2024 WTA News & Gossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jess Pegula confirmed that she and Coco Gaff dont plan to play doubles anymore for the rest of the year as both will prioritize singles ( source tennisnow.com)
Coco winning with Siniakova did put a nail into the partnership.I think Pegula uses the doubles just for practice, and not necessarily to win anything. Coco maybe wanted to be closer to Pegula just for her little brother who plays baseball,and to get knowledge on how to get signed from an insider like Pegula.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco winning with Siniakova did put a nail into the partnership.I think Pegula uses the doubles just for practice, and not necessarily to win anything. Coco maybe wanted to be closer to Pegula just for her little brother who plays baseball,and to get knowledge on how to get signed from an insider like Pegula.
Well with Ccoo's current singles play which has been poor I think it is wise if she just concentrates on her singles, she had 42 UFE in her match yeaterday against Shnaider? she is defending a lot of points as the defending champion of the USO and her recent performances she will be lucky to defend sad to say.I dont know what the problem is with her? having a break down with the umpire at the Olympics in tears? also the umpire was correct, she has to get back to playing tennis and focus and concentrate,her fhand again is letting her down big time, Brad has done Nothing to improve it since he has been her coach.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Really enjoying this QF match between 2 good ball strikers Saba v Amanda 4 all 1st set
Amanda 1st set 64!

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Coco should play doubs w/ Taylor. That way when Fed Cup and OG come around, they are already in tune. Jess doesn't have the same goals, drive and determination that Coco has. The kid wants to get better while Jess is content to linger in mediocrity. Two different ages and different expectations, they don't gel as a team.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done Amanda winning 64 62 over Saba (2)
Love watching you when you are playing your type of tennis!
BTW Amanda is now H2H 5-2 over Sabalenka

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Amanda has put on a bit of weight during her hiatus. I'd like to see her get fitter and get back in the top 20 where she belongs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Amanda has put on a bit of weight during her hiatus. I'd like to see her get fitter and get back in the top 20 where she belongs.
Her weight seems to go up and down, agree she needs to get back and train more and keep to a sensible diet

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well with Ccoo's current singles play which has been poor I think it is wise if she just concentrates on her singles, she had 42 UFE in her match yeaterday against Shnaider? she is defending a lot of points as the defending champion of the USO and her recent performances she will be lucky to defend sad to say.I dont know what the problem is with her? having a break down with the umpire at the Olympics in tears? also the umpire was correct, she has to get back to playing tennis and focus and concentrate,her fhand again is letting her down big time, Brad has done Nothing to improve it since he has been her coach.
She will be fine because age is on her side.She has time to fine tune her game,and look at Paolini who was lost in the dolddrums until she found her game.Maybe if her ranking drops she might work harder to buildup and reach the top again.Its very clear that Coco is not a Serena type of talent.She is a player who really has to work hard to achieve her goals.She is not a natural high achiever like Serena, and might end up with a Lindsay kind of career which is awesome.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She will be fine because age is on her side.She has time to fine tune her game,and look at Paolini who was lost in the dolddrums until she found her game.Maybe if her ranking drops she might work harder to buildup and reach the top again.Its very clear that Coco is not a Serena type of talent.She is a player who really has to work hard to achieve her goals.She is not a natural high achiever like Serena, and might end up with a Lindsay kind of career which is awesome.
To me she hasnt played well since the AO, Coco has more weapons than Jazz that is my opinion, she will need to put in a better performance in Cinncy before she defends her title at the USO.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I was talking to my brother about this last week. Serena was a different breed and not likely to ever be duplicated. It takes a strong drive and will to play well over 20 years with that focus to get double-digit slams. He thinks her personal life may be affecting her play this year.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Anisimova coming back from a mental health break at the start of the year, will be back in the Top 100 when the new rankings come out
Great talent, maybe her best is yet to come, she was once coached by Darren Cahill

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was talking to my brother about this last week. Serena was a different breed and not likely to ever be duplicated. It takes a strong drive and will to play well over 20 years with that focus to get double-digit slams. He thinks her personal life may be affecting her play this year.
Serena's will to win was unmatched.She had the ability to compartmentalize and focus.During a match she would shutout the noise and will herself to win.One such match was her against Henin at the AO10.Tennis fans and pundits were cheering loudly for Justine but she found a way to win that final.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To me she hasnt played well since the AO, Coco has more weapons than Jazz that is my opinion, she will need to put in a better performance in Cinncy before she defends her title at the USO.
Even if she doesn't defend her title she will be fine.I remember when she had to defend finalist points at RG ,it's all going to be up to the draw that she gets.She knows how to win the Open so its not a big deal.
Saba also has not won a WTA title since 2023.She has been struggling to win titles all year long with the exception of her GS.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena's will to win was unmatched.She had the ability to compartmentalize and focus.During a match she would shutout the noise and will herself to win.One such match was her against Henin at the AO10.Tennis fans and pundits were cheering loudly for Justine but she found a way to win that final.
I was live at that match I was cheering for Serena and got dirty looks would you believe from people around me lol! anyway that didnt stop me, :)
I got the last laugh with Serena winning, :)

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Peyton Stearns serving for the 2nd set 5-4 against Pegula, broken back on serve 5 games all
Pegula won the 1st set 64
Pegula breaks and wins the 2nd set 75 and the match 64 75 and moves through to the SF in Toronto

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi Osaka will pay a qualifying match for the first time since February 2018 tomorrow, facing Anna Blinkova in the 1st round of qualies for WTA1000 Cincinnati