ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not blaming Dominic for what happened. I'm blaming him for allowing things to distract him. He pulled a total hissy when he lost in Rome, and now he's getting his knickers in a twist over being mistreated in RG. I'm saying that it won't serve him well going forward.
what evidence is there that he's distracted? Has he played a match since the incident?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not blaming Dominic for what happened. I'm blaming him for allowing things to distract him. He pulled a total hissy when he lost in Rome, and now he's getting his knickers in a twist over being mistreated in RG. I'm saying that it won't serve him well going forward.
bullshit, you say he doesn't have 23 WTA slams so isn't entitled......Thiem was right that even a junior deserves his 5 minutes of glory yet some crappy WTA player would step into his zone, knowing her tennis game is totally below his.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Also I find it highly interesting that if any of us men characterised a justified emotional response from a WTA player as a 'hissy fit' you would most likely be leading the line accusing us of sexism ;)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
things like this wouldn't happen when WTA players used to know their place, this is what happens when society and men give in too much to the feminists, that they actually believe they are big shots. It will come a day when they get put back into their place, wether or not they want. Williams clearly thinks she has the rights not to wait, for Moxie to keep arguing all this bs is just another one of her silly lies to smoke screen her wrong doing. no one should be surprised she would yell out lies everytime things like this happen, you folks happy for her to insult your intelligence?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also I find it highly interesting that if any of us men characterised a justified emotional response from a WTA player as a 'hissy fit' you would most likely be leading the line accusing us of sexism ;)
no hissy fit when she told a linesperson that she'd shove her racquet down her throat (I wonder how many players would ever even think of such things) or that she yells theif at chair umpire. Now Thiem says she has bad personality (with such track record over the years), no surprise Moxie the feminist says its hissy fit. have women lost their heads? hopefully just a select few.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At least Roger has a sense of humor...
he has no option, as he couldn't be too honest about it...…….we all know when a woman is in the wrong, she needs her ego protected otherwise she is so called 'being abused'. he did say that she should've waited, is there any doubt what he really thinks?

Moxie still tries to smoke screen this bs.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Everything you wrote agrees with the article, and the most logical thing. Right up until the end. Your conclusion doesn't match the facts. I don't understand where you say she "pressurized" the tournament. She asked for the 2nd room. What are you trying to say?
since when does player get to chose when or where to do presser? especially someone who just lost.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I'll wait until 'match point' to change "the blog!" It's just bad luck assuming anything in tennis! I did that for those Masters' finals at the end of 2018 season and the opponents rose to the occasion! I'm gonna wait on the match and not even do more than hope Djokovic makes the final in Paris to at least give it "a go" to win his 2nd Nole-Slam! It's a big ask for anyone no matter where they are in their career to win 4 straight majors! It took everything out of him the last time with a sluggish end to the 2016 season; dropping the #1 ranking to Murray after the YEC finals! Is it worth it? YEP! This might be Nole's last chance to win the French Open with Thiem coming along nicely and other players like Tsitsipas, Khachanov, & Medvedev pushing the elites even now! Zverev will turn the corner one of these days as well! :whistle: :oops:
So I've already said that Struff has basically zero chance to win against Djokovic. But for some reason. Any time I see someone write off a match as a not even a match worth mentioning, I get a little worried. Like. Suddenly it makes me think, well, that means the top player is ripe for an upset.

But, I still can't see it. And basically every other match this week for Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed could all be written off as not really worth my time. Like, on the one hand, I still watch a little of Fed's matches because I don't know how much longer we'll have him. And I'll watch a little of Nadal's matches just to see him in all his awesomeness. Which is something that years ago annoyed me because I was busy hating him because he was a threat to Fed. And for a long time I didn't even watch him because I just didn't care about him. But now I know that was a short sighted, idiotic thing to do. Especially here at RG. He's just so dominating. It doesn't even matter that the other guys don't have a chance and aren't good enough to hold a candle to him. Because he doesn't cruise, every game has amazing shots and winners from him.

So.... back on topic. I think we can still probably right off Struff. Even if he has had a mildly better clay season this year. I still don't think he won more than 2 or 3 matches anywhere. We're just finally seeing him connect on his massive strokes and miss less. Enough to trouble players. Like Coric. But Djokovic is simply too experienced for that to be enough. And he'll be dialed in because he knows Struff is playing probably the best tennis of his career.
I see no chance for Struff to come near a win, no matter what form he has shown so far. All matches on the mens side are very interesting , i will watch the Novak match and thiems one, i see them both in the SF.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Novak rolling in, break up in the 1 set. Slow start from him.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paire lighting up the Susanne Lenglen court with a 4th set TB. Saved 2 match points. Of course he had to lose a break up in 4th. There was 7 consecutive service point loses at the end of TB before Paire finally makes it on his serve

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Nishikori shows us that we are absolutely right about him:facepalm:

Reactions: DarthFed

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Piare with a break up. He is a better player at the moment, Nishikori is on his knees. What are the chances Paire blows this one? I hope not, I said 3rd time's a charm, Paire 4:1, Nishikori to serve.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Guys, about the Serena-Thiem debacle... it is a huge click-bait and I cannot believe you are not getting this. Tournament organizers obviously are to blame here (do you people think that it is the first time a player makes demands or behaves as a spoiled princess? Tournament organizers are supposed to handle this kind of thing with ease by now.). Yes, Serena has a past of bad behavior and it is precisely that which is being explored. Her haters are waiting for a chance to pounce, her fans to defend her... guys on the press see the opportunity to earn clicks and retweets and whatever....

...and some smart ass sucker writes the word "feminism" in a post, and then it gets viral. This is sensationalism, tabloid stuff. Luckily Federer gave a lighter spin to it.

Reactions: ftan and Moxie

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Kei is done, Novak in total control

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kei is done, Novak in total control
Not just yet, breaks back. Paire unable to overcome his deamons, literally break out of nowhere, Paire was 40:15, lost 4 points in a row including one double fault.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Whewwww! Paire got that close y'all. 4-2 40-15. Then didn't make another first serve (except maybe down advantage, I've already forgotten) and had a double fault. Nishikori with 5 brilliant returns and Paire couldn't deal with them this time around. Back on serve.

Nishikori's serve will continue to be the more attackable. Especially if these second serve woes continue. But he weathered that particular storm, from Paire and from himself. And while still looks tense, playing slightly more free.

But Paire... man it's a beautiful thing to see him this dialed in and making this many good decisions. He made some poor ones there when he had the chance to get to 5-2. But patient and calm. Taking everything in stride. Making Nishikori go for so much to get these points. And getting the reward. And he gives a Nishikori second serve the treatment it deserves, comes back from 15-40 down and breaks again. He will indeed serve for it.

Nishikori good enough to get the break back earlier and now. But struggles to hold.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't know much about Paire's fitness and how prone he is to injury but it's presumably a lot better than Nishikori who is made of glass so, in that respect, he should prove to be more of a challenge to Nadal if he wins imo. Hopefully now, when he wins.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is getting crazy here, Paire breaks after Samurai was 40:15 up

Status
Not open for further replies.