2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want what ever Monfils is on, he looks as fresh as a daisy! winning the 1st set 63
Be careful what you say...Front is listening, and he's always looking for someone to be on the sauce. LOL. I think it must be cooler and the sun is low, so that has to help. Plus, he probably would like to get this done in 2, or weariness could set it.

• Haha
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Be careful what you say...Front is listening, and he's always looking for someone to be on the sauce. LOL. I think it must be cooler and the sun is low, so that has to help. Plus, he probably would like to get this done in 2, or weariness could set it.
LOL! Fronty and I are good as gold :) oh well Rune has taken control of the 2nd set, Gael needs to win this in 2 sets before the 37 yo youngster fades into the sunset :) though I wont rule out Gael just yet, he could have a 'second wind' in him
Rune can be a slow starter in his matches

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Moxie

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Draper us now being coached by Wayne Ferreira.Its just a revolving door of coaches.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Draper us now being coached by Wayne Ferreira.Its just a revolving door of coaches.
Actually since Jack hired Wayne Ferreira as part of his coaching team, Jack has posted some good results being more offensive, also Jack dosent seem to get as injured as much compared to 2023!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune wins in 3 sets over Monfils 36 63 64
At this point in time of both players respective careers Rune needed this win and he is into the QFs at Cinncy
Bad luck Gael doing double duty at the 37 yo young is tough, though you gave it your all!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW I didnt need to see a video of Tsitsipas and Badosa holding hands and lying down and stretching up against a wall Ugh! gosh I wish they would stop being annoying as hell on social media they cant help themselves!

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor Jack Draper his shoes were ringing wet and the umpire gave him extra time to get dry ones thank goodness his coach was on hand to pass it to the ball ball to hand the new ones to Jack
Draper has a break in the 3rd set against FAA leading 5-3
Draper will now serve at 5-4 to win the match against FAA
Well done Draper who defeats FAA in 3 sets to make the QFs at Cincy 57 64 64!, there was a bad call at the closing end of this match by the Umpire? should have been a replay of the point, it was a split second decision, hard to see the double bounce from sitting in a 10ft tall chair
The USO is implementing the VR system on 8 of its match courts thank goodness

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This should be a fun match Tiafoe vs Lehecka players warming up now, and match has just started

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think you're wrong about Djokovic. He HATES playing in windy conditions. I could give you a few famous examples.
Not only that he hates wind, I'm not sure if he is too friendly with the sun/heat either.

I think he likes it indoor the most. Perfect conditions for his finely tuned game and no weather issues. It's not a coinsidence that he plays so well indoors.

Of the big3, we can say that Nadal harnessed the wind.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not only that he hates wind, I'm not sure if he is too friendly with the sun/heat either.

I think he likes it indoor the most. Perfect conditions for his finely tuned game and no weather issues. It's not a coinsidence that he plays so well indoors.
I agree he doesn't love the heat, either, and that he's very happy indoors. He prefers the controllable conditions. Though, he's obviously managed a lot of winning even outside of his comfort zone. I just had to challenge Front on calling him a great wind player.
Of the big3, we can say that Nadal harnessed the wind.
Rafa's spin is a huge factor. He can usually keep the ball in court by making it heavier than the wind. Also, his ability to focus in adverse conditions. Of the 3, he was the one who favored outdoors.

Interesting sidebar on wind players: Murray learned to play in the wind. (He was such an intelligent player, IMO.) In 2009, he played a final at IW v. Rafa in a terrible desert windstorm. Rafa beat him soundly, 1 and 2. Cut to 2012 US Open SFs, with a hurricane not far from NYC and the wind was terrible. Murray beat Berdych in the first SF, by outsmarting him in the wind. (Berdych has a high ball toss, which was a liability in the conditions, but Murray's assessment of what to do, depending on which side of the court, was masterful, as he detailed after the match.) Djokovic, in his SF, was losing in the first 2-5 to Ferrer (!!) when play was stopped, and Djokovic turned it around the next day, when conditions were much better. But in the final, wind was a factor, and helped Murray to his first Major win. Djokovic, for all of his talents, can't seem to adjust to the wind, in the same way. I don't think Roger ever did, either, though he rarely got as crabby about it. LOL!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree he doesn't love the heat, either, and that he's very happy indoors. He prefers the controllable conditions. Though, he's obviously managed a lot of winning even outside of his comfort zone. I just had to challenge Front on calling him a great wind player.

Rafa's spin is a huge factor. He can usually keep the ball in court by making it heavier than the wind. Also, his ability to focus in adverse conditions. Of the 3, he was the one who favored outdoors.

Interesting sidebar on wind players: Murray learned to play in the wind. (He was such an intelligent player, IMO.) In 2009, he played a final at IW v. Rafa in a terrible desert windstorm. Rafa beat him soundly, 1 and 2. Cut to 2012 US Open SFs, with a hurricane not far from NYC and the wind was terrible. Murray beat Berdych in the first SF, by outsmarting him in the wind. (Berdych has a high ball toss, which was a liability in the conditions, but Murray's assessment of what to do, depending on which side of the court, was masterful, as he detailed after the match.) Djokovic, in his SF, was losing in the first 2-5 to Ferrer (!!) when play was stopped, and Djokovic turned it around the next day, when conditions were much better. But in the final, wind was a factor, and helped Murray to his first Major win. Djokovic, for all of his talents, can't seem to adjust to the wind, in the same way. I don't think Roger ever did, either, though he rarely got as crabby about it. LOL!
I have to agree, Murray is a player that could handled the windy conditions, the wind is a great leveler in tennis., players need to adjust their ground strokes accordingly and serve.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to agree, Murray is a player that could handled the windy conditions, the wind is a great leveler in tennis., players need to adjust their ground strokes accordingly and serve.
The point is that Murray learned and adjusted, as you say. I'll see if I can dig up what he said he did in that match. It was very specific. If you remember, even the chairs were blowing on to the court. It takes intelligence and calm, but also a change of tactics to deal with extreme conditions.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What a TB both players had BPs and SP on their serves, with both players returning well
SP No 5 for Jiri 9-8
Frances with good 1st serves and it is his MP No 3 10-9
Stop this lol!
Jiri with No 6 SP 11-10
Finally Jiri wins the TB 76(10) I need a stiff drink lol!, I better go quickly and buy some milk for my afternoon coffee which is more sensible:)
Toilet break
Going 3 sets

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Frances has to hang on to his emotions now. Good hold to start.