Djokovic Fans thread

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Fed just finished his match despite being injured himself, there is a reason Fed never quit mid match while Djoker 'grand slammed' out on injuries. It's definitely all about that Stan was winning, so he gave up.
You cannot compare one injury with another.
You don’t know any detail of the injury, is it bursitis or tendinitis, which tendon, maybe a partial tear. He could slice a lot against Londero, he did this not for fun. Against stanislas he had to play the double backhand and serve more aggressive . That surly didn’t help.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
You have no idea if that is the reason. Sure it could be the reason or it could be that he felt something really was wrong with his shoulder. Take for example a player who is up a set and twists and snaps their knee and then can't go on . Do they continue to play on because they are winning? Only the player knows the true reason what is going on with their body. These players are professional athletes and competitors who have been playing this game for a long time and they don't likely just like to give up and quit unless there is a valid reason.

The reason most probably is his estimation that no matter what I do, I am not going to win this match, why unnecessarily possibly aggravate the situation.

It is not the case that he picked up the injury during this match. It was a pre-existing injury. He tried to play with it and when the writing is on the wall, he quit. IMHO, it is not very good. He should have stayed on the court for 15 more minutes and lost the match properly.

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
The reason most probably is his estimation that no matter what I do, I am not going to win this match, why unnecessarily possibly aggravate the situation.

It is not the case that he picked up the injury during this match. It was a pre-existing injury. He tried to play with it and when the writing is on the wall, he quit. IMHO, it is not very good. He should have stayed on the court for 15 more minutes and lost the match properly.
I don't think you are grasping the full thing I am saying. An injury being it pre- existing or happen withing the time frame of the match can change in a matter of seconds of the seriousness of the injury and you or me or any fan in those stands have no idea what he was feeling at that moment. I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I just would rather be on the cautious side. Maybe that is due to that fact I work in the medical field.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think you are grasping the full thing I am saying. An injury being it pre- existing or happen withing the time frame of the match can change in a matter of seconds of the seriousness of the injury and you or me or any fan in those stands have no idea what he was feeling at that moment. I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I just would rather be on the cautious side. Maybe that is due to that fact I work in the medical field.

I also work in the medical field and I totally agree with your comments,what is the use of making an injury worse? I feel he made the correct decision.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
As a small defense of the crowd, I disagree with you that they all knew he had a shoulder problem, and if you didn't know that, it may have looked like he retired because he was losing badly. It wasn't so obvious by the way he played, to the casual observer. Not true, but I'm just saying. I go to this event most years and talk to lots of people. If you think they are all up on the minutiae of tennis, as we are here, you'd be wrong. People go because they are fans of one player, for example. Or because they play tennis more than they follow it, and this is our local. Or it's a big event, so they make NYC and the Open a destination. My points are that: A) a lot of people probably didn't know about or see the effects of a shoulder injury; B) some number of the fans in the stadium would have been Fedal fans, and therefore disinclined to Novak (per tented's article,) C) they paid a lot of money for those tickets, so felt a bit jipped, and D) probably a fair number of them had been drinking. This is not to excuse poor behavior, but perhaps to explain it a bit more.
It explains it really more. But for me still very poor behaviour Moxie.
Is it typical for New Yorker or all americanos? Just asking because I didn’t know much about USA, just common European knowledge I guess.
Was twice there, a week in NY and 5 weeks trip along the west coast with my wife. Wasn’t impressed by the mentality.
For my wife and me, the Latinos were the nicest, maybe because of the same deep catholic background. Warmer behaviour and not so superficial. Made the same experiences with German people.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It explains it really more. But for me still very poor behaviour Moxie.
Is it typical for New Yorker or all americanos? Just asking because I didn’t know much about USA, just common European knowledge I guess.
Was twice there, a week in NY and 5 weeks trip along the west coast with my wife. Wasn’t impressed by the mentality.
For my wife and me, the Latinos were the nicest, maybe because of the same deep catholic background. Warmer behaviour and not so superficial. Made the same experiences with German people.
I think you would make a mistake to draw broad cultural conclusions for a few small samples. Let's face it, in tennis terms, the French crowd is notoriously rude, too. They booed their own player off the court in Tsonga a few years back.

Reactions: Bonaca

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think you would make a mistake to draw broad cultural conclusions for a few small samples. Let's face it, in tennis terms, the French crowd is notoriously rude, too. They booed their own player off the court in Tsonga a few years back.

But isn’t that a broad cultural conclusion based on a sample of one?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I am more in agreement with Double Bagel and Margaret on this one. Djokovic had a lot on the line in this Major, given the GOAT race. If he felt he could continue without doing further damage, I personally believe he'd have given it every shot. As I said about the crowd reaction, I think they didn't see that he had physical issues, and so wondered about him bailing. But we here know a lot about the stakes, and I find it hard to believe he simply didn't want to stay out and lose. If his shoulder could have taken it, I firmly believe he'd have pushed it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But isn’t that a broad cultural conclusion based on a sample of one?
Not only. They've been rough on Nadal and Serena, for example. All I'm saying is that they are a notoriously "opinionated" crowd, as is the NY one. Another point worth making is that Majors get pretty international crowds, so the US Open isn't all NYers or Americans, and RG isn't only French people or Parisians. And no crowd is made up of the exact same people on any given day. But there is a crowd mentality. IMO, as regards to the Majors, the crowds at USO and RG tend to be more vocal and opinionated, the Oz and Wimbledon ones a bit more genteel. You can argue with me on that, if you like, but what I'm also saying to Bonaca is that it doesn't necessarily tell you anything/much about the French, the Americans, the English or the Australians.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You cannot compare one injury with another.
You don’t know any detail of the injury, is it bursitis or tendinitis, which tendon, maybe a partial tear. He could slice a lot against Londero, he did this not for fun. Against stanislas he had to play the double backhand and serve more aggressive . That surly didn’t help.
yes I can compare the persons though, one never quits and another has done more than I can remember...…….surely in at least one of those times it didn't bother him as much as one of Fed's yet he quit, while grandpa stayed on.

Don't tell me not even once Fed's injury didn't bother him more than any of Djoker's (when he quit). Show some common sense please, just can't reason with Djoker fans....again Moxie gets orgasm from nonsense posts.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
yes I can compare the persons though, one never quits and another has done more than I can remember...…….surely in at least one of those times it didn't bother him as much as one of Fed's yet he quit, while grandpa stayed on.

Don't tell me not even once Fed's injury didn't bother him more than any of Djoker's (when he quit). Show some common sense please, just can't reason with Djoker fans....again Moxie gets orgasm from nonsense posts.
You have no idea what made Djokovic retire out of that match, so stop pretending you do, Barcalounger Warrior. And stop trolling my orgasms. At least I have them, you neutered involuntarily celibate bottom-feeder.

PS: Any notion that conversation on the forums in any way inspires an orgasm, imho, connotes a clear and sad misunderstanding of what actually would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double Bagel

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

No logic in your post. Baseless assumptions.
Again different injuries are not comparable, it is really that simple. Nothing complicated.

If you think of fake injury, than we have nothing to talk about.

Reactions: Double Bagel

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal has like 100 injuries in his career missing so many opportunities to win slams year after year underachieving so much and barely playing full seasons and his fans stay strong. :good:

Federer and Djokovic have like 3 injuries during their whole careers, mostly playing to their full potential and barely missing slams for over a decade, and their fans are crybabies. :facepalm:

The funny thing is that despite having way more setbacks Nadal will still pass them both. He would have done it a long time ago if he was as lucky as them. :bye:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal has like 100 injuries in his career missing so many opportunities to win slams year after year underachieving so much and barely playing full seasons and his fans stay strong. :good:

Federer and Djokovic have like 3 injuries during their whole careers, mostly playing to their full potential and barely missing slams for over a decade, and their fans are crybabies. :facepalm:

The funny thing is that despite having way more setbacks Nadal will still pass them both. He would have done it a long time ago if he was as lucky as them. :bye:
both Nole and the old Swiss undewent surgery with long rehab after that...not Manacor's bull, it's a big difference. tendinitis are a pain in the ass but nothing to be compared with surgery

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
both Nole and the old Swiss undewent surgery with long rehab after that...not Manacor's bull, it's a big difference. tendinitis are a pain in the ass but nothing to be compared with surgery

At the very end of their careers after playing all their prime years pretty much injury free. Rafa missed slams and months of play having to start over and over for most of his career.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
You have no idea what made Djokovic retire out of that match, so stop pretending you do
Actually I agree with the opinion that if one player (Joker in this case) retired in his career many times while another (Fed) never retired, then the former player denies his opponents a proper victory while the latter one plays more fairly, to the end. The argument is not that the injuries were the same during this tournament but that over their whole careers, the two players have dealt with their injuries differently. You may argue that Joker's injuries have almost always been so bad to warrant immediate retirements while Fed's were benign enough to allow playing to the end. Really? I don't think so. You may say that their playing styles are different therefore different injuries/risks of aggravating, so the retirement rate would be bigger in case of Joker. But the difference of almost 100% to 0% cannot be explained with such argument. So Moxie you are incorrect here. In this particular exchange, there is no need to explain "what made Djokovic retire" in his latest match or in previous matches, so such argument is stawman.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually I agree with the opinion that if one player (Joker in this case) retired in his career many times while another (Fed) never retired, then the former player denies his opponents a proper victory while the latter one plays more fairly, to the end. The argument is not that the injuries were the same during this tournament but that over their whole careers, the two players have dealt with their injuries differently. You may argue that Joker's injuries have almost always been so bad to warrant immediate retirements while Fed's were benign enough to allow playing to the end. Really? I don't think so. You may say that their playing styles are different therefore different injuries/risks of aggravating, so the retirement rate would be bigger in case of Joker. But the difference of almost 100% to 0% cannot be explained with such argument. So Moxie you are incorrect here. In this particular exchange, there is no need to explain "what made Djokovic retire" in his latest match or in previous matches, so such argument is stawman.

I have to agree with this post. We're talking about careers spanning over 20 and 15 years respectively. I'm not seriously going to buy that all of Djokovic's injuries just happened to be more severe, especially when those retirements are almost never followed by any time off (not doubting for a second the legitimacy of his last injury though, to be clear).

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
OK, let's look at this in another perspective of another sport that has injuries. Let's take the concussion protocol in football. How about if we left that decision once a player got their bell rung up to them to make the decision if they left the game to get checked out instead of the referee making the decision. There would be a handful of players who would take themselves out of the game, but most would stay in the game because they are competitors by nature. Is that really the smart thing to do for their bodies though? Think about it? Look at the recent decision by Andrew Luck who got boo'ed by his own fans when he decided to retire from football because he had many injuries over the years. That was ridiculous that the fans left him leaving the field for the last time hearing that. He only knows how his body feels as does Novak or any other professional athlete and they have all the right to treat their body the way they feel is right for their future.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
OK, let's look at this in another perspective of another sport that has injuries. Let's take the concussion protocol in football. How about if we left that decision once a player got their bell rung up to them to make the decision if they left the game to get checked out instead of the referee making the decision. There would be a handful of players who would take themselves out of the game, but most would stay in the game because they are competitors by nature. Is that really the smart thing to do for their bodies though? Think about it? Look at the recent decision by Andrew Luck who got boo'ed by his own fans when he decided to retire from football because he had many injuries over the years. That was ridiculous that the fans left him leaving the field for the last time hearing that. He only knows how his body feels as does Novak or any other professional athlete and they have all the right to treat their body the way they feel is right for their future.
Football is not comparable to tennis here because retirement of one injured player does not mean the end of the match. The player is substituted and the ball game is going on to the conclusion.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
Football is not comparable to tennis here because retirement of one injured player does not mean the end of the match. The player is substituted and the ball game is going on to the conclusion.
I understand that, but I am talking more in the perspective of the injuries itself and the effect they have on the player.