2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One video i saw on Twiitter it was on an angle and even Gil Gross who I respect. said it was hard for the umpire to call, seeing he was up high? still when in doubt the umpire should have said Replay The Point?
As I said to Keli this will be the talk of the mens locker room? and not in a good way for Draper, still Draper should have said it was FAA point? and he didnt
Well, that's an interesting point from a person you respect, but yes, then, just replay the point. Why end on controversy? To me, it seems to ump and director inserting themselves, and not in a good way. Why have a replay system?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, that's an interesting point from a person you respect, but yes, then, just replay the point. Why end on controversy? To me, it seems to ump and director inserting themselves, and not in a good way. Why have a replay system?
Exactly does the replay system have bloody cobwebs on it ? Use it especially in cases like this!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gee the 2 serve bots are in a TB for the 2nd set I hope it goes something like this 100-88 in favor of Zverev seeing he needs to win the 2nd set to stay in the match
Oh well not quite Zverev wins the 2nd set TB 76(3) Shelton could have extended him.
Going 3 sets.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gee the 2 serve bots are in a TB for the 2nd set I hope it goes something like this 100-88 in favor of Zverev seeing he needs to win the 2nd set to stay in the match
I don't think Shelton is a servebot. He's been mixing it up more in the past year. He's also been playing smart, when Sascha was looking shaky, but Zverev has brought up his first serve pct by a lot, and he's very sturdy, even if not playing well. I do find his metronomic tennis boring, however. But I don't think either is a "servebot" in the mold of an Isner or Karlovic or Opelka.

Reactions: tossip and Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I watched the video that Don Fabio put up. FAA did call the tournament director, but he was useless, too. Why could they not show a replay, or replay the point?

I don't know if Draper was lying about what he knew, though he swears he was looking at Felix. Still, though, he asked the chair immediately about a replay. He also offered to replay the point. He was saying live that he knew he was going to come off as a bad guy. It seems to me that he offered to review the point or replay it. The morons in this scenario, it seems to me, were the chair and the tournament director. The chair umpire even had the nerve to say to Felix, "We can review it together later, and if I'm wrong, I'll apologize." What good does that do? Instead of giving him the chance to actually win the match.
There are plenty of videos out there. Many on Twitter. But he wasn't looking at Felix. He was looking at the ball when he hit. That stuff doesn't even make any sense. I was watching FAA. If he was watching Felix, how could he know where the ball was? Anyhow, like I said earlier, Felix was the furthest away and he saw what happened. Why is the chair and Jack all of a sudden blind and they had a front row seat? Moreso, the chair. It's his job to watch the ball and it was right there in his face. I agree that it's not Jack's job to call it, but can you see any of the Big 3 doing that, Jannik or Charlie? Cmon. They would get lambasted in social media.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Shelton is a servebot. He's been mixing it up more in the past year. He's also been playing smart, when Sascha was looking shaky, but Zverev has brought up his first serve pct by a lot, and he's very sturdy, even if not playing well. I do find his metronomic tennis boring, however. But I don't think either is a "servebot" in the mold of an Isner or Karlovic or Opelka.
Really ? Ben needs a lot of work in his game, returning etc, I find both of them boring

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At the end of the day a player who didnt make a ball eg double bounce would say ' I didnt make it" would they not? even if the umpire ruled in their favor?
It is called Sportsmanship, which Draper apparently chooses to Ignore.
We have seen plenty of times when a player on court has conceded a point to his fellow player and directed it to the umpire, saying it was his point? that is 'sportsmanship' and a respect for your fellow player, when clearly the point wasnt yours?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Boring Pole vs Frances match will start shortly thank God for Frances he is an entertainer :)
I need to take a shower I am dripping wet and need to eat breakie
Wasnt Carlos Bernandes suppose to retire he is on this match, maybe they cant get enough top umpires at this tournament

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There are plenty of videos out there. Many on Twitter. But he wasn't looking at Felix. He was looking at the ball when he hit. That stuff doesn't even make any sense. I was watching FAA. If he was watching Felix, how could he know where the ball was? Anyhow, like I said earlier, Felix was the furthest away and he saw what happened. Why is the chair and Jack all of a sudden blind and they had a front row seat? Moreso, the chair. It's his job to watch the ball and it was right there in his face. I agree that it's not Jack's job to call it, but can you see any of the Big 3 doing that, Jannik or Charlie? Cmon. They would get lambasted in social media.
All fair. I was dropping in late, and trying to give Jack a break, if it was possible. He DID ask for a replay, and offer to replay the point. But if he really knows what happened, and didn't call himself on it, it's definitely not in the spirit of tennis or sportsmanship. I think most of us remember that Raonic had a net touch against Del Potro years back, and didn't call it on himself. It stains you.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The Boring Pole vs Frances match will start shortly thank God for Frances he is an entertainer :)
I need to take a shower I am dripping wet and need to eat breakie
Wasnt Carlos Bernandes suppose to retire he is on this match, maybe they cant get enough top umpires at this tournament
After the behavior of last night's umpire, the tour cannot afford for Carlos to retire unless he plans to open an umpire training academy.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
All fair. I was dropping in late, and trying to give Jack a break, if it was possible. He DID ask for a replay, and offer to replay the point. But if he really knows what happened, and didn't call himself on it, it's definitely not in the spirit of tennis or sportsmanship. I think most of us remember that Raonic had a net touch against Del Potro years back, and didn't call it on himself. It stains you.
I remember that Raonic match and it does stain you. He was rather young when he made that faux pas too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Brave hold there from Shelton for 4-3.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Rain shower rolls in suspending play. Ben holds for 4-3 in the decider as the deluge starts

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I remember that Raonic match and it does stain you. He was rather young when he made that faux pas too.
It was in Canada, and may have been QF or something. Raonic said later that it was an important tournament, and who would have called that on themselves? (It wasn't a MP, but he did win the match.) He was skewered in the Canadian press for over the whole thing. There are players who show sportsmanship all the time. And, as you point out above, the big 3 or Jannick or Charly wouldn't do that, if for no other reason than they know that they'd be crucified. Also, because they'd trust themselves to win, anyway.

It was a cheap win, and I bet Draper will find it's actually expensive, in the end.

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Back on court. Both hold serve effortlessly. Ben up 5-4. Sudden death begans

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
About ready to settle in and watch Big Foe and Hubi retires w/ pain in his knee. 3-6

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
About ready to settle in and watch Big Foe and Hubi retires w/ pain in his knee. 3-6
Yeah, me too. I had just been watching the scores during the delay. Probably wise, Hubie on his freshly repaired knee. Save it for the USO?

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik I am warning you I will take your Italian passport off you if you lose to Zverev? Capice

I see the Pole retired the knee was playing up, seeing his doctors advised him he should not play till 2025? I am surprised he played Montreal or Cinncy