ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Monfils - Thiem; Fog - Sascha; Krach - Delpo are the ones for me! Looking forward to them!

So I've already said that Struff has basically zero chance to win against Djokovic. But for some reason. Any time I see someone write off a match as a not even a match worth mentioning, I get a little worried. Like. Suddenly it makes me think, well, that means the top player is ripe for an upset.

But, I still can't see it. And basically every other match this week for Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed could all be written off as not really worth my time. Like, on the one hand, I still watch a little of Fed's matches because I don't know how much longer we'll have him. And I'll watch a little of Nadal's matches just to see him in all his awesomeness. Which is something that years ago annoyed me because I was busy hating him because he was a threat to Fed. And for a long time I didn't even watch him because I just didn't care about him. But now I know that was a short sighted, idiotic thing to do. Especially here at RG. He's just so dominating. It doesn't even matter that the other guys don't have a chance and aren't good enough to hold a candle to him. Because he doesn't cruise, every game has amazing shots and winners from him.

So.... back on topic. I think we can still probably right off Struff. Even if he has had a mildly better clay season this year. I still don't think he won more than 2 or 3 matches anywhere. We're just finally seeing him connect on his massive strokes and miss less. Enough to trouble players. Like Coric. But Djokovic is simply too experienced for that to be enough. And he'll be dialed in because he knows Struff is playing probably the best tennis of his career.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't really buy this explanation. While there may be two rooms for pressers, the general expectation is that marquee players will be giving their pressers in Room 1 and lesser players in Room 2. Certainly, the expectations would be that both Thiem and Serena would be holding their pressers in Room 1 only.

Serena might have offered to do her presser in Room 2. Especially since she lost, she was more or less doing it to fulfill the obligation (as there is a penalty if you don't do it). She certainly would have liked to be in Room 2, as there will be lesser journalists, less questions and she can go under the radar.

But, that would not be acceptable to the tournament. She pressurized and the tournament organizers succumbed to the pressure. Both Serena and the tournament organizers should be sharing the blame and not just the organizers.
Everything you wrote agrees with the article, and the most logical thing. Right up until the end. Your conclusion doesn't match the facts. I don't understand where you say she "pressurized" the tournament. She asked for the 2nd room. What are you trying to say?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So I've already said that Struff has basically zero chance to win against Djokovic. But for some reason. Any time I see someone write off a match as a not even a match worth mentioning, I get a little worried. Like. Suddenly it makes me think, well, that means the top player is ripe for an upset.

But, I still can't see it. And basically every other match this week for Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed could all be written off as not really worth my time. Like, on the one hand, I still watch a little of Fed's matches because I don't know how much longer we'll have him. And I'll watch a little of Nadal's matches just to see him in all his awesomeness. Which is something that years ago annoyed me because I was busy hating him because he was a threat to Fed. And for a long time I didn't even watch him because I just didn't care about him. But now I know that was a short sighted, idiotic thing to do. Especially here at RG. He's just so dominating. It doesn't even matter that the other guys don't have a chance and aren't good enough to hold a candle to him. Because he doesn't cruise, every game has amazing shots and winners from him.

So.... back on topic. I think we can still probably right off Struff. Even if he has had a mildly better clay season this year. I still don't think he won more than 2 or 3 matches anywhere. We're just finally seeing him connect on his massive strokes and miss less. Enough to trouble players. Like Coric. But Djokovic is simply too experienced for that to be enough. And he'll be dialed in because he knows Struff is playing probably the best tennis of his career.
Excellent rant. And your point is can Struff trouble Djokovic? Like you, the 8-Ball says no. But Novak has been rather flying under the radar, with Fedal in the bottom half. I'd like to see him feel more pressure for the Nole2 Slam.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I'll wait until 'match point' to change "the blog!" It's just bad luck assuming anything in tennis! I did that for those Masters' finals at the end of 2018 season and the opponents rose to the occasion! I'm gonna wait on the match and not even do more than hope Djokovic makes the final in Paris to at least give it "a go" to win his 2nd Nole-Slam! It's a big ask for anyone no matter where they are in their career to win 4 straight majors! It took everything out of him the last time with a sluggish end to the 2016 season; dropping the #1 ranking to Murray after the YEC finals! Is it worth it? YEP! This might be Nole's last chance to win the French Open with Thiem coming along nicely and other players like Tsitsipas, Khachanov, & Medvedev pushing the elites even now! Zverev will turn the corner one of these days as well! :whistle: :oops:

Reactions: Bonaca

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Everything you wrote agrees with the article, and the most logical thing. Right up until the end. Your conclusion doesn't match the facts. I don't understand where you say she "pressurized" the tournament. She asked for the 2nd room. What are you trying to say?

I have already explained. I have never met anyone else other than you in my whole life who has trouble understanding what I am trying to say.

Sure she asked for Room 2. But, she does not get to pick and choose in which room she will give presser. All Marquee players are generally expected to do their pressers in the big room where there is space for lot of journalists.

Because it was busy, she had to wait and she refused to wait.

Reactions: Fiero425

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't really buy this explanation. While there may be two rooms for pressers, the general expectation is that marquee players will be giving their pressers in Room 1 and lesser players in Room 2. Certainly, the expectations would be that both Thiem and Serena would be holding their pressers in Room 1 only.

Serena might have offered to do her presser in Room 2. Especially since she lost, she was more or less doing it to fulfill the obligation (as there is a penalty if you don't do it). She certainly would have liked to be in Room 2, as there will be lesser journalists, less questions and she can go under the radar.

But, that would not be acceptable to the tournament. She pressurized and the tournament organizers succumbed to the pressure. Both Serena and the tournament organizers should be sharing the blame and not just the organizers.

To add to that, I expect it's likely that a lot of the writers were in Thiem's press conference already. They can't be in two places at once. She should have waited, or been told to wait and given the reasons why.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
To add to that, I expect it's likely that a lot of the writers were in Thiem's press conference already. They can't be in two places at once. She should have waited, or been told to wait and given the reasons why.

I feel the officials should have told Serena to wait.....bad blunder on their part.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I'll wait until 'match point' to change "the blog!" It's just bad luck assuming anything in tennis! I did that for those Masters' finals at the end of 2018 season and the opponents rose to the occasion! I'm gonna wait on the match and not even do more than hope Djokovic makes the final in Paris to at least give it "a go" to win his 2nd Nole-Slam! It's a big ask for anyone no matter where they are in their career to win 4 straight majors! It took everything out of him the last time with a sluggish end to the 2016 season; dropping the #1 ranking to Murray after the YEC finals! Is it worth it? YEP! This might be Nole's last chance to win the French Open with Thiem coming along nicely and other players like Tsitsipas, Khachanov, & Medvedev pushing the elites even now! Zverev will turn the corner one of these days as well! :whistle: :oops:

I mean, those losses at the end of last year.... it's one thing to win a best of 3 match on hard courts... with the serve and power of a 6'5" and 6'6" frame. In best of three, if they got there, i.e. the final, they have a chance to win it. In best of five, it's a whole other ball game. None of which you need me to tell you.

As for this being Nole's last chance to win the French.... for one, if it is, one big reason for that is that those guys are coming up, in addition to the fact that Nadal is still playing and is the greatest clay player to ever hold a racket. Not mentioning him is.... just bad form man. Maybe you just considered that as a "DUH" kind of thing. But Nadal is still the guy at the French and will be for at least the next 2 years if not 3 or 4. Unless he up and retires "early."

But even with Nadal and all those other guys.... this is hardly the last chance he has. Those other guys are indeed "coming along nicely." But they still have to prove they can unseat Djokovic. Much less Nadal. Djokovic, even with Thiem getting better at going toe to toe with him and Nadal on clay for 5 sets, is still the second best clay player in the world. Because he's the best player in the world everywhere except clay. And, I don't think he'll be able to be this dominant for much longer. But he'll still have a shot at the French until he's at least 35 or 36. IF his body holds up anything like Fed's has, of course. I mean. Fed didn't dominate for those 5 years without a slam. But he still made the semis regularly and 3 finals. Stayed in the top 3 and 4 for most of that time. Djokovic won't have Fed to deal with in 3 years. Most likely. And Nadal is in the same boat as Djokovic. But maybe his knees do him in sooner. Who knows. But both of them should have... not too much problem staying in the top 10 for at least 3 to 4 more years. I just think we have to get used to the fact that these guys can last so much longer now with the great physical therapy you can get. It's not just Fed. And, with their games, unless they completely lose their timing when they lose a step, they'll continue to be huge threats. And they're still the most experienced grand slam players active after Fed. If anything, if Nadal finally becomes more vulnerable, Djokovic should have more of a chance to win it in the next 3 years.

I HOPE I'm wrong. I hope Thiem has what it takes right now. But at the moment, 2017 is an outlier and Djokovic is still the favorite to win if they meet up in the semis. He's still the favorite against every possible opponent on clay except Nadal. That may start to look different later this year. But I'm betting it's not until at least the end of next year. But again, even after that. Even if Thiem does surpass him for second best clay player. Even if Thiem and Zverev pass him on clay. He'll still have a real good shot at the French for at least 3 years to come. At least.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Based on the article that I quoted, she was happy to go to the 2nd conference room. And she said she thought it was rude that they shuffled Thiem out. I find it surprising that so many here think that it's the players that decide how it goes, not the tournament producers that shuffle the players in and out of their pressers. Would it not also have been seen as "diva-ish" if Serena had refused to go into a press conference, after a loss, in the bigger room, even if she claimed that it was because Thiem had the floor? I think she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Yes, the organizers should have told her to wait, if they'd wanted her to be in that press room. But who has actually said that she refused to wait. I think you've got it, as @MargaretMcAleer does that it was a mistake on the part of the organizers. Ask yourselves this: if Roger had suffered an upset and had been shuffled into the press room, would anyone assume a slight, or that he'd just been pushed in by the organizers?

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Based on the article that I quoted, she was happy to go to the 2nd conference room. And she said she thought it was rude that they shuffled Thiem out. I find it surprising that so many here think that it's the players that decide how it goes, not the tournament producers that shuffle the players in and out of their pressers. Would it not also have been seen as "diva-ish" if Serena had refused to go into a press conference, after a loss, in the bigger room, even if she claimed that it was because Thiem had the floor? I think she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

How about a better option - Serena just waits for Thiem to finish?

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie, this has a feel of a misunderstanding. But there's also a precedent for Serena's "diva-ish" behavior, so I think that's why people assumed it was legit and were annoyed...or at least I speak for myself. I've found her a bit annoying for sometime, but she dropped a big peg in my mind after she essentially ruined the end of the US Open for Osaka due to her hissy fit.

And please don't edge it into hypotheticals re: Roger (or any man, which might be what you're edging towards). The situation involved Serena, not Roger.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How about a better option - Serena just waits for Thiem to finish?
I don't think you read the article I posted. My point is she's not necessarily the one running that part of the show. Or even likely to be. She actually said she preferred to go to the 2nd conference room, which they overruled, so that's how much power she has. I would bet my life that they get shepherded from the courts to the press rooms, handled by producers, and shoved into a press room when it's time for them. It's an assumption, and a huge one, to say that it was Serena that had them yank Thiem out of there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie, this has a feel of a misunderstanding. But there's also a precedent for Serena's "diva-ish" behavior, so I think that's why people assumed it was legit and were annoyed...or at least I speak for myself. I've found her a bit annoying for sometime, but she dropped a big peg in my mind after she essentially ruined the end of the US Open for Osaka due to her hissy fit.

And please don't edge it into hypotheticals re: Roger (or any man, which might be what you're edging towards). The situation involved Serena, not Roger.
I agree that it is all likely a misunderstanding. But I was noting earlier in this thread, when people were talking about preferential treatment to top players re: scheduling. It's all of a piece. The tournament wanted to get Serena in with the top journos, even against what it seemed was her preference. It seems less that Serena shit-canned him than that the organizers did. And Thiem made rather a diva-ish turn out of it. I think too little has been made of that. If he wants to beat Djokovic and get to the final again, he'd better stop complaining about the tournaments mistreating him, as he also did in Rome. IMO, Gunter Resnik would have kicked his ass from here to Sunday for all of the whining. Maybe you're not a "junior" anymore, but you don't have 23 Majors titles, either. Or one. Eyes on the prize, dude.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree that it is all likely a misunderstanding. But I was noting earlier in this thread, when people were talking about preferential treatment to top players re: scheduling. It's all of a piece. The tournament wanted to get Serena in with the top journos, even against what it seemed was her preference. It seems less that Serena shit-canned him than that the organizers did. And Thiem made rather a diva-ish turn out of it. I think too little has been made of that. If he wants to beat Djokovic and get to the final again, he'd better stop complaining about the tournaments mistreating him, as he also did in Rome. IMO, Gunter Resnik would have kicked his ass from here to Sunday for all of the whining. Maybe you're not a "junior" anymore, but you don't have 23 Majors titles, either. Or one. Eyes on the prize, dude.
no no no! You don't get to impugn Thiem for this. His reaction was perfectly correct. If you want to give Serena a pass, that's fine. But you don't get to blame Dominic..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
no no no! You don't get to impugn Thiem for this. His reaction was perfectly correct. If you want to give Serena a pass, that's fine. But you don't get to blame Dominic..
I'm not blaming Dominic for what happened. I'm blaming him for allowing things to distract him. He pulled a total hissy when he lost in Rome, and now he's getting his knickers in a twist over being mistreated in RG. I'm saying that it won't serve him well going forward.

Reactions: mrzz

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If he wants to beat Djokovic and get to the final again, he'd better stop complaining about the tournaments mistreating him, as he also did in Rome. IMO, Gunter Resnik would have kicked his ass from here to Sunday for all of the whining.

I have to agree with this part. He seems distracted a bit and now with this controversy going on. That doesn't help. Makes player to lose his focus. His game in the first few rounds doesn't look too promising.

He plays Monfils today who he beat 4 times and never lost, but if the clown comes hard at him the first set and takes it I see Thiem possibly struggling. Bookies are also giving a Monfils some small chance here.

Reactions: Moxie

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
23 WTA slams don't compare to 1 ATP slam, not even close....you should know that, at the very least. If Thiem plays same tournament, Serena would not have one slam, ever. She is lucky that Thiem plays the good players, while she runs over the weak ones and earns such self granted arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.