2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Then they care more about the VIPs than the players.
Today all the GS cater for coporate people especially as they can bring in sponsors and big bucks it is just a way of life now sad to say,
Half the time they would not know one tennis player to another it is about been Seen and mixing with the right people

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Probably not that is what I have read from grass keepers that did a blog from Wimbledon about keeping the grass at is preminium
You know Wimbledon arent going to change their rituals for anyone, there are a special breed of their own":)
But they already have. They have a roof, which is non-traditional, and they don't know how to use it.

Also, non-traditionally, they've gone to a final set TB. They've accepted Hawkeye. They can't lean into "traditional" when they aren't always. I prefer solutions that benefit the players, not the fancy-pants folk.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But they already have. They have a roof, which is non-traditional, and they don't know how to use it.

Also, non-traditionally, they've gone to a final set TB. They've accepted Hawkeye. They can't lean into "traditional" when they aren't always. I prefer solutions that benefit the players, not the fancy-pants folk.
I agree, they have been slow on the uptake in new things, they still keep the lines people, which I cannot see them changing at present

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While that was idiotic, there are plenty of reasons to discuss and rethink the roof rules, as you can see from the discussion above. I know you are a contrarian, but look at them:

A) It's an outdoor tournament. The roof should be treated as an emergency stop-gap, but why NOT re-open it in fair weather?
Remember that SF day in RG 2019 and heavy wind conditions? That was calling for the closed roof and they didn't do it. Yet now on the first sign of the single raindrop they close the roof. There is no common sense with the roof in general and sad to say they are keeping the roof closed more than ever before, not even bothering to open it up.
B) The closed roof causes slippery conditions, per the players, and endangers them.
Isn't there some machine to dry the moisture and go trough the whole court as a part of court preparation, like watering and sweeping the clay? At least do something like that if the roof is to remain closed.
C) What is so "precious" about keeping the conditions the "same," when they are never the same, due to weather? Also, they are willing to move a match in progress to a covered court, so, by definition, that's not the "same conditions."

It's the inconsistency that I mind.
It's double standards and just plain dumb. Organizers just do as it suits them, not the players. The roof is being misused and lost it's main purpose, simply as a cover in case of rain. It could also be utilized in case of extreme wind (which is rare, but sometimes happens), say gusts above certain km/h and that's it. In all other cases it should be opened as soon as possible when there is no rain and/or extreme wind.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Remember that SF day in RG 2019 and heavy wind conditions? That was calling for the closed roof and they didn't do it. Yet now on the first sign of the single raindrop they close the roof. There is no common sense with the roof in general and sad to say they are keeping the roof closed more than ever before, not even bothering to open it up.
I do remember that. The first SF was Nadal d. Federer, and the wind was a factor. By the 2nd SF, Djokovic v. Thiem, it was brutal. Novak called for play to be stopped. However, Chartrier didn't get a roof until 2020. The roof wasn't an option. In any case, I don't agree with closing the roof for wind. Wind is a natural occurrence in an outdoor tournament, and the players have to deal with it. Same as the shadows across the court, and light rain on clay.
Isn't there some machine to dry the moisture and go trough the whole court as a part of court preparation, like watering and sweeping the clay? At least do something like that if the roof is to remain closed.
Apparently not. Grass is a natural surface, and you can only control it so much. However, you can dry it by opening the roof. ;)
It's double standards and just plain dumb. Organizers just do as it suits them, not the players. The roof is being misused and lost it's main purpose, simply as a cover in case of rain. It could also be utilized in case of extreme wind (which is rare, but sometimes happens), say gusts above certain km/h and that's it. In all other cases it should be opened as soon as possible when there is no rain and/or extreme wind.
I agree that it's dumb. I don't agree with misusing the roof for wind. Rain only. And then opening it when possible.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's exactly right, and what I'm saying. Why not start all matches at 11am. England has notoriously changeable weather. I think @kskate2 suggested that they're catering to the fancy people who come to Centre Court and don't want to get up that early. If it's really that, it's idiotic. If it's anything else, it's also idiotic. I know play starts on Ashe at the USO at 11am, and they can play all night. I think the Wimbledon organizers have a lot to answer for. How many matches last week were held over to the next day? I'll look it up.
And here’s the thing too: players who will play 3rd at CC will have to think the curfew because of the organization’s stupid scheduling decisions.

Sinner barely defeated the curfew against Matteo. But in my head, this wouldn’t be a problem if CC matches start at 1230 pm or earlier.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
And here’s the thing too: players who will play 3rd at CC will have to think the curfew because of the organization’s stupid scheduling decisions.

Sinner barely defeated the curfew against Matteo. But in my head, this wouldn’t be a problem if CC matches start at 1230 pm or earlier.

I'm sure the officials of Wimbledon have explained this, but OTTH, Centre Court being "the featured" court, the Royals & Celebs need extra time to get to their seats after glad-handing, drinking tea, & munching cucumber sandwiches! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm sure the officials of Wimbledon have explained this, but OTTH, Centre Court being "the featured" court, the Royals & Celebs need extra time to get to their seats after glad-handing, drinking tea, & munching cucumber sandwiches! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
So, are you justifying it, or agreeing that it's utter BS?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
So, are you justifying it, or agreeing that it's utter BS?

Of course it's BS! From what little I've seen of Wimbledon, the last few years hasn't even been mentioned The Royals! It was probably Bud Collins keeping the tradition of observing the Royal Box! I can't even remember seeing it as being anything different from the rest of the stadium of late!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of course it's BS! From what little I've seen of Wimbledon, the last few years hasn't even been mentioned The Royals! It was probably Bud Collins keeping the tradition of observing the Royal Box! I can't even remember seeing it as being anything different from the rest of the stadium of late!
I have no idea what you even mean by that. Does it have anything to do with the health of the players?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I have no idea what you even mean by that. Does it have anything to do with the health of the players?

These tournaments don't GAF about the health of the players! Look at what Ameli Moresmo did to the male top seed during the FO! Djokovic was out there playing into the wee hours of the morning twice causing his meniscus injury! If the "powers that be" can allow that, it's been proved that the tournaments can get away w/ just about anything since they're footing the bills and paying the players "crazy money" to basically give a tennis exhibition to an audience! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Wimbledon, Day 9 QF Round, July 9, 2024

1720495529273.png

1720495568326.png

Attachments

• 1720495687634.png
    1720495687634.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 10

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner comes through in a tight TB and wins the 1st set 76(7) over Meddy, that is his 9th TB win, he has been getting plenty of practice lately :)
Jannik Forza! of course I am watching a ladies match at the same time :)

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner comes through in a tight TB and wins the 1st set 76(9) over Meddy, that is his 9th TB win, he has been getting plenty of practice lately :)
Jannik Forza! of course I am watching a ladies match at the same time :)
It was good TB. Daniil was throwing a kitchen sink at Sinner, but when he finally got to a mini break to close the set he blew 2 points. I notice these 2 guys don't go to the net at all, at least in TB. I mean it's grass, come forward.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It was good TB. Daniil was throwing a kitchen sink at Sinner, but when he finally got to a mini break to close the set he blew 2 points. I notice these 2 guys don't go to the net at all, at least in TB. I mean it's grass, come forward.
Well Meddy only comes to the net if pushed, though I must say Sinner has improved his transition game to the net

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor sevice game from Jannik, fhand errors and Meddy gets the break early in the 2nd set.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now you see why Medvedev doesn't like the net. Great lob by Jannik over the big man's head. Need this hold, for sure.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Still Jannik isnt getting into Meddys service games at present, he needs to return better and watch his errors on his fhand
Meddy leads 4-2 2nd set, that early poor service game of Jannik has cost him so far in the 2nd set

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
this match should have been a semi final.. I think this will go 4/5 set. Its amazing that Novak regardless of his ranking or seeding.. gets the dream draw.. Question.. if Novak made it to the finals last year.. Why wasnt he seeding #1? I recall during the Fedal years.. Roger would always be seeded based on what his previous grass court results.. Novak was the finalist last year and lost in a non tbr super 5th set.. I realize Sinner won a recent grass court tournament. (my apologies if this Was this discussed earlier when the draw came out)

Status
Not open for further replies.