2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA d Ruud (7) 63 61
FAA will also have to play a second match later not before 7pm against Jack Draper

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow!
Charley crushes his racquet on the ground after Monfils holds for a 3-1 lead in the 3rd set
I cant see that racquet coming back :)
He was furious, smashed that thing ala Djokovic. He better shake off that OG loss and move forward, USO is around the corner. He might be rusty now, but last year he let that Cincinatti epic 4 hour match get to him a little bit and it cost him.

Maybe he relaxed too much after OG...regroup and aim for the USO.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Really wish I could have seen that. What a win for Monfils and just reinforces my utter distain for the state of modern tennis that there are so few fast hard courts like this as we'd see more and more of seasoned veterans beating the young guys, many of whom just aren't good on them.

Reactions: Fiero425 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He was furious, smashed that thing ala Djokovic. He better shake off that OG loss and move forward, USO is around the corner. He might be rusty now, but last year he let that Cincinatti epic 4 hour match get to him a little bit and it cost him.

Maybe he relaxed too much after OG...regroup and aim for the USO.
Must say Novak has more smashed racquets than Charly, who has a lot of catching up to do in that department :)
Gael was the better player today and he deserved his win
Carly was rusty, which was expected, coming from clay to HC, he went a on a holiday before Cinncy
Yep Charly will now reset and concentrate and practice on HC for the USO

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Really wish I could have seen that. What a win for Monfils and just reinforces my utter distain for the state of modern tennis that there are so few fast hard courts like this as we'd see more and more of seasoned veterans beating the young guys, many of whom just aren't good on them.
Monfils such a super talent, at 37 years young, nearly 38 next month, he can match it with the best of them, sad to say he hasnt really been that consistent in his career

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a Fun Stat!

Gael Monfils will will turn 38 on 1st September, is the 2nd oldest man able to defeat a Top 3 player this century
The 1st player is Roger Federer who defeated Djokovic at the ATP Finals in 2019!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz will stay at No 3 after this early defeat at Cinncy, for the USO, he did have a chance to be ranked No 2 if he went further at Cinncy

Reactions: nehmeth

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Robredo beat Djokovic here too in 2014 in straight sets as an old fart so we definitely need more faster courts. The current speeds on 90% of them piss me off beyond belief these days. It's more about retrieval than winners which is absolute bs. If I wanted to watch that, I'd go to the beach and watch people throw balls to their dogs. Making them faster levels the playing field with age v youth. The sport is basically now mostly about fitness rather than actual tennis and they need to fix this.

Attacking/offensive/aggressive play isn't rewarded most of the time cos the courts are so damn slow many players can get to balls they shouldn't be able to on a proper court and then these boring retrievers would be relegated to winning only on the slowest courts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Robredo beat Djokovic here too in 2014 in straight sets as an old fart so we definitely need more faster courts. The current speeds on 90% of them piss me off beyond belief these days. It's more about retrieval than winners which is absolute bs. If I wanted to watch that, I'd go to the beach and watch people throw balls to their dogs. Making them faster levels the playing field with age v youth. The sport is basically now mostly about fitness rather than actual tennis and they need to fix this.
I remember that match from Tommy Robredo :) there are very few faster courts now, Cinncy is one, I dont think we can say the USO is fast anymore can we?
I feel they should be a balance on all surfaces, at present the medium pace courts are taking over on a HC

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA finally breaking through to elite level.

Just kidding.
Hold your horses, Ruud has been struggling with the flu since Montreal and there were rumours he was going to withdraw, even FAA said he knew his opponent was struggling today in their match

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a Fun Stat!

Gael Monfils will will turn 38 on 1st September, is the 2nd oldest man able to defeat a Top 3 player this century
The 1st player is Roger Federer who defeated Djokovic at the ATP Finals in 2019!
At first I thought you meant Open Era, but you specified 21st century. Ken Rosewall was still beating top 10 guys into his 40s. The last time he beat a top 10 guy was late 1977 at age 43, beating #10 Dick Stockton. The last time he beat a top 5 guy was also in 1977 at age 42, when he beat Vitas Gerulaitis (#5). He beat #2 John Newcombe in 1974 at age 39, his last top 3 head (he also beat Newcombe that year when Nuke was #1 for a bit).

Back to this century, Ivo Karlovic was 35 when he beat #1 Novak Djokovic in 2015. Impressive, considering that was Novak's best year and he lost only six matches.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Hold your horses, Ruud has been struggling with the flu since Montreal and there were rumours he was going to withdraw, even FAA said he knew his opponent was struggling today in their match
Read the fine print - my horses are held.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember that match from Tommy Robredo :) there are very few faster courts now, Cinncy is one, I dont think we can say the USO is fast anymore can we?
I feel they should be a balance on all surfaces, at present the medium pace courts are taking over on a HC
The US Open speed has been a pile of crap for years. Dubai is still quite fast and Rotterdam afaik but I may be wrong on Rotterdam these days. For grass, Newport is the fastest still and Halle is still quite a bit faster than Wimbledon also although that's slowed down too.

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
The US Open speed has been a pile of crap for years. Dubai is still quite fast and Rotterdam afaik but I may be wrong on Rotterdam theae days. For grass, Newport is the fastest still and Halle is still quite a bit faster than Wimbledon also although that's slowed down too.
"The US Open has been a pile of crap since after 2008" ~ Front242, for some strange reason.

• Haha
Reactions: Front242 and Moxie

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He was rather gutted after the Gold medal round loss. Pretty sure after Wimbledon he was expecting to win. Novak being Novak was in lock down. It’s no fun being up against someone who won’t allow you to hit your top level. I like Carlos and he‘s doing well. Hopefully no slump in the final part of the season like last year.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He was rather gutted after the Gold medal round loss. Pretty sure after Wimbledon he was expecting to win. Novak being Novak was in lock down. It’s no fun being up against someone who won’t allow you to hit your top level. I like Carlos and he‘s doing well. Hopefully no slump in the final part of the season like last year.
Yes that loss really affected him because he was very close.Novak wanted that gold medal more.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At first I thought you meant Open Era, but you specified 21st century. Ken Rosewall was still beating top 10 guys into his 40s. The last time he beat a top 10 guy was late 1977 at age 43, beating #10 Dick Stockton. The last time he beat a top 5 guy was also in 1977 at age 42, when he beat Vitas Gerulaitis (#5). He beat #2 John Newcombe in 1974 at age 39, his last top 3 head (he also beat Newcombe that year when Nuke was #1 for a bit).

Back to this century, Ivo Karlovic was 35 when he beat #1 Novak Djokovic in 2015. Impressive, considering that was Novak's best year and he lost only six matches.
I got that stat from a reliable source a tennis journalist who stated ' Gael was the 2nd oldest man able to defeat a Top 3 player in this century? also I just read it on the ATP website regarding Gael and Roger

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Apart from the gold medal loss, Charly took a well earned holiday, he hadnt much time to practice from a clay court to a hard court, Gael deserved his win today, Gael will have to do double duty and play Rune later today
Charly will now have to reset and practice for the USO, he is too good of a player not to be able to do that.