2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
John Mac please do some research or get someone to do it for you?
Aussie Rinky Hijikata can play doubles he and Aussie Jason Kluber were wild cards at the AO in 2023 and went all the way and won it?
Hijikata and Peers are playing the 2 Murray brothers in doubles on CC presently
BTW Aussie John Peers is also an accomplished doubles player won Mixed GS doubles, doubles titles at the ATP Finals, 4 Masters 1000 doubles titles
God forbid letting John Mac commentate on a womens match again :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of rain expected tomorrow ( Friday) so they are not scheduling more than 2 matches for the outside courts

• Sad
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hijikata/Peers defeat the 2 Murrays in their doubles match 76(6) 64

Andy Murray still has one last hurrah as he is playing with Emma Raducanu in the mixed doubles

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well England got their farewell match out of Murray in doubles rather than singles thank Gawd! I absolutely hate veterans who can't win continue to take up a spot in a draw when more deserving up & comers are kicked to the curb! OMG, is that Sue Barker doing the interview? She must be closing in on 80! She takes me back to having a FH & nothing else, but still managed to make her mark in tennis behind Virginia Wade! Now the salute to the old guy! Everyone's there including Novak! Showing old pictures of his early efforts, he was actually kind of cute! WTF happened? :face-with-head-bandage:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well England got their farewell match out of Murray in doubles rather than singles thank Gawd! I absolutely hate veterans who can't win continue to take up a spot in a draw when more deserving up & comers are kicked to the curb! OMG, is that Sue Barker doing the interview? She must be closing in on 80! She takes me back to having a FH & nothing else, but still managed to make her mark in tennis behind Virginia Wade! Now the salute to the old guy! Everyone's there including Novak! Showing old pictures of his early efforts, he was actually kind of cute! WTF happened? :face-with-head-bandage:
Thank goodness most people dont share your snarky comments regarding Andy Murray!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A vidreo tribute on CC for Andy Murray, Sue Barker ( who has retired ) was on the court for the ceremony
Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Venus Williams, were a part of a great tribute video for Andy Murray
Andy Murray said,
"I want to play forever, I love the sport" gee Andy I am tearing up, looks for a tissue

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Other players need to be worried about Perricard, especially at Wimbledon. Le Dude's serve...

Sissypas...what to say, at this point?

So much for the Great Draper Run of 2024...

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Other players need to be worried about Perricard, especially at Wimbledon. Le Dude's serve...

Sissypas...what to say, at this point?

So much for the Great Draper Run of 2024...
Sissypas has never done much at Wimby has he?
Yeah I thought Jack would have beaten Norrie who hasnt played well of late
Perricard's serve is off the charts, dude hits it with ease and then some :)

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
What's the conventional wisdom about ace to double fault ratio? That is, when is it considered a bad idea to hit hard second serves like Perricard does?

In baseball they say that for stolen bases, you really should be successful at least two-thirds of the time to break even, and really you want 70%+ (two-thirds is break even, because when you get caught not only do you create an out, but you negate a base).

Anyhow, I imagine it is something like 4-to-1, so 80%? Or maybe it is like stolen bases...you lose a serve and point, so -2 to +1 free point.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Sissypas has never done much at Wimby has he?
Yeah I thought Jack would have beaten Norrie who hasnt played well of late
Perricard's serve is off the chars, dude hits it with ease and then sone :)
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from Sissy, but still.

We can call it the Great Diaper Run of 2024.

Perricard looks like a better version of John Isner, more Mark Philippousian. Maybe (he is a lot less one-dimensional than Isner).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from Sissy, but still.

We can call it the Great Diaper Run of 2024.

Perricard looks like a better version of John Isner, more Mark Philippousian. Maybe (he is a lot less one-dimensional than Isner).
I am going to wait to see more of Perricard I mean he only came through to the main draw late, as a LL, he didnt make it through the qualies draw at Wimbledon

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Looking ahead to tomorrow, some fun matches...

Grigor-Gael should be entertaining. Sort of similar players, in a way (more style than substance, but in different ways).

Alcaraz-Tiafoe could be interesting. Carlos is still heavily favored, but there's a non-zero chance for an upset. They're tied 1-1, with their last match being 2022 US Open (Carlos won in five).

Struff-Medvedev is a nice clash of styles. Could be hard-fought.

Paul-Bublik is sort of up in the air. Paul is a better player, I think, but Bublik's serve evens things out.

Fognini-Bautista Agut...clash of the sorta-has-beens.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going to wait to see more of Perricard I mean he only came through to the main draw late, as a LL, he didnt make it through the qualies draw at Wimbledon
I'm not expecting greatness, just that he seems a good player. Whether he's another Bublik or the next Hurkacz remains to be seen, but I'm veering more towards the latter.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
8vym9i.jpg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the reasons I love Andy Murray was he had no trouble showing his 'feminist side'a lot of men can take notice of Murray in that regard, he was a great supporter of womens tennis
BTW Murray has hinted that he's been dying to coach? I am certain there will be plenty of offers when and if he decides to do so
I had the pleasure of meeting Murray personally at the AO he has such a great dry sense of humor, shame he could not win one of those AO finals.
Andy loved the sport full stop. Be happy in your retirement Andy!.

Reactions: Aung Aung and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not expecting greatness, just that he seems a good player. Whether he's another Bublik or the next Hurkacz remains to be seen, but I'm veering more towards the latter.
I'm rooting for the guy to make a good career, just because I like him. He's rather tall to be a "great," and I may decide his servebot thing is too boring, but I agree he has more dimension than Isner. (OK, low bar.) But let's also remember that he got in as a LL, and he's into the 3rd round! He's playing with house money, and he's young (turns 21 in 4 days.) Dangerous combination.

Reactions: tossip and El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of the reasons I love Andy Murray was he had no trouble showing his 'feminist side'a lot of men can take notice of Murray in that regard, he was a great supporter of womens tennis
BTW Murray has hinted that he's been dying to coach? I am certain there will be plenty of offers when and if he decides to do so
I had the pleasure of meeting Murray personally at the AO he has such a great dry sense of humor, shame he could not win one of those AO finals.
Andy loved the sport full stop. Be happy in your retirement Andy!.
I love Andy Murray, and I wept through most of that tribute. I thought it was fitting they brought Sue Barker back to see him off. His speech was, by turns, touching, and very funny. I know some around here down care for him, putting it mildly, in the case of Fiero, but he held his own better than anyone in the heyday of the Big 3. (It was even the Big 4, for awhile.) He's also one of the wryest, most articulate players in interviews. And, yes, he's a proud feminist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.