BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2024 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We'll see! Who was it that said, "the reports of my death were greatly exaggerated?" Nole only needs a MC Masters to own 3 Golden Masters, then a FO to have 4 CGS's! Everything's gravy as we all know by now; anything just increasing the lead he already owns in all the important records! :fearful-face:
He's definitely been sweeping up some hardware after his biggest opponents became lesser. Nice to be still standing at tail end. But still, even Novak is susceptible to age and youngsters. Sure, we'll see. Even I don't think that Novak is done. But he's running out of time and airstrip. It's inevitable.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He's definitely been sweeping up some hardware after his biggest opponents became lesser. Nice to be still standing at tail end. But still, even Novak is susceptible to age and youngsters. Sure, we'll see. Even I don't think that Novak is done. But he's running out of time and airstrip. It's inevitable.
My cousin texted me and said the way to defeat Novak
1. Be Italian
2. Hit Hard LOL! of course that is an Italian speaking :)

Honestly Novaks' game was off from the start of the match, anyway lets see what happens in Miami

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just quickly looked at Meddys match, what are these 'new' tactics Gilles Simon is bringing to his game, so far I haven seen any
as usual he lost focus and dropped the 2nd set

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My cousin texted me and said the way to defeat Novak
1. Be Italian
2. Hit Hard LOL! of course that is an Italian speaking :)

Honestly Novaks' game was off from the start of the match, anyway lets see what happens in Miami
Novak's game was so much "off" as it never really got going. Nardi played his game, Novak didn't really. Either he just expected the Italian to roll over, or he waited too long to find out he wouldn't. Or, he just didn't play as well as Nardi did today.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak's game was so much "off" as it never really got going. Nardi played his game, Novak didn't really. Either he just expected the Italian to roll over, or he waited too long to find out he wouldn't. Or, he just didn't play as well as Nardi did today.
Nardi deserved his win, Nardi played his game,held his nerve and didnt falter at the end.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know it was v. Medvedev, and it did go 3, but hope fades for Korda to break through.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
IW organizers have suddenly decided to host a mixed doubles event this Wednesday.Players have tonight received a letter from tournament director Tommy Haas offering the chance to enter an eight - team invitational starting on Wednesday.The prize pot is $150,000.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched the last set of the match between the Serbian Slayer and the young Italian, and it was high-quality stuff. This young man beat him. Novak was not spraying unforced errors all over the place. Instead, this young gun was firing on all cylinders and hitting a lot of winners or otherwise forcing an error. He took this from the great man. It is the kind of match that makes you think that, if he can do this even half the time he plays, we may be looking at another top contender in the years to come. To have that kind of game is a rarity and under pressure, to boot! Even if he can play at 75% of that level fairly routinely, he will easily be in the top 30 within a short period of time. He had far better hands at the net than I expected, is serve is already a decent weapon and his back court game is able to push around the number one player in the world. I am not saying he is going to when the tournament in the let down should not be unexpected after such a momentous victory. What I am saying is that what I saw was better than I expected of someone his age not named Carlos Alcaraz.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IW organizers have suddenly decided to host a mixed doubles event this Wednesday.Players have tonight received a letter from tournament director Tommy Haas offering the chance to enter an eight - team invitational starting on Wednesday.The prize pot is $150,000.
Like, out-of-the blue? This seems like a pick-up game. How weird.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, Nardi is already a better player than Djokovic ever was, and oh he's also more charismatic and better looking. Where does Djokovic go from here? Pushing doesn't work anymore, retirement soon for Djokovic... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched the last set of the match between the Serbian Slayer and the young Italian, and it was high-quality stuff. This young man beat him. Novak was not spraying unforced errors all over the place. Instead, this young gun was firing on all cylinders and hitting a lot of winners or otherwise forcing an error. He took this from the great man. It is the kind of match that makes you think that, if he can do this even half the time he plays, we may be looking at another top contender in the years to come. To have that kind of game is a rarity and under pressure, to boot! Even if he can play at 75% of that level fairly routinely, he will easily be in the top 30 within a short period of time. He had far better hands at the net than I expected, is serve is already a decent weapon and his back court game is able to push around the number one player in the world. I am not saying he is going to when the tournament in the let down should not be unexpected after such a momentous victory. What I am saying is that what I saw was better than I expected of someone his age not named Carlos Alcaraz.

Meh, I disagree. Vukic also gave Djokovic a difficult match and could have also won. Someone like Sinner would have trashed Djokovic 6-3, 6-1 this week.

• Haha

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas in real trouble v. Lehecka. He had break back chances last game, but now Lehecka will serve for the match, 5-4, after winning the first 6-2.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsitsipas in real trouble v. Lehecka. He had break back chances last game, but now Lehecka will serve for the match, 5-4, after winning the first 6-2.
Nice to see Berdy in Jiri's box, Jiri has been playing out of his 'skin' so far at IW,
Well done Jiri first Czech since Berdych in 2017 to reach a M1000 QF!

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and kskate2

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
After watching the highlights again and the way Nardi and Vukic exposed Djokovic this week, I'm confident that even I could beat Djokovic these days. :good:

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we all should take a 'Deep Breath' where Luca is concerned
Yes he played a good level match against Novak ( his idol by the way, he still has a poster of him on his bedroom door, God love him )
He played in 2023 in NEXT GEN finals and has had success on the challenger tour
It is good to see Italians have good depth in the ATP Tour ( finally)
Lets see how he plays against Tommy Paul in his next match, he might well have a 'let down' after beating Novak, which he have seen many times when a top seed has been eliminated.

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think we all should take a 'Deep Breath' where Luca is concerned
Yes he played a good level match against Novak ( his idol by the way, he still has a poster of him on his bedroom door, God love him )
He played in 2023 in NEXT GEN finals and has had success on the challenger tour
It is good to see Italians have good depth in the ATP Tour ( finally)
Lets see how he plays against Tommy Paul in his next match, he might well have a 'let down' after beating Novak, which he have seen many times when a top seed has been eliminated.
Yes. Let's hope he doesn't have the typical letdown and play like a zombie tomorrow