2024 ATP General News

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see Carreno Busta back playing well as Zverev barely beat him in 2 sets. A few points going his way and the result would be reversed. He was really good on the hard courts before his injury setbacks. As it stands, I'd have him as a dark horse at the USO with a good draw.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a Fun Stat!

Gael Monfils will will turn 38 on 1st September, is the 2nd oldest man able to defeat a Top 3 player this century
The 1st player is Roger Federer who defeated Djokovic at the ATP Finals in 2019!
Tommy Haas was a few weeks from 35 when he beat Djokovic 6-2 6-4 at Miami 2013. Another great veteran win.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good to see Carreno Busta back playing well as Zverev barely beat him in 2 sets. A few points going his way and the result would be reversed. He was really good on the hard courts before his injury setbacks. As it stands, I'd have him as a dark horse at the USO with a good draw.
What was Zverev complaining to Xarlos about?he is always bitching about something.

Last edited:
Reactions: nehmeth

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Why was Zverev complaining to Xarlos about?he is always bitching about something.
Wasn't able to watch any of it unfortunately so I've no idea. Over in Latvia for 2 weeks and was just following live scores.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Charly "Worst match I ever played in my career"

Well thats an honest assessment ( I guess)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Charly "Worst match I ever played in my career"

Well thats an honest assessment ( I guess)
Honestly hate comments like this from losing players. Djokovic said the exact same thing when Haas beat him at Miami 2013 but it was more about not being able to contend with all the variety and all court play to anyone who watched it. No credit to the winner's tactics and play. Zverev is a similar bad loser at times with this "worst match I ever played crap".

Saw the stats of this match at some point in the 3rd set and Monfils had 8 double faults and Alcaraz had 7 so they both hit a lot of those. Monfils had more aces (13 to 8) at the time I caught the stats and break points saved were similar. The old guy deserves more credit than that bs assessment from what I saw of the stats. I've seen enough of Alcaraz the last few seasons to know fast hard courts are his weakness. So that's the problem and reason for his loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Honestly hate comments like this from losing players. Djokovic said the exact same thing when Haas beat him at Miami 2013 but it was more about not being able to contend with all the variety and all court play ti anyone who watched it. No credit to the winner's tactics and play. Zverev is a similar bad loser at times with this "worst match I played crap".

Saw the stats of this match at some point in the 3rd set and Monfils had 8 double faults and Alcaraz had 7 so they both hit a lot of those. Monfils had more aces (13 to 8) at the time I caught the stats and break points saved were similar. The old guy deserves more credit than that bs assessment from what I saw of the stats.
I think it was an Over Emotional " comment from Alcaraz, a player has to turn 'Up' to play regardless of your ranking and the best can be beaten on any given day, if they dont turn up!
Monfils deserved his win full stop

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiafoe and Lehecka later might be a fun match. Won't get to see it unfortunately.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lets see how if Monfils has still got plenty left in his tank he is about to start his match against Rune

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Apart from the gold medal loss, Charly took a well earned holiday, he hadnt much time to practice from a clay court to a hard court, Gael deserved his win today, Gael will have to do double duty and play Rune later today
Charly will now have to reset and practice for the USO, he is too good of a player not to be able to do that.
It is no easy task to always be the hunted and “up” for every big event. It’s necessary to have a good break in order to reset for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Honestly hate comments like this from losing players. Djokovic said the exact same thing when Haas beat him at Miami 2013 but it was more about not being able to contend with all the variety and all court play to anyone who watched it. No credit to the winner's tactics and play. Zverev is a similar bad loser at times with this "worst match I played crap".

Saw the stats of this match at some point in the 3rd set and Monfils had 8 double faults and Alcaraz had 7 so they both hit a lot of those. Monfils had more aces (13 to 8) at the time I caught the stats and break points saved were similar. The old guy deserves more credit than that bs assessment from what I saw of the stats. I've seen enough of Alcaraz the last few seasons to know fast hard courts are his weakness. So that's the problem and reason for his loss.
The. wind and the weather was bad. Too many tournaments with covered roofs and the kiddies cry when they can’t play at their best level. Part of outdoor sport is playing the weather too.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The. wind and the weather was bad. Too many tournaments with covered roofs and the kiddies cry when they can’t play at their best level. Part of outdoor sport is playing the weather too.
100% Djokovic and Nadal are 2 of the best players in windy conditions. Federer's game was always more high risk and more affected by it than the other 2 of the big 3 but some of the players on tour just can't handle it at all.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
100% Djokovic and Nadal are 2 of the best players in windy conditions. Federer's game was always more high risk and more affected by it than the other 2 of the big 3 but some of the players on tour just can't handle it at all.
I think you're wrong about Djokovic. He HATES playing in windy conditions. I could give you a few famous examples.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lets see how if Monfils has still got plenty left in his tank he is about to start his match against Rune
He's looked great in the first set! I wondered the same, because he looked hot and tired earlier today.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
M/b this w/b a more conventional era w/ the top players truly vulnerable to upset periodically! It was an anomaly the resilience of the Big 3 going 20+ yrs. at the top of the rankings trading the #1 ranking! I've already said it'll be routine for players to have success 1 week, make or win a final, then go down in flames the following event! They might as well WD which we're seeing more often w/ the lesser players! They invariably get upset or have an ailment so they might as well save the trip! I don't blame them w/ the rigors of the tour, traveling around the world a few times every year! Success breeds success and extending oneself to the limit trying to take advantage of "the moment!" I used to say "cry me a river" hearing the elites catterwaul about the grueling schedule as they all supported and collected BIG $$ in that silly East Indian Team Tennis tour I refused to watch! I may have snuck in a few minutes of Nadal going down in flames on those lightning fast courts! What an idiot! Always playing the victim w/ his bad foot, but couldn't help accepting money grabs when he should have been resting in the offseason! :angry-face::astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-symbols-on-mouth: