BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2024 - ATP Masters 1000

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Summary from my visit in Indian Wells on March 7th, Thursday:

Jakub Mensik: He has EASY power on both wings and his serve. He would love the IW conditions because he can easily hit through the ball in these conditions. He reminds me of Tomas Berdych (ironically they are both Czechs). Also, for an 18-year old, he is a huge guy! He is pretty much developed physically at 18.5 years old. One underrated part of his game that I like is that he does is the use of his drop-shot. For a big guy and having powerful ground strokes, he does not mind using that drop-shot to change the pace a little bit. Before I forget, he will also occasionally will finish the point on the net, so at least he some type of variety on his game already. His 2nd serve can be improved because sometimes he just puts the ball in to start the rally. However, he can hit some huge 2nd serves when he needs to, he just needs to trust it more. Overall, he will be a very good player as long he keeps improving his game overall!

Arthur Fils: My first impression watching him live: He can generate A LOT of power on both wings and his serve considering for his size (73 inches or 182 cm)! Like he can crank the ball! He actually hit a 140 mph serve! I am not even kidding either! I was like, "Woah, this kid can generate some power!" One change that Fils did that I really like is his service motion, particularly his ball toss. Last year, he was serve toss was high (like Del Potro did) so he lost some pop on his serve. This year, he changed his service motion and now he can crank his serve easily! One thing he needs to mindful though is to change the pace a little bit once in a while so he doesn't get predictable on his serves. This leads me to his weakness: While I like/love his aggressiveness and powerful shots, he needs to add some variety on his game. The reason I say this is because when he gets down in the match or he is making UFEs, he seems to get more aggressive instead of playing percentage tennis. Against Top 10 players, those powerful shots will get neutralized easily. The good thing though is that he is ONLY 19.5 years old so he ample of time to become more patient once in a while. Before I forget, Fils is really athletic and muscular at his young age! When I saw him came to the court, I was like "He does not look 19 years old at all!" Finally, it looks like a lot of fans (at least in IW) know Arthur Fils and his great potential as a player. A lot of fans came to watch him play and people were cheering for him when he broke serve in the 1st set at 4-5.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Summary from my visit in Indian Wells on March 7th, Thursday:

Jakub Mensik: He has EASY power on both wings and his serve. He would love the IW conditions because he can easily hit through the ball in these conditions. He reminds me of Tomas Berdych (ironically they are both Czechs). Also, for an 18-year old, he is a huge guy! He is pretty much developed physically at 18.5 years old. One underrated part of his game that I like is that he does is the use of his drop-shot. For a big guy and having powerful ground strokes, he does not mind using that drop-shot to change the pace a little bit. Before I forget, he will also occasionally will finish the point on the net, so at least he some type of variety on his game already. His 2nd serve can be improved because sometimes he just puts the ball in to start the rally. However, he can hit some huge 2nd serves when he needs to, he just needs to trust it more. Overall, he will be a very good player as long he keeps improving his game overall!

Arthur Fils: My first impression watching him live: He can generate A LOT of power on both wings and his serve considering for his size (73 inches or 182 cm)! Like he can crank the ball! He actually hit a 140 mph serve! I am not even kidding either! I was like, "Woah, this kid can generate some power!" One change that Fils did that I really like is his service motion, particularly his ball toss. Last year, he was serve toss was high (like Del Potro did) so he lost some pop on his serve. This year, he changed his service motion and now he can crank his serve easily! One thing he needs to mindful though is to change the pace a little bit once in a while so he doesn't get predictable on his serves. This leads me to his weakness: While I like/love his aggressiveness and powerful shots, he needs to add some variety on his game. The reason I say this is because when he gets down in the match or he is making UFEs, he seems to get more aggressive instead of playing percentage tennis. Against Top 10 players, those powerful shots will get neutralized easily. The good thing though is that he is ONLY 19.5 years old so he ample of time to become more patient once in a while. Before I forget, Fils is really athletic and muscular at his young age! When I saw him came to the court, I was like "He does not look 19 years old at all!" Finally, it looks like a lot of fans (at least in IW) know Arthur Fils and his great potential as a player. A lot of fans came to watch him play and people were cheering for him when he broke serve in the 1st set at 4-5.
Great analysis Rafa. Keep it coming... :clap:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Business like win from Sinner over Struff 63 64 W 27 UFE 10
17th win in a row
Now the longest win streak by an Italian in tennis history
R4 Shelton or Cerundolo

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
hair dude out there getting smoked by Lehecka

Along w/ Eric Berdych, Rublev & Ruud remind me of David Ferrer! They all insist on staying behind the baseline and bashing it out! It ain't working out for them in the long run! Even someone like Djokovic who has the ability to play that game of attrition, decided it made more sense to venture into the net & cut some of those pts. off! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
My word. I've never seen so many FH's ripped by both in the same match. Balls are being pummeled between these two :exploding-head:

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Big Ben took the 1st set TB. Dangerous strikes back taking the 2nd 6-3. We're heading for a decider

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_0391.jpeg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
LL Nardi gets an early break on Novak. This may be the highlight of his week.

I swear Novak does this on purpose to get extra work and to entertain the masses! He'll drop a set or 2 to some no name; 2 lone sets to his countryman at USO last year! He was up a break in the 2nd vs Nardi after losing 1st set, but just dropped his serve to be back on serve! Can he really lose this 3rd Round against a LL? :fearful-face: :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nardi apparently had a poster of Novak on his bedroom door growing up :)
Nardi down a break in the 2nd set, broke back and we are back on serve 2 all 2nd set, Nardi winning the 1st set 64
These LL or Qualifers have nothing to lose against these Top seeds, they come out swinging from the trees , sometimes it pays off most of the time is dosent
EDIT, Novak wins the 2nd set 63, going 3 sets, the standard of tennis is something you dont want to right home about if you get my drift :)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I swear Novak does this on purpose to get extra work and to entertain the masses! He'll drop a set or 2 to some no name; 2 lone sets to his countryman at USO last year! He was up a break in the 2nd vs Nardi after losing 1st set, but just dropped his serve to be back on serve! Can he really lose this 3rd Round against a LL? :fearful-face: :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face:
Oh, so when Novak lets a scrub hang around, he's just entertaining the crowd. When Carlos or Rafa do it, they're lame and stupid. Okay, got it.