2024 WTA News & Gossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Naomi Osaka will pay a qualifying match for the first time since February 2018 tomorrow, facing Anna Blinkova in the 1st round of qualies for WTA1000 Cincinnati
She has been struggling with form since she came back.She is not motivated enough to win these matches.I guess Wim is no longer the go to coach and his stock has gone down.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She has been struggling with form since she came back.She is not motivated enough to win these matches.I guess Wim is no longer the go to coach and his stock has gone down.
Usually HC is her best surface, though she put in a horror match against Elise Mertens in Toronto losing in straight sets, and didnt get a wild card into Cincy so she is back to having to play qualies, I dont think she knew it would be this hard for her to find form coming back from maternity leave, though players have passed her and gotten better, same with Kerber who could not find her former form and retired for good at the Olympics.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Usually HC is her best surface, though she put in a horror match against Elise Mertens in Toronto losing in straight sets, and didnt get a wild card into Cincy so she is back to having to play qualies, I dont think she knew it would be this hard for her to find form coming back from maternity leave, though players have passed her and gotten better, same with Kerber who could not find her former form and retired for good at the Olympics.
Osaka is too young to retire permanently. She just needs a good draw and she is off to the races.She should play challengers or the 125k after the Open if she fails to reach at least the qtrs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka is too young to retire permanently. She just needs a good draw and she is off to the races.She should play challengers or the 125k after the Open if she fails to reach at least the qtrs.
We will see, if she really wants to return to form, and dosent do well in the rest of the HC season, playing challengers or smaller tournaments is a way to get form

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the last QF match in Toronto
Shnaider won the 2nd set 61 over Samsonova, with Samsonova winning the 1st set 64
Going 3 sets now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Diana Shnaider defeating the No 6 seeds Samsonova in the last QF match at Toronto 46 61 64 making the SFs
This young lady has impressed me since Bad Hamburg tournament (grass) she has won titles on all surfaces this year, well done!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She's not going to reach the quarters on this form. I see R3 at best for her. Everyone has improved. The game has definitely passed her by and she needs to do something different to shake the apple tree.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Even if she doesn't defend her title she will be fine.I remember when she had to defend finalist points at RG ,it's all going to be up to the draw that she gets.She knows how to win the Open so its not a big deal.
Saba also has not won a WTA title since 2023.She has been struggling to win titles all year long with the exception of her GS.
Yeah, both Coco and Saba have been struggling of late. Both, especially Coco, have a lot of points to defend in the hard court season. Paolini could easily jump up to #2 in the world with a strong hard court season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, both Coco and Saba have been struggling of late. Both, especially Coco, have a lot of points to defend in the hard court season. Paolini could easily jump up to #2 in the world with a strong hard court season.
Saba has a good excuse she has had a bad shoulder injury and had to withdraw in tournaments
Coco has been struggling since the AO if you look at her results? Brad has done nothing to help that fhand of hers it is getting hammered again, in her recent match at Toronto she had 45 UFE? that is just woeful, also her serve again is letting her down, also she is letting her emotions take over? Coco has always been a fighter on court, lately that has gone, I dont know what the problem is, she better get her focus back ASAP and play tennis , she is facing a lot of points to defend and could find herself down the bottom of the Top Ten, depending on what other players achieve in the coming weeks.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW one of the reasons that Naomi Osaka didnt receive a WC into Cinncy, a lot of people were perplexed that she didnt receive one, is that the womens part of the tournament is still owned by Octagon, Andreescu and Woznacki are Otcogon clients and Osaka is not.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I cannot see Emma Raducanu's name on the qualies list for Cinncy, another player that did not receive a WC into Cinncy
If Emma is serious about getting her ranking up she has to play qualies? it is good match practice for starters, she cannot expect to get wild cards into every tournament!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Saba is also defending finalist pounts plus she played well at the season end finals.
Lots of players are struggling from Jabeur, Rybakina,Pegula was struggling until she took a break..most of these players are burnt out and by this time of the year a lot of them are tired and looking forward to the season.ending.Coco is not the only one in a sophomore slump and on the men side
Sinner is struggling, Medvedev,Rublev,Tsitsipas and Rudd are struggling too.
This happens fortunes fluctuate and who knows what's going to happen.at the Open.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Saba is also defending finalist pounts plus she played well at the season end finals.
Lots of players are struggling from Jabeur, Rybakina,Pegula was struggling until she took a break..most of these players are burnt out and by this time of the year a lot of them are tired and looking forward to the season.ending.Coco is not the only one in a sophomore slump and on the men side
Sinner is struggling, Medvedev,Rublev,Tsitsipas and Rudd are struggling too.
This happens fortunes fluctuate and who knows what's going to happen.at the Open.
BTW Sinner has just come back
from a bad case of tonsilitis he was bed ridden for a week ? reason he could not compete at the Olympics? I was surprise he decided to play in Montreal/ Sinner has had 44 wins, 4 losses this season, win rate is 91.7% he has made at least the QFs at all Ten events that he has played in 2024
Sinner is the first male player to do so since Djokoivc in 2015? so I dont think he is struggling when you look at that win/loss ratio?

Saba has just come back from a bad shoulder injury,?
When you look at Coco's results after the AO they have been sub standard, she is not getting any better tennis wise, maybe she needs a break, in order to get her mind, focus back on her game, because at present she is not competing, that is not the Coco I know, she has always been a fighter.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
BTW Sinner has just come back
from a bad case of tonsilitis he was bed ridden for a week ? reason he could not compete at the Olympics? I was surprise he decided to play in Montreal/ Sinner has had 44 wins, 4 losses this season, win rate is 91.7% he has made at least the QFs at all Ten events that he has played in 2024
Sinner is the first male player to do so since Djokoivc in 2015? so I dont think he is struggling when you look at that win/loss ratio?

Saba has just come back from a bad shoulder injury,?
When you look at Coco's results after the AO they have been sub standard, she is not getting any better tennis wise, maybe she needs a break, in order to get her mind, focus back on her game, because at present she is not competing, that is not the Coco I know, she has always been a fighter.
Well dropping doubles is a start,and hopefully play less events.She is burnt out
and should shutdown her season for a bit.I think sponsors commitments are interfering with her preparation for big events.She now has her lovelife to worry about whether her bf is being faithful or not when she is away on tour.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First womens SF between Navvaro v Anismova has begun
Amanda winning the 1st set 63, good to see she is playing her brand of tennis again in the SF

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well dropping doubles is a start,and hopefully play less events.She is burnt out
and should shutdown her season for a bit.I think sponsors commitments are interfering with her preparation for big events.
I am glad she has stopped playing doubles for starters, though I think it is good for singles player, though not to over play doubles, like Jess and Coco werfe doing.
I understand the position Coco is in with the sponsors expecting her to be at every tournament, still maybe it is having a negative effect on her results, remember sponsors will only hang around if the player is getting good results. I guess it is being able to manage sponsors obligations and playing tennis,
I also feel since Serena retired Coco has had a lot of pressure put on her to perform? which is hard, you cant compare players full stop, and in my opinion there wont be another Serena Willliams, well not in my life time anyway. Coco has been on the tour for sometime, she got the pressure off her back when she won the USO , sometimes players after winning their 1st GS slam title do not post the results that we expect them so., it takes the player sometime to adjust, in saying that Coco is too good of an athlete not to be able to re focus on her game, I hope she does.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes Anisimova is playing well and has to remain focused because Emma likes to win in three sets

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am glad she has stopped playing doubles for starters, though I think it is good for singles player, though not to over play doubles, like Jess and Coco werfe doing.
I understand the position Coco is in with the sponsors expecting her to be at every tournament, still maybe it is having a negative effect on her results, remember sponsors will only hang around if the player is getting good results. I guess it is being able to manage sponsors obligations and playing tennis,
I also feel since Serena retired Coco has had a lot of pressure put on her to perform? which is hard, you cant compare players full stop, and in my opinion there wont be another Serena Willliams, well not in my life time anyway. Coco has been on the tour for sometime, she got the pressure off her back when she won the USO , sometimes players after winning their 1st GS slam title do not post the results that we expect them so., it takes the player sometime to adjust, in saying that Coco is too good of an athlete not to be able to re focus on her game, I hope she does.
Serena used to say that she was approached a lot by sponsors and had to turn down some of the offers because it interfered with her practice.I hope she is not feeling obligated to impress her agent and that is Mary Jo husband.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena used to say that she was approached a lot by sponsors and had to turn down some of the offers because it interfered with her practice.I hope she is not feeling obligated to impress her agent and that is Mary Jo husband.
Well I hope Coco dosent over extend herself meeting sponsors demands, her agent has to realize that tennis comes first