ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't how many times today Tsitsipas went for a flying volley, but it felt like a lot. Most I have seen he didn't even make or lost a point after, but I find all those tries very amusing.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is some doubt over how JMDP's knees are holding up. If knees are indeed an issue, then KK can surely beat JMDP. On the other hand, if knees are not an issue, I would say JMDP is favorite in this match considering that KK makes lot of UFE and generally has a tendency to go for broke.
Hope Delpo knees are okay and we get a good match. They played last year in AO. It was kind of close in 4 sets, but not too close. I feel Khachanov could push him further this time if he won't make too many errors.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
scheduling?

Yep, but scheduling can only really be an issue when your ancient tournament can't bother to have lights installed or has an early curfew. It's 11:15 local time, they could still be out there if need be...except at RG and Wimbledon.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, but scheduling can only really be an issue when your ancient tournament can't bother to have lights installed or has an early curfew. It's 11:15 local time, they could still be out there if need be...except at RG and Wimbledon.
Lol! These are ancient cities with rules. We have to accept that

Reactions: DarthFed

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
wtf!!! I just heard about happened to Thiem in his post match interview. He was asked to leave the main interview room because Serena wanted to get her interview done quickly. He didn't realise why he was being asked to leave, but when he found out he was majorly pissed. I don't blame him at all. He correctly stated that it was disrespectful and that neither Federer or Rafa would ever do that. I agree with him

Reactions: DarthFed

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
wtf!!! I just heard about happened to Thiem in his post match interview. He was asked to leave the main interview room because Serena wanted to get her interview done quickly. He didn't realise why he was being asked to leave, but when he found out he was majorly pissed. I don't blame him at all. He correctly stated that it was disrespectful and that neither Federer or Rafa would ever do that. I agree with him

We talked about it up-thread, with basic agreement with your sentiment.

I find Serena Williams very difficult to like and of course RG shouldn't pander to her being a diva.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol! These are ancient cities with rules. We have to accept that
I agree about Wimbledon, as it's in a residential neighborhood, but RG could install lights. They can't even go past 9:45. And they're doing a major renovation. Would lights kill the budget? (Side question for you, as you live there: do you think that 11pm is a good curfew for Wimbledon?)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

She's quite the POS. I'm sure she'll try to defend this action in some way though.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree about Wimbledon, as it's in a residential neighborhood, but RG could install lights. They can't even go past 9:45. And they're doing a major renovation. Would lights kill the budget? (Side question for you, as you live there: do you think that 11pm is a good curfew for Wimbledon?)

11 would be a lot better. Isn't it currently 9PM?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is terrible scheduling by the officials today. They knew that Fedal were playing unseeded players and thus will get the job done quickly. On the other hand, they also have reasonable expectation that Man/Perseus and Paire/Samurai will go to distance.

So, they should split the Fedal matches in two different courts (and similarly for the other two matches). Then, everything would have concluded today itself.
Very interesting point. Because the way it shakes out, Fed and Rafa have an advantage in the next round...Roger gets a worn-out opponent, and the older one, at that; and Rafa's opponent will have played at least one set the previous day...not ideal when facing Nadal. Personally, I didn't fancy Kei's or Paire's chances against Nadal, anyway, but they won't have wanted the handicap. I thought either Stan or Stefanos had a good chance to take out Roger, but not after that match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
11 would be a lot better. Isn't it currently 9PM?
At Wimbledon? No, it's 11pm, but that's only on Centre Court, where they have lights. (I don't think the outer courts have lights, but they could fix that, too.) Murray once played (and won) at 11:02pm. The local council says that it's somewhat flexible and up to the tournament, depending on what's going on in the match.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Fortunately I don’t live there anymore. Absolutely it’s a good curfew. It’s uber frustrating having strangers walking through your nice quiet streets. It’s a very residential neighbourhood. I don’t think there’s any place In the world where you have multi million dollar properties where hordes would be tolerated after such a time

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fortunately I don’t live there anymore. Absolutely it’s a good curfew. It’s uber frustrating having strangers walking through your nice quiet streets. It’s a very residential neighbourhood. I don’t think there’s any place In the world where you have multi million dollar properties where hordes would be tolerated after such a time
As in "the great unwashed." ;) But I take your point. Wimbledon is situated where it is, and unless they want to demolish of the tradition that gives W so much cache, they'll have to live with the curfew. But they could put lights on the outer courts, right? To play a bit later for when the rains muck things up?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
wow..the stan/tits epic made for groovy viewing, 5hrd 9m,,

stan sneaked the win and stefanos showed fortitude (a few brain fades tho),

itv4 left federers match to show most of this, which was ideal in terms of dramatic interest.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We talked about it up-thread, with basic agreement with your sentiment.

I find Serena Williams very difficult to like and of course RG shouldn't pander to her being a diva.
Perhaps we might all stand back before we decide what happened. This is a link to a report on it. Apparently, Serena asked to do her interview in Room 2, but the FO officials wanted her in Room 1, so they pushed Thiem out. Even she said that was rude. On top of that, Thiem made rather a stink and said "I'm not a junior player, anymore." Fair enough, but he also threw a hissy at the tournament after he lost in Rome. I mention it only as I think he's beginning to distract himself where he shouldn't. Sideshows can be mentally debilitating, and he's not doing himself any favors.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and mrzz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't have much time to watch today, though I saw a lot of Stan v. Tsitsipas. Sadly, I missed the end. But I was watching the conversation. I agree with those who said that Tsitsipas was probably the one Rafa would least liked to have faced, going forward. Made it hard for me to figure out who to root for in that match, as I like the young Greek, and I don't care so much for Stan. Now Stan will have to test his knees and his resolve against Roger. But if it's a Fedal SF, I say, bring it on!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As in "the great unwashed." ;) But I take your point. Wimbledon is situated where it is, and unless they want to demolish of the tradition that gives W so much cache, they'll have to live with the curfew. But they could put lights on the outer courts, right? To play a bit later for when the rains muck things up?
I highly doubt it. It takes ages to move folks out of the area at that time. If the outer courts were lit up it would put pressure on an area that wouldn’t have sufficient infrastructure

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
34th longest men's singles match of all time ?..wiki has a page on it, updated for todays epic. 5h 9m.

i'm thinking in olden days like pre-1983 (wooden wand era) matches didn't last so long as way shorter rallies and players letting more balls go by..

i was watching some bits of wimbledon from late 60s and noticed no attempt to chase down any lob shots, so point ended there etc..plus more s and v.

Reactions: Moxie and mrzz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I highly doubt it. It takes ages to move folks out of the area at that time. If the outer courts were lit up it would put pressure on an area that wouldn’t have sufficient infrastructure
Good point, thanks. I think it was @GameSetAndMath who pointed out that people have to get out in time to get the last tube, so that is a consideration. Maybe no more whining about the curfew, then, unless people want Wimbledon to decamp to another location.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Perhaps we might all stand back before we decide what happened. This is a link to a report on it. Apparently, Serena asked to do her interview in Room 2, but the FO officials wanted her in Room 1, so they pushed Thiem out. Even she said that was rude. On top of that, Thiem made rather a stink and said "I'm not a junior player, anymore." Fair enough, but he also threw a hissy at the tournament after he lost in Rome. I mention it only as I think he's beginning to distract himself where he shouldn't. Sideshows can be mentally debilitating, and he's not doing himself any favors.

I don't really buy this explanation. While there may be two rooms for pressers, the general expectation is that marquee players will be giving their pressers in Room 1 and lesser players in Room 2. Certainly, the expectations would be that both Thiem and Serena would be holding their pressers in Room 1 only.

Serena might have offered to do her presser in Room 2. Especially since she lost, she was more or less doing it to fulfill the obligation (as there is a penalty if you don't do it). She certainly would have liked to be in Room 2, as there will be lesser journalists, less questions and she can go under the radar.

But, that would not be acceptable to the tournament. She pressurized and the tournament organizers succumbed to the pressure. Both Serena and the tournament organizers should be sharing the blame and not just the organizers.

Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.