2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know if that's fair, and I didn't really hear Frances's comment about "clowns," so I don't know who he meant. I know you're disappointed in Felix. This seemed like a match he should have won. And he hasn't lived up to expectations. I guess it's something he can't find in the ambition department, because he certainly has talent and tools. Well, some fail to live up to expectations. Coric, Gasquet, Tsonga, Thiem, etc...for many reasons. Early promise doesn't always translate to big game results. Or often doesn't. If do feel that whatever is lacking in Felix is not fixable. The lack of a killer instinct is obvious by now. What else is he missing?
Felix is very passive and he doesn't want to rock the boat.I think his upbringing of growing up in an environment where he had to shut down certain parts of himself to be accepted.He once made a comment about his father interaction with police...it was telling about how he looks at life.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's got a complete game, as far as I can tell. A couple years ago his 2nd served sucked, but I think it has been improved.

But yeah, you're right. Every young player has a range of "floor to ceiling," and while most end up somewhere in the mid-range, FAA is ending up near the floor. He's sort of the anti-Ferrer, in that regard.

Anyhow, he should at least be right up there with Zverev and Tsitsipas - as a "lesser elite" player. That's pretty much where my expectations are at, as far as his talent. For a bit there it looked like he was going to stabilize in the Rublev/Hurkacz range, but that didn't last, and he slipped back into the Gasquet Zone: not quite second tier, but better than the pack.

Who knows, maybe he'll do a Grigor and pull it together in a few years and win a couple big titles. I mean, in a way he's kind of like another Grigor.

On a related note, it is interesting how the first two "Millenials" we all became aware of are both big disappointments, and both Canadians. Go figure.
"Anti-Ferrer" is an interesting comment. I know you mean it as a compliment to Ferrer, though most compliments to him are back-handed. The notion is that he punched above his weight, and someone like FAA punches below it. But I do get tired of people talking about talent, and ignoring the work ethic aspect or the ambition to win. Part of talent is working hard, and having the heart to win, when everything seems against you. Ferrer has certainly done that. Did you watch the Federer address to Dartmouth College? Even Roger cops to the fact that talent isn't everything...by a lot.

As to the 2 Canadian millennials that are disappointing...I think they are both talented, but have very different reasons for being disappointing. Felix can't muster the wherewithal to make the most of his game. His lack is ambition. His mildness. Shapo can't seem to harness his game. His wildness. Of the two, at this point, I'd take unbridled wildness over unbridled mildness.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I appreciate your backing Matteo, and reminding folks not to underestimate him just because he's pretty. However, as a reminder, Berrettini did NOT "steal" that first set off of Novak. He won it. He did start slowly, in his first, (and, to date, only) Major final, but he got the early break back late in the set, then played the better tiebreak. It is only very occasionally fair to say that someone maybe sneaked out a set when another player collapses. This was not the case. Novak was in it, and got out-played late in the set. I find it tiresome to insist that someone "stole" the set, just because the guy you like lost it.
In the normal scheme of things I might agree, but this was Novak Djokovic! He's #1 in the World, playing yet another major final w/ a break in the 1st set! I'd think it overwhelming for Matteo w/ it being his "1st & only major to date!" He kept his head & allowed Novak to donate a little bit to capture that 1st set! It was so reminiscent of Anderson in his 1st final against Nole in 2018! After getting by Nadal in the "2 day SF," it was a routine match going to script! Matteo surprised me, but Novak's known to do that sort of thing! I can go down a # of major finals where he's in control & inexplicably allows a match to tighten up; m/b up 2 breaks! In the end he just made his job harder and extended it to 4 or 5 sets when he should have been off the court 2 hours before! I had high hopes for Matteo, but the injury bug is out there w/ this new generation of players! It almost can't be helped due to the speed of the game w/ players going "all out" every point! Back in the day players in the top 20 could have beer bellies, smoke, drink but their skill kept them just above the fray!:face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the normal scheme of things I might agree, but this was Novak Djokovic! He's #1 in the World, playing yet another major final w/ a break in the 1st set! I'd think it overwhelming for Matteo w/ it being his "1st & only major to date!" He kept his head & allowed Novak to donate a little bit to capture that 1st set! It was so reminiscent of Anderson in his 1st final against Nole in 2018! After getting by Nadal in the "2 day SF," it was a routine match going to script! Matteo surprised me, but Novak's known to do that sort of thing! I can go down a # of major finals where he's in control & inexplicably allows a match to tighten up; m/b up 2 breaks! In the end he just made his job harder and extended it to 4 or 5 sets when he should have been off the court 2 hours before! I had high hopes for Matteo, but the injury bug is out there w/ this new generation of players! It almost can't be helped due to the speed of the game w/ players going "all out" every point! Back in the day players in the top 20 could have beer bellies, smoke, drink but their skill kept them just above the fray!:face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Your argument for why Matteo won that first set holds no water. You're basing it on reputation, and not the tennis that you watched. Matches aren't played on resumes. They are played in real time. Yes, maybe Novak gets himself into trouble, but why is that? It's not all him, you know. There is another player on the court. I was incensed last year that a lot of folks, (meaning such as Novak's ex-coach) said that "it wasn't Novak in that final" v. Alcaraz. Well, yes it was! I was watching, and he was definitely the man on the court. But he didn't play up to their expectation. What that means is that he couldn't. On that day. And v. that player. Don't demean the performance of another player by endlessly saying that it was only your man who failed. It's insulting to the other player.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay the real truth is out!

Fabio Fognini reveals that truth behind his Bleached Blonde Hair

" I lost a bet" saying it was a private bet, Teaser!

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay the real truth is out!

Fabio Fognini reveals that truth behind his Bleached Blonde Hair

" I lost a bet" saying it was a private bet, Teaser!
Clearly, he didn't lose it to Flavia. I know folks around here don't love Mary Carillo, but I think she's clever and hilarious. She once said that the 2-man luge seemed like "a bar bet gone horribly wrong." :lulz1:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Wimbledon, Day 4 Round 2, July 4, 2024

1720065403950.png

1720065468865.png

1720065528710.png

1720065754433.png

1720065791710.png

1720065848825.png

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Now, we do have fun with Matteo's good looks, and K's nickname for him, Babycakes, but it was Nehmeth calling for the potential "upset" (he wonders) over Sinner, a page or two back. Anyway, I think you have a short memory. Not for stats, but for the real game, in this case. I saw him and JM del Potro each play on Armstrong at the USO, (meaning up fairly close) and Berrettini reminds me of JMDP...big guy, big hitter, lots of game. And also like JMDP, he's had very bad luck with injury, and with illness, too. It's easy to think of him as more middling if you think of the past few years, but the guy has barely strung together more than a few tournaments without something else going wrong. So...I object! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I did not call for an upset, I asked if there was a potential for it. I have always felt Berrettini was overrated. He had one good run and none since.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I did not call for an upset, I asked if there was a potential for it. I have always felt Berrettini was overrated. He had one good run and none since.
Senoire' Matteo shot selection was so much better today than it has been previously..I think he showed better movement and he played the big points better..in the final set TBR all he needed was one more step around the left side of the ball and we are probably going to see a 5th set on Wednesday.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He won a title just before RG.I think as he matures he would can cause some noise.He doesn't have the touch of a Tsonga or speed of Monfils.
Speaking of Monfils, that's one player who has zero weakness and all the tools. Maybe shot selection is his biggest problem. I wonder does Gael feels that he should have won a GS or two.

Reactions: tossip

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The pigeon-toed Pole is down 2 sets to love against Fils. Very odd behavior from Hubie with a Rublevesque slam of the racquet on his knee after surrendering his serve and the second set.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Speaking of Monfils, that's one player who has zero weakness and all the tools. Maybe shot selection is his biggest problem. I wonder does Gael feels that he should have won a GS or two.
I am sure he wants to win RG,he played in an era when it was next to impossible to win against Rafa.Wimbledon was a Djoko and Roger domain.Hardcourts were for Djoko so it was impossible to feel confident about his chances.The big three were so dominant that it was next to impossible to win.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP
One of the main reasons why Monfils has never won a GS is his fitness levels, like Sloane Stephens, both are lazy trainers
Even now in a best of 3 match, Monfils fades out when he has won the 1st set, at times cannot keep his level up, though has taken his training more seriously when he married Elina Svitolina., she appears to be a good influence on Monfils

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger Federer has arrived at Wimbledon today looking very daper in a suit, probably to watch Andy and Jamie in the doubles later on CC

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gee Hubi in all kinds of trouble trying to close out the 4th set and is broken, the level of Fils has been strong so far in this match
5 all in the 4th set, are we seeing an upset in the making?
Hubi to serve to force a TB for the 4th set, Fils leading 2 sets to 1
TB it is for the 4th set, best I have seen Fils play in a long time
Hubi had a bad fall trying to get to a ball and appears to have hurt his knee at 7 all in the TB he was leading 5-2

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Strange point , HH appears to have injured a knee ligament. Really strange Fils had a easy gift volley at net that he missed

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Strange point , HH appears to have injured a knee ligament. Really strange Fils had a easy gift volley at net that he missed
HH has called for the trainer, bad fall, hurt his knee in the process
HH leading 8-7 was leading 5-2 before the fall

Status
Not open for further replies.