2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont know
Meddy came to Wimbledon hugely underrated. All eyes were on Sinner, Alcaraz and Novak.
Seeing this Indoor Wimbledon Championship have caused some upsets along the way, I wont be surprised if an outsider wins it
I mean I never thought Musetti would be in a QF match at Wimbledon
Alex du Minaur will keep Novak on his toes as well
I have to admit I was quietly confident Sinner would win the title this year

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw that PTI, and basically everyone on TC weighed in, as well. Courier was trying to go for the angle that Djokovic finds motivation in adversity, which I believe he does. Wertheim at least had the balls to say that neither Roger nor Rafa would have reacted this way. Not that Roger ever suffered with lack of crowd support, but Rafa felt it from the French earlier on, and refused to engage it. In the above speech, Novak said something about the people who pay for tickets. Yes, they pay for tickets, and they don't deserve to get berated by you, especially when they're not wrong. Sure, he makes a lot of money for tennis, but those people also butter his bread. He just can't decide if he wants to be the bad guy or the good guy. Or, he thinks he's the good guy, and everyone else has it all wrong, so he keeps acting like the bad guy, and can't figure out why it never turns around.

Also, he walked out of a BBC interview after 98 seconds, in a total snit:

dude is sissy

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak's Origin Story is that he came up when the tennis world was already divided in loyalties between Federer and Nadal. After he rose up to full potential in 2011, and starting beating everyone's favorites, the New Yorker did a big profile piece on him called The Third Man (2013,) and the NYTimes another called The Unloved One (2015.) The set-up for him was already to be the bad guy. That just is what it is, but it seemed to create that chip on his shoulder he can't shake. Since then, though, he has shot himself in the foot so many times over the years, too. Then he doubles-down on the PR errors, like the one yesterday. He's a contrarian in so many ways. He bucked the rules on Covid and the vaccines, he smashes rackets and basically refuses to be what anyone expects of him, but then he can't understand why people have trouble being enamored of that. It's hard not to admire his tennis, but he's just not that easy to like, or admire, in general.
If it walks like a duck, If it quacks like a duck, THEN

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dont know

Seeing this Indoor Wimbledon Championship have caused some upsets along the way, I wont be surprised if an outsider wins it
I mean I never thought Musetti would be in a QF match at Wimbledon
Alex du Minaur will keep Novak on his toes as well
I have to admit I was quietly confident Sinner would win the title this year
Everyone who is still in has a chance, right? Alcaraz and Medvedev left in the top half.

Bottom half:

Musetti v. Fritz
Djokovic v De Minaur

You rather have to favor Fritz and Novak to come through. A lot rides on de Minaur's fitness, which seems funny to say, since it was Novak's knee that we were worrying about, coming in.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Everyone who is still in has a chance, right? Alcaraz and Medvedev left in the top half.

Bottom half:

Musetti v. Fritz
Djokovic v De Minaur

You rather have to favor Fritz and Novak to come through. A lot rides on de Minaur's fitness, which seems funny to say, since it was Novak's knee that we were worrying about, coming in.
Musetti has been the surprise packet on grass, clay has always been his best surface? he has the weapons to beat Fritz, though can he keep his head when things get tight?
I feel De Minaur get give Novak a run for his money

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
My best opinion on him: He is probably the greatest male tennis player ever (don’t have a problem saying it) but one of the most enigmatic sports person in sports history!
I respect your opinion... If you take Roger at his absolute PRIME.. ( I think El Dude had it probably 2004-2012) Rafa's PRIME (2007-2015) Novak was in those same ERA.. what was Novak's record vs those two. Do you feel Novak would have beaten those guys at GSs in their prime? if not I dont think his stats would make him the greatest ever. Just my two cents worth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Your censoring me now lol! I will say how I feel and that includes jokes get a sense of humor :)
This is not in the least censoring. You made a comment. You didn't indicate joke. I reacted that that wasn't my preference. Don't be mad if someone gives a dislike to a comment they don't like. If it was a joke, fine. But I am allowed to dislike your comment. That's censoring me. Moving on. As you always say.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is not in the least censoring. You made a comment. You didn't indicate joke. I reacted that that wasn't my preference. Don't be mad if someone gives a dislike to a comment they don't like. If it was a joke, fine. But I am allowed to dislike your comment. That's censoring me. Moving on. As you always say.
I will in future put a smiley face on it so you kniow I was joking I thought by now you would get my sense of humor apparently not

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Musetti has been the surprise packet on grass, clay has always been his best surface? he has the weapons to beat Fritz, though can he keep his head when things get tight?
I feel De Minaur get give Novak a run for his money
I agree. He's sort of like: which of these things is not like the other?

De Minaur may be the one left (bottom half) to test Novak's patience and knee...if his own fitness is OK.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree. He's sort of like: which of these things is not like the other?

De Minaur may be the one left (bottom half) to test Novak's patience and knee...if his own fitness is OK.
I havent read any up to date news on Alex and his jarred hip, still its not biggie, ice and physio usually will do the trick but there is no news that is his withdrawing like another poster posted earlier today
Todd Woodbridge thinks Alex has a good chance, he has not been impressed with Novak and said he has a easy draw, lets remember Todd is an Aussie :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW getting back to Alcaraz for a minute
It is a 6th GS SF for Alcaraz age 21
Only Wilander and Becker had more at his age of 8

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I havent read any up to date news on Alex and his jarred hip, still its not biggie, ice and physio usually will do the trick but there is no news that is his withdrawing like another poster posted earlier today
Todd Woodbridge thinks Alex has a good chance, he has not been impressed with Novak and said he has a easy draw, lets remember Todd is an Aussie :)
I don't think it's that far out the box to give D-Minor the slight edge. Holger has the game to move him around, but didn't get the memo. Poppy and dude from R2 even took sets off him. I'm sure D will get the memo, will his fitness allow him to be a gnat in Djoke's face?

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do think it helps that whatever Alex jarred at the end of that match, he didn't have to keep playing on it. Ice bath, anti-inflammatories, etc. It will be the battle of the Knee v the Hip. Novak's approach to this Wimbledon has been to keep the points short. Serve well. Alex's MO is to move you around and make you play, then sneak attack. It'll be interesting early to see who gets to play their game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think it's that far out the box to give D-Minor the slight edge. Holger has the game to move him around, but didn't get the memo. Poppy and dude from R2 even took sets off him. I'm sure D will get the memo, will his fitness allow him to be a gnat in Djoke's face?
Holger and his shot selections for starters? dismal in that match for starters,.yes has the game,honestly he was just out of his depth in that match
Alex always moves his opponents around the court, I am certain that Hewitt has given him a game plan, it is up to Alex to execute it

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I do think it helps that whatever Alex jarred at the end of that match, he didn't have to keep playing on it. Ice bath, anti-inflammatories, etc. It will be the battle of the Knee v the Hip. Novak's approach to this Wimbledon has been to keep the points short. Serve well. Alex's MO is to move you around and make you play, then sneak attack. It'll be interesting early to see who gets to play their game.
A bit like Cat and Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.