BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2024 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
De Minaur takes the first set off of Zverev, 7-5. Traded breaks in the first.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What is happening to the Big Serb?
Probably age catching up. All the greats say that you can't always access your best game every day, post-30. (See "Wimbledon Final, 2023") Also, he may have underestimated his opponent, and played too passively for too long. Also, he met a hot opponent and got out-played. (Again, see "Wimbledon Final, 2023.)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice to see Zverev put a little ding De Minaur’s confidence. Tough match under difficult conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice to see Zverev put a little ding De Minaur’s confidence. Tough match under difficult conditions.
I know you're not a fan of De Minaur's game, but he controlled a lot of that match. He's not just a pusher, if you ask me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner v. Shelton next. Thoughts on this one?? I think the Italian wins this in two sets.
I think 2 sets, as well. I want to like Shelton, but he's not exactly trending. He's got a long way to go to harness what he has. Sinner, however, has risen a lot in the last months. A friend texted mentioning Sinner's elbow. I haven't really been watching yet. Is there an issue?

EDIT: Oh, I see you just mentioned. What happened?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think 2 sets, as well. I want to like Shelton, but he's not exactly trending. He's got a long way to go to harness what he has. Sinner, however, has risen a lot in the last months. A friend texted mentioning Sinner's elbow. I haven't really been watching yet. Is there an issue?

He hasn’t seemed to be favoring it except during that one game after the one point. Thank goodness.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Probably age catching up. All the greats say that you can't always access your best game every day, post-30. (See "Wimbledon Final, 2023") Also, he may have underestimated his opponent, and played too passively for too long. Also, he met a hot opponent and got out-played. (Again, see "Wimbledon Final, 2023.)

Only in this era can we see such Jadedness to undermine the performance of a 36 yo man who won 3 Majors & barely dropped the 4th in 5 sets! :facepalm:

Reactions: lomaha

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

It's' inevitable w/ all these newbies on tour whacking away at every shot! I just don't feel like I'm missing much when I skip matches on TV! It's just not as entertaining watching the guys trying to take the cover off the ball! I've already given up on the ladies; maybe Osaka could bring me back "into the fold!" Novak was out-played which is nothing new really! He's proved so far that he can be extended & even defeated in BO3! Sascha Z. has def. DJ at the Olympics & a YEC Final! The challenge is for anyone to do it in a major, BO5! So far as a Senior player, Novak's defying physics, Father Time, & Mother Nature! Even if he's not my fave player, you have to appreciate giving it his all w/o all the dramatics as some other camps overdue to RETIRE! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on Jannik put your foot to the peddle and lets end this match Pronto!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done Jannik after a tricky first set winning 76(4) 61
18th consecutive win
150 HC win, first player born in the 2000s to achieve that feat
9th Masters QF
Jannik Forza!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Big Ben does not have the consistency to stay with the likes of Sinner. Windy conditions and some scratchy play from the Italian kept the first set close. This is more of what I had expected. Congrats Jannik. Get a coach Ben.
I had to watch the match seeing Jannik was playing Ben lol! how many times have we both said Get A Coach Ben:)

Reactions: kskate2 and nehmeth