2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I' m sure the roof being closed is not helping w/ the slippery courts either. So much for this being an outdoor tourney. This is day 8 and the roof has been in play almost everyday
Agree, in the ladies locker room, players have said playing indoors have made the grass more slippery

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio,
What concerns me more with Rune's play against Novak today was his choice of shot selection? that is an area he needs to improve on, he made too many ufe off both wings today

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I' m sure the roof being closed is not helping w/ the slippery courts either. So much for this being an outdoor tourney. This is day 8 and the roof has been in play almost everyday
The McEnroe brothers say they should just stop calling it an outdoor tournament. And they mean that in a good way. I keep complaining about their insistence that once the roof is closed, it stays closed. But the slipperiness of the courts argues for opening it when the weather improves. It would dry the courts a bit.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I find that amazing too. A man with a gimpy knee is still standing, while others are getting injured.

Looks like Rune played a same match like last year against Alcaraz, he never got into the match. I'm a bit disappointed in him, expected more than a handful of games. But that's Novak too, he plays the best when he needs to. Rune has a lot to think about, his level of play is going down rapidly, he can't beat the top 10 guys anymore.
I only saw part of the 2nd set, but he was dismal out there. Didn't get the blue print from his team, didn't serve well and as anticipated he hit himself out of the match. You're right, he's got some soul searching to do. Whatever confidence and belief he had when he was in the top 10 is gone. He looks fragile as evidenced by his results against the T15 this year. Remember, he let Zed off the hook at RG. Couldn't defend his Munich title and the list goes on.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The McEnroe brothers say they should just stop calling it an outdoor tournament. And they mean that in a good way. I keep complaining about their insistence that once the roof is closed, it stays closed. But the slipperiness of the courts argues for opening it when the weather improves. It would dry the courts a bit.
I also don't know why they keep pushing that rule. They could open and close the roof as the weather changes, what is the big deal?

Another thing is the scheduling on the main courts with roofs, but that has been discussed here already. This year too in Wimbledon, they screwed it up completely by stubbornly starting the matches on roofed courts like the weather is normal. They should start the matches early instead when the weather is awful.

This stuff should change for the benefit of the players.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly Patrick M has to get Rune in drills for shot selection, an area he hasnt improved on so far this year, it was a glaring fault in his play today against Novak.
I play against Club players at my local tennis club, who have better shot selections than Rune at present, I am not kidding

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I also don't know why they keep pushing that rule. They could open and close the roof as the weather changes, what is the big deal?

Another thing is the scheduling on the main courts with roofs, but that has been discussed here already. This year too in Wimbledon, they screwed it up completely by stubbornly starting the matches on roofed courts like the weather is normal. They should start the matches early instead when the weather is awful.

What's so difficult to receive & accept when it comes to the "roof rule?" Y'all still PO'd about that 2018 SF btwn. Nadal & Djokovic? It went late into the night, was postponed/halted after 3 sets, Novak up 2 to 1! The next day the roof was requested by him to "keep it closed!" It was up to him while Nadal would have loved to open it! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What's so difficult to receive & accept when it comes to the "roof rule?" Y'all still PO'd about that 2018 SF btwn. Nadal & Djokovic? It went late into the night, was postponed/halted after 3 sets, Novak up 2 to 1! The next day the roof was requested by him to "keep it closed!" It was up to him while Nadal would have loved to open it! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
Dont go there?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens QFs are set,

Sinner vs Medvedev
Alcaraz vs Paul
Musetti vs Fritz
Djokovic vs Alex de Minaur

Note::
As I previously posted for the first time since 2000, 2 American men into the QFs at Wimbledon, Paul and Fritz

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's what I think. They're not going to change with every passing rain shower, but weather reports are increasingly reliable, and if the rest of the day looks good, and you have, say, 3-4 more sets to go in a men's match, why not open the roof and make the court less slippery? As to the notion that it's an outdoor tournament...well, it always has been, and Wimbledon of all tournaments has been wedded to its traditions. Somehow, they managed 120+ years without a roof as a completely outdoor tournament. They need to fall out of love with their roof.

Starting at 1:30pm on Centre Court in the first week is what I don't understand. I completely understand that they have an 11pm curfew, because the club is in a residential area. That's respectful. But, as we say in the film business: "If this were my movie...," with a hard-out at 11pm, I'd start earlier. Tennis is an open-ended game with no time limit. Personally, I think they're idiots.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Regarding about Rune, he needs a proper off-season with Patrick M. I feel like he needs the extended break to relax/rest and truly talk with Patrick M on how to improve as a tennis player. The talent and desire is definitely there. But he needs to look at the mirror and ask his team on what he really needs to do to improve (big or small).

Like others have said, he just turned 21 years old, so he has time to improve. At the same time, he needs know/learn on what to improve on his game.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's what I think. They're not going to change with every passing rain shower, but weather reports are increasingly reliable, and if the rest of the day looks good, and you have, say, 3-4 more sets to go in a men's match, why not open the roof and make the court less slippery? As to the notion that it's an outdoor tournament...well, it always has been, and Wimbledon of all tournaments has been wedded to its traditions. Somehow, they managed 120+ years without a roof as a completely outdoor tournament. They need to fall out of love with their roof.

Starting at 1:30pm on Centre Court in the first week is what I don't understand. I completely understand that they have an 11pm curfew, because the club is in a residential area. That's respectful. But, as we say in the film business: "If this were my movie...," with a hard-out at 11pm, I'd start earlier. Tennis is an open-ended game with no time limit. Personally, I think they're idiots.
Here’s another thing too, Moxie:

Court 1 starts at 1 pm and outer courts start at 11 am. So, what’s keeping them from having CC matches start at 12:30 pm or earlier?

Just mind boggling decision from Wimbledon.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Regarding about Rune, he needs a proper off-season with Patrick M. I feel like he needs the extended break to relax/rest and truly talk with Patrick M on how to improve as a tennis player. The talent and desire is definitely there. But he needs to look at the mirror and ask his team on what he really needs to do to improve (big or small).

Like others have said, he just turned 21 years old, so he has time to improve. At the same time, he needs know/learn on what to improve on his game.
His shot section for starters, it was a glaring fault in his game against Novak today

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What's so difficult to receive & accept when it comes to the "roof rule?" Y'all still PO'd about that 2018 SF btwn. Nadal & Djokovic? It went late into the night, was postponed/halted after 3 sets, Novak up 2 to 1! The next day the roof was requested by him to "keep it closed!" It was up to him while Nadal would have loved to open it!
While that was idiotic, there are plenty of reasons to discuss and rethink the roof rules, as you can see from the discussion above. I know you are a contrarian, but look at them:

A) It's an outdoor tournament. The roof should be treated as an emergency stop-gap, but why NOT re-open it in fair weather?

B) The closed roof causes slippery conditions, per the players, and endangers them.

C) What is so "precious" about keeping the conditions the "same," when they are never the same, due to weather? Also, they are willing to move a match in progress to a covered court, so, by definition, that's not the "same conditions."

It's the inconsistency that I mind.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One theory I have read about the grass it forms slippery due in the night and early morning hours, it needs time to recover and to dry out more, maybe a reason starts at 12.30pm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here’s another thing too, Moxie:

Court 1 starts at 1 pm and outer courts start at 11 am. So, what’s keeping them from having CC matches start at 12:30 pm or earlier?

Just mind boggling decision from Wimbledon.
That's exactly right, and what I'm saying. Why not start all matches at 11am. England has notoriously changeable weather. I think @kskate2 suggested that they're catering to the fancy people who come to Centre Court and don't want to get up that early. If it's really that, it's idiotic. If it's anything else, it's also idiotic. I know play starts on Ashe at the USO at 11am, and they can play all night. I think the Wimbledon organizers have a lot to answer for. How many matches last week were held over to the next day? I'll look it up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's exactly right, and what I'm saying. Why not start all matches at 11am. England has notoriously changeable weather. I think @kskate2 suggested that they're catering to the fancy people who come to Centre Court and don't want to get up that early. If it's really that, it's idiotic. If it's anything else, it's also idiotic. I know play starts on Ashe at the USO at 11am, and they can play all night. I think the Wimbledon organizers have a lot to answer for. How many matches last week were held over to the next day? I'll look it up.
Kskate is correct they do catering for VIPs and fancy people who come to CC and dont want to arrive early ( its mainly lunch for them)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One theory I have read about the grass it forms slippery due in the night and early morning hours, it needs time to recover and to dry out more, maybe a reason starts at 12.30pm
All of the courts would form dew at night. However, the semi cover of the new roof might make that different on Centre Court. But Court 1 also has a roof, and I believe they start earlier than CC. So, does this theory "hold water?" LOL.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All of the courts would form due at night. However, the semi cover of the new roof might make that different on Centre Court. But Court 1 also has a roof, and I believe they start earlier than CC. So, does this theory "hold water?" LOL.
Probably not that is what I have read from grass keepers that did a blog from Wimbledon about keeping the grass at is preminium
You know Wimbledon arent going to change their rituals for anyone, there are a special breed of their own":)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kskate is correct they do catering for VIPs and fancy people who come to CC and dont want to arrive early ( its mainly lunch for them)
Then they care more about the VIPs than the players.

Reactions: kskate2
Status
Not open for further replies.