isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsonga announced he would play vs Serbia

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Australia v Belgium Semi Final

Kokkinakis dropped in favour of John Millman... bit of a surprise to me.

1. Goffin v Millman
2. Darcis v Kyrgios
3. Bemelmans/De Greef v Peers/Thompson
4. Goffin v Kyrgios
5. Darcis v Millman

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Australia v Belgium Semi Final

Kokkinakis dropped in favour of John Millman... bit of a surprise to me.

1. Goffin v Millman
2. Darcis v Kyrgios
3. Bemelmans/De Greef v Peers/Thompson
4. Goffin v Kyrgios
5. Darcis v Millman
I am surprised to see Kokkinakis out. If he's injured again, I'll be wondering if he's ever going to reach potential.

Next question is who plays for Serbia v. France.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am surprised to see Kokkinakis out. If he's injured again, I'll be wondering if he's ever going to reach potential.

Next question is who plays for Serbia v. France.

He's not injured - Hewitt dropped him in favour of Millman.

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He's not injured - Hewitt dropped him in favour of Millman.

It seems to happen a lot in Australia! The 1st time it happened was when the captain wasn't happy with their effort and went back to the VETs! The Next Gen down there are terribly talented, but you need more than that to win when it counts for your country! :facepalm:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
France v Serbia Semi Final

1. Pouille v Lajovic
2. Tsonga v Djere
3. Herbert/Mahut v Krajinovic/Zimonjic
4. Tsonga v Lajovic
5. Pouille v Djere

On paper, at least - this looks a French victory.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

1. Pouille v Lajovic
2. Tsonga v Djere
4. Tsonga v Lajovic
5. Pouille v Djere

Why are they so deep in France? It's amazing they have so many top players with a burgeoning elite in their Next Gen with the likes of Pouille! ;-)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1. Pouille v Lajovic
2. Tsonga v Djere
4. Tsonga v Lajovic
5. Pouille v Djere

Agreed. I don't even recognize this name "Djere." But the doubles team for Serbia is top-drawer, and Pouille is unpredictable. Should France and Serbia split on Day 1, it could be a tight one.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think France and Australia will win.

Milkman is getting more and more dangerous these days.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lajovic leads Pouille 2 sets to 1....very bad start for France one more time

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pouille did lose. Tsonga seems to be in control, though over the guy we never heard of. And Goffin beat Millman in 4 tight looking ones.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
7-Belgium are level with Australia 1-1

Nick Kyrgios (Australia) beat Steve Darcis (Belgium) 6-3 3-6 6-7(5) 6-1 6-2
David Goffin (Belgium) beat John Millman (Australia) 6-7(4) 6-4 6-3 7-5

6-France are level with 8-Serbia 1-1

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat Laslo Djere (Serbia) 7-6(2) 6-3 6-3
Dusan Lajovic (Serbia) beat Lucas Pouille (France) 6-1 3-6 7-6(7) 7-6(5)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick is a bit like del Potro, in that he seems to step up when playing for team and country. (I could add Nalbandian and Safin here.)

And I do think that France could be in trouble by not going 2-0 today. Serbia's doubles team are formidable.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
f
Nick is a bit like del Potro, in that he seems to step up when playing for team and country. (I could add Nalbandian and Safin here.)

And I do think that France could be in trouble by not going 2-0 today. Serbia's doubles team are formidable.
formidable as you say especially Nenad....I'm anxious for this tie, Pouille played poorly and Tsonga can't do all alone

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
f

formidable as you say especially Nenad....I'm anxious for this tie, Pouille played poorly and Tsonga can't do all alone
You can relax a bit, because France won today, as did Australia. Each leads 2-1 going into Sunday.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Thailand almost made a fantastic comeback against Pakistan. TRONGCHAROENCHAIKU beat QURESHI to level the series but unfortunately WACHIRAMANOWONG lost in the fifth to KHAN.

I take the opportunity to ask you all to a fantastic on line scrabble game where you can only use names of tennis players.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It seems to happen a lot in Australia! The 1st time it happened was when the captain wasn't happy with their effort and went back to the VETs! The Next Gen down there are terribly talented, but you need more than that to win when it counts for your country! :facepalm:
Next generation in Australia are pretty good, but "terribly talented" is an overstatement.
Nick barely defeated Darcis in 5 and lost to Goffin in 4.
Overall this is not at par to a future great. There is a lot of expectations on his shoulders and he has not delivered so far.

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Russia was beaten surprisingly by Hungary.
The next gen trio Khachanov, Rublev, Medvedev, plus veteran Kravchuk comes up short 1-3 to a team based on Fucsovics and Balazs. Have you heard of them, ever?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Next generation in Australia are pretty good, but "terribly talented" is an overstatement.
Nick barely defeated Darcis in 5 and lost to Goffin in 4.
Overall this is not at par to a future great. There is a lot of expectations on his shoulders and he has not delivered so far.

Nick "rolled" Nadal just a month ago; so he has the weapons! He just needs to become more consistent and keep his head on straight! One of the major problems for most, if not all Next Gens is that; and of course their bodies breaking down with the effort it takes to play tennis these days! In the old days (dating myself again), you just didn't have all this happening with withdrawals, extended absences, and people working the system to save their rankings! There was a little of it with the ladies due to them being allowed to join the tour too soon; Andrea Jaeger and Tracy Austin the poster kids for such abuse! They thought they could lick the problem, but again, fame HO parents and managers couldn't accept any kind of limitations, going to court and pushing it anyway; hence the Capriati Rule in '90! It's obscene to see this happening with all the money floating around with a willingness to do anything to get their piece of the pie! The Vets are little better; constantly kvetchin' about how long the season is, but continue to extend play with their votes creating more events; not even counting those ridiculous contracts to play in Asia on those team events in the off season! It's getting harder and harder to even watch IMO! I don't want to hear about their backstories, the constant injury retirements or WD's, and acting as if they're being victimized! :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Russia was beaten surprisingly by Hungary.
The next gen trio Khachanov, Rublev, Medvedev, plus veteran Kravchuk comes up short 1-3 to a team based on Fucsovics and Balazs. Have you heard of them, ever?
Fucsovics made some noise at Wimbledon. It's sort of a noticeable name, but not good from Khachanov, Rublev and Medvedev.