Davis Cup

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thailand almost made a fantastic comeback against Pakistan. TRONGCHAROENCHAIKU beat QURESHI to level the series but unfortunately WACHIRAMANOWONG lost in the fifth to KHAN.

I take the opportunity to ask you all to a fantastic on line scrabble game where you can only use names of tennis players.
Maybe could have helped me with this miserable Scrabble pull.
WTF.jpg

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
yep, we've got another opportunity to win the trophy this year, hope we won't waste it this time (like in 2014), hope to see my country win 2017's edition

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
final'll be played in Lille like in 2014, we all hope not to be ridiculous and shameful this time

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
On paper Belgium has a higher seeded Goffin who should get two wins for Belgium if seedings hold. So, it won't be a cakewalk for France. However, I think (or may be I should say) I hope France gets it done this time. Otherwise it will be embarrassing. Hope they have a good game plan in selection of surfaces, players and scheduling of whom to play when.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After day 1 in the finals:
Goffin - Pouille 3-0
Tsonga - Darcis 3-0

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the frenchies will win the doubles easily.

Then Tsonga would need to win against Goffin in the 4th match. But, Tsonga could possibly fail due to newfound mojo of Goffin.

But, it should not matter too much as the 5th match is almost a shoe in for the frenchies, if needed.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hope Richie and PHH can win the double 'cause Goffin"ll probably blast Tsonga keep my fingers crossed
allez France

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The frenchies win the doubles as expected. If Tsonga loses, Noah has a tough decision to make for the final reverse singles.
Gasquet or Pouille? Who can be trusted to beat Darcis. Either one should be able to do so on paper. But, they play the match
on court instead of on paper. Many lesser known players have become heroes in such situations. Even though the event is
held in France, it is like a neutral court as Belgium is neighboring country and hopefully there will be many of their fans as well in the
audience.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to France!

Finally a DC win for the first time since 2001.

Goffin showed his mojo by beating Tsonga in straights. It appears that Darcis is too old and too weak to indulge in heroics, as he lost in straights to Pouille as well.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Congratulations to France!

Finally a DC win for the first time since 2001.

Goffin showed his mojo by beating Tsonga in straights. It appears that Darcis is too old and too weak to indulge in heroics, as he lost in straights to Pouille as well.

Belgium needed another player to wrap this up! I had no doubt about the ultimate result, but Tsonga made it more difficult dropping match to Goffin today! That shouldn't have happened; esp. in straits! Will have to chk it out later! Congrats! :clap: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Belgium needed another player to wrap this up! I had no doubt about the ultimate result, but Tsonga made it more difficult dropping match to Goffin today! That shouldn't have happened; esp. in straits! Will have to chk it out later! Congrats! :clap: :rolleyes: :ptennis:
Obi Wan really was the best player this Fall..too bad his mojo wasn't working vs Grigor

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Obi Wan really was the best player this Fall..too bad his mojo wasn't working vs Grigor

I like Goffin enough, but without a real weapon, he's just not going to threaten the elites of the game! You have to have something in your game to fall back on in the crunch and being able to defend isn't enough! Ya have to have a tough serve, killer FH, or passing shot that makes an impression on opponents, but OB1's light-saber settings are at the level of a good junior player! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I would like to see a junior player who could beat Federer at the YEC, but ok...

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I would like to see a junior player who could beat Federer at the YEC, but ok...

I sound like a broken record, but all you have to do is go back to 2009 YEC! It was just one of those tourneys; players distracted or/and tired! Davydenko, who's little more than a good junior player handled the elites to win a Masters and the YEC with everyone there including Fedalovicray! He could boast of getting to #3 or #4, but his game would be overrun by guys outside the top 100 now! :whistle: :rolleyes:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I sound like a broken record, but all you have to do is go back to 2009 YEC! It was just one of those tourneys; players distracted or/and tired! Davydenko, who's little more than a good junior player handled the elites to win a Masters and the YEC with everyone there including Fedalovicray! He could boast of getting to #3 or #4, but his game would be overrun by guys outside the top 100 now! :whistle: :rolleyes:
Do you know what are you talking about? You make me laugh.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Goffin enough, but without a real weapon, he's just not going to threaten the elites of the game! You have to have something in your game to fall back on in the crunch and being able to defend isn't enough! Ya have to have a tough serve, killer FH, or passing shot that makes an impression on opponents, but OB1's light-saber settings are at the level of a good junior player! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

More rubbish here. JWT is a player way past his peak, going downhill, Goffin is ascending and getting better. If Ferrer was able to be #3 player, there is no reason Goffin cannot do the same thing.

Reactions: Moxie

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to France, and happy for our friend @isabelle!
Thanks, I'm happy for them and for all my country. let me tell you a funny thing : David Goffin, Lucas and Clemence, Jo Will wife and kid, PHH and wife'll start soon to holiday all together . isn't it sweet to see yesterday's opponents get along well outside courts ? Clémence said "we're going to tease David"....and she had a big laught... she added David was one of Lucas's best friend...I wish all people can be like them.
Congrats to all players for this great tennis's week end, we enjoyed it very much. Thanks guys, you're all fantastic

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Davis Cup slipped by unnoticed last weekend. Here are the World Group results, and the QFs:

France d. Netherlands 3-1
Italy d. Japan 3-1
Spain d. Great Britain 3-1
Germany d. Australia 3-1
Kazakhstan d. Switzerland 4-1
Coatia d. Canada 3-1
USA d. Serbia 3-1
Belgium d. Hungary 3-2 **

**Can anyone explain to me how Hungary was in World Group?

Quarterfinals:

France v. Italy
Spain v. Germany

Kazakhstan v. Croatia
USA v. Belgium

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
That so wield Hungary that was in the world group, and Australia loses in the first round NO NO Looks like Spain are going to win.