does not contain anything indicating that he was talking about "this match". So, you've responded to your own inference (emphasised) to his argument in the post inquest rather than to the argument itself.
Obviously, now I understand why you did so. Perhaps the second part of Ricardo's post (an abusive and disgusting slur that I'm very sorry for) changed your understanding of the argument. But now, with your example of Novak retiring vs Andy 2 weeks before winning USO, you are providing evidence for said argument that Novak has a history of retirements while Fed does not.
I appreciate your post. And I understand the argument. I'm still saying that Ricardo DID state earlier that he was doubting Novak's motives for retiring in this particular match, so I don't think I was missing the discussion or deliberately going for a Straw Man. These threads are a moveable feast, so I don't think one's feet need be held to the fire if the conversation is still in the same vein. I appreciate your saying that Ricardo's personal jab was "abusive and disgusting," but it didn't distract me from the argument. As I said, we're discussing the retirement at hand, and yes, some have also taken it to the wider conversation about Fed and Novak vis-a-vis histories of retirements, but it doesn't mean that we stopped talking about one on Tuesday. As you can see above. And some tool being an idiot doesn't put me off my game. I'm used to his crap.

Last edited:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I appreciate your post. And I understand the argument. I'm still saying that Ricardo DID state earlier that he was doubting Novak's motives for retiring in this particular match, so I don't think I was missing the discussion or deliberately going for a Straw Man. These threads are a moveable feast, so I don't think one's feet need be held to the fire if the conversation is still in the same vein. I appreciate your saying that Ricardo's personal jab was "abusive and disgusting," but it didn't distract me from the argument. As I said, we're discussing the retirement at hand, and yes, some have also taken it to the wider conversation about Fed and Novak vis-a-vis histories of retirements, but it doesn't mean that we stopped talking about one on Tuesday. As you can see above. And some tool being an idiot doesn't put me off my game. I'm used to his crap.
Thanks for the re-iteration of your point. We have slightly different opinions and perceptions but we should stop here.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You have no idea what made Djokovic retire out of that match, so stop pretending you do, Barcalounger Warrior. And stop trolling my orgasms. At least I have them, you neutered involuntarily celibate bottom-feeder.

PS: Any notion that conversation on the forums in any way inspires an orgasm, imho, connotes a clear and sad misunderstanding of what actually would.
When it’s 100% to 0 over a span of 15 to 20 years, you have to admit they show different commitment to finish a match when injured, there is just no way around it. It’s got nothing to do with what made him retire, obviously you couldn’t see the point because that sudden orgasm blocked your head :D

Oh btw it doesn’t take much to rile you up into orgasmic screaming, does it?:dance2:

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nah I specifically compared their difference career wise, playing dumb or just plain dumb? Btw I don’t recall even once Djoker retired when he was winning, while Fed never retired, full stop.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to agree with this post. We're talking about careers spanning over 20 and 15 years respectively. I'm not seriously going to buy that all of Djokovic's injuries just happened to be more severe, especially when those retirements are almost never followed by any time off (not doubting for a second the legitimacy of his last injury though, to be clear).
You definitely digested what I said earlier well, who’s your daddy? :lol3:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You definitely digested what I said earlier well, who’s your daddy? :lol3:

This implies that I actually read your posts unless I get notified that you responded to me, in which case I give you 2 minutes of my time to make you look like the grade A idiot that you are.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This implies that I actually read your posts unless I get notified that you responded to me, in which case I give you 2 minutes of my time to make you look like the grade A idiot that you are.
And you disputed my ownership of your sorry butt, again who’s your daddy? :D

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Any news on the shoulder?
Diagnostic procedure in Swiss at the moment.
It looks like he could get another surgery and close this season.
And there were poor bastards in this forum that wrote about fake injury. Stanislas showed in the next round what he is capable of. They really thought he could beat a healthy Novak in straights, what experts they are. Wow !

His biggest mistake was not to retire earlier.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And there were poor bastards in this forum that wrote about fake injury. Stanislas showed in the next round what he is capable of. They really thought he could beat a healthy Novak in straights, what experts they are. Wow !

Novak has 2,600 points to defend for the rest of the year as well.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Wait, is the news confirmed or just a rumor? (I’m talking about the surgery) If it is true, wow that’s a HUGE news. Also, if he does follow through the surgery, he might not play the 2020 Australian Open. I hope there’s no surgery because that will be a bummer for him and his fans!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

backhandslapper

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

That does not sound too good. Where did you get the news from?

It was obvious in the match against Londero that he was in pain; you could tell by his facial expression when playing BH right before the massage. I suppose the people who accused him of faking the injury did not see that match.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Well, let us know what you hear, Bonaca. A little too much skepticism around here about motivations behind withdrawals, or not believing a player is injured, when s/he is.