2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Y'all boys played very well.. Excellent tennis by both players..
You know I dont mind Jannik having these tests early at Wimbledon puts him in good stead later on, in the business end of a touranment
Getting a easy draw can sometimes go against you when it matters!

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On a side note,

Sharapova needs to be blonde again, her natural dark colour hair does nothing for her,
Also does David Beckham sleep over night in the VIP section at Wimbledon?
Yes Matteo Berrettini is a very handsome man! hard to watch him play at times :)

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
On a side note,

Sharapova needs to be blonde again, her natural dark colour hair does nothing for her,
Also does David Beckham sleep over night in the VIP section at Wimbledon?
Nah MM, Pova is looking good. She is a very FINE woman..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know I dont mind Jannik having these tests early at Wimbledon puts him in good stead later on, in the business end of a touranment
Getting a easy draw can sometimes go against you when it matters!
I felt like it did Novak no favors last year. Jannik has very good calm and concentration, but this is his first Major as #1, and with a lot of weight of expectation. As @PhiEaglesfan712 said above, it's a shame we got this match so early in the tournament. It was a good one, and I was going to be sorry to see either one go out this soon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I felt like it did Novak no favors last year. Jannik has very good calm and concentration, but this is his first Major as #1, and with a lot of weight of expectation. As @PhiEaglesfan712 said above, it's a shame we got this match so early in the tournament. It was a good one, and I was going to be sorry to see either one go out this soon.
Matteo's focus and level was the best I have seen from him in a long time,
Sinner's has always had good composure on court, when he is down he just gets on with his game and works harder, thats the mark of a really good player

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How overrated could Matteo be making a Wimbledon final? That was no accident & he stole the 1st set off Novak coming back to take the TB! His game is as good or better than others we try and elevate like FAA, Tiafoe, & Taylor! He has a bangin' serve, a wicked FH, & can hit his BH w/ 1 or 2 hands! His "Tyrone Powers" good looks are just a bonus! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I appreciate your backing Matteo, and reminding folks not to underestimate him just because he's pretty. However, as a reminder, Berrettini did NOT "steal" that first set off of Novak. He won it. He did start slowly, in his first, (and, to date, only) Major final, but he got the early break back late in the set, then played the better tiebreak. It is only very occasionally fair to say that someone maybe sneaked out a set when another player collapses. This was not the case. Novak was in it, and got out-played late in the set. I find it tiresome to insist that someone "stole" the set, just because the guy you like lost it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm mainly jesting, saying that the Berrettini obsession is a bit like "Kournikova-mania" back in the day.

That said, it is easy to underrate such players with "off-court appeal." Kournikova was actually a pretty good player, and iirc her career got derailed by various stuff - including her status as a sex symbol. Similarly, Berrettini was definitely in the mix there for a few years - not in the true elite, but definitely in the "second tier" zone. He reached two SF and one Slam F, losing to Rafa in both SFs and Novak in the final. No shame in that. He even took a set off Rafa in the second semi, and one off Novak in the final.

I see him in a similar category as Hurkacz and Rublev: not quite enough to win a Slam except in a lucky scenario, but definitely a potential spoiler. He's one of the better players on tour not to win a Masters.
Have to say after today's performance I have not seen this focus and level from Matteo since he was playing good solid grass court tennis when he won Queens, went onto play Wimbledon,
Agree a player on the tour that was not been able to win a Masters's shame there wasnt one on grass, he might have won it :)

Reactions: kskate2 and El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cant you think of a different response that one is growing 'cob webs;' on it, so old :)
I feel like declaring a moratorium on calling people's comments "old." (And I know you're being ironic, here.) I thought that one of the main things we do around here is repeat ourselves, and rake over old issues. Personally, I like it! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel like declaring a moratorium on calling people's comments "old." (And I know you're being ironic, here.) I thought that one of the main things we do around here is repeat ourselves, and rake over old issues. Personally, I like it! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
AP thinks Keli you and I are like the Holy Trinity, we call out his scrubs on a regular basis LOL!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have to say after today's performance I have not seen this focus and level from Matteo since he was playing good solid grass court tennis when he won Queens, went onto play Wimbledon,
Agree a player on the tour that was not been able to win a Masters's shame there wasnt one on grass, he might have won it :)
I hope he takes this level into the North American HC swing. I think he can do damage, if he stays healthy.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Felix has truly morphed into one of Tiafoe's clowns.
All I will say on that match, because AP will come down on me like a 'ton of bricks' is that, was a match FAA should have won, mentally he goes away in matches when he has the upper hand., on a surface that suits his game.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Felix has truly morphed into one of Tiafoe's clowns.
I don't know if that's fair, and I didn't really hear Frances's comment about "clowns," so I don't know who he meant. I know you're disappointed in Felix. This seemed like a match he should have won. And he hasn't lived up to expectations. I guess it's something he can't find in the ambition department, because he certainly has talent and tools. Well, some fail to live up to expectations. Coric, Gasquet, Tsonga, Thiem, etc...for many reasons. Early promise doesn't always translate to big game results. Or often doesn't. I do feel that whatever is lacking in Felix is not fixable. The lack of a killer instinct is obvious by now. What else is he missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know if that's fair, and I didn't really hear Frances's comment about "clowns," so I don't know who he meant. I know you're disappointed in Felix. This seemed like a match he should have won. And he hasn't lived up to expectations. I guess it's something he can't find in the ambition department, because he certainly has talent and tools. Well, some fail to live up to expectations. Coric, Gasquet, Tsonga, Thiem, etc...for many reasons. Early promise doesn't always translate to big game results. Or often doesn't. If do feel that whatever is lacking in Felix is not fixable. The lack of a killer instinct is obvious by now. What else is he missing?
He's got a complete game, as far as I can tell. A couple years ago his 2nd served sucked, but I think it has been improved.

But yeah, you're right. Every young player has a range of "floor to ceiling," and while most end up somewhere in the mid-range, FAA is ending up near the floor. He's sort of the anti-Ferrer, in that regard.

Anyhow, he should at least be right up there with Zverev and Tsitsipas - as a "lesser elite" player. That's pretty much where my expectations are at, as far as his talent. For a bit there it looked like he was going to stabilize in the Rublev/Hurkacz range, but that didn't last, and he slipped back into the Gasquet Zone: not quite second tier, but better than the pack.

Who knows, maybe he'll do a Grigor and pull it together in a few years and win a couple big titles. I mean, in a way he's kind of like another Grigor.

On a related note, it is interesting how the first two "Millenials" we all became aware of are both big disappointments, and both Canadians. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.