2024 ATP General News

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
They're going thru a change! A couple Masters events in Europe have already gone to 2 weeks! Canada & Cincy will follow suit more than likely! The tennis schedule is so cramped as it is! As I said, I'm not sure how much I'll be watching in the coming years! The game's already a ball-bashing fest! It's only gotten worse as these players are going "full out" crushing the ball during rallies that are interminable as sets routinely go over an hour; not just w/ Nadal & Djokovic! The women are getting there! The players will continue brk'n down IMO w/ plenty of WD's occurring more frequently!:slap:
Canada and Cincy is going 2 weeks starting next year. In fact, Canada is scheduled to start on July 28 next year.

I think part of the problem is that this is an Olympic year, and the ATP/WTA didn't really have a plan around it. I hope they don't make the same mistake in 2028. The Olympics are going to start on Friday, July 14, so they'll need to decide what's going to happen to Wimbledon (I mean, it probably can't be held at it's normal slot that year for starters).

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Popyrin joins a group of outliers who won a Masters without first ever being in the top 20. There are others, most notably Robert Carretero who won 1996 Hamburg, beating Kafelnikov in the SF and Corretja in the F, and never reached the top 50. And of course the 90s and early 00s had a bunch of non-elites win Masters, with the same level of dominant elite as the Big Four era. In the last two decades, though, it has almost been as exclusive as Slams, until 2017 when Big Four Hegemony began to become eroded from the bottom up by Next Gen. So we've had non-elites like Sock, Khachanov, Coric, Fognini, Isner, and Carreno Busta win Masters - guys that spent years in Slam seeding (top 30) but rarely if ever breached the top 10.

I remember Popyrin as far back as 2019ish, when he skimmed the top 100 at 19-20 but didn't really develop, though over the last few years climbed up into the lower half of the top 50.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Cincinnati today mens,

Good to see Jiri Lehecka return to the tour, after having to retire in the SF Madrid earlier this year against FAA with a back injury, he has returned to the tour with a 1st round win over Navone 76(3) 63! Jiri was due to play with Ruud in doubles yesterday, they withdrew

Also another good win from Italian Coboli who defeated Paul (10) 62 46 75 yesterday, another Top 20 win for the Italian, defeating Shelton (14) in Washington, #19 FAA in Montreal and Paul in Cinncy

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The 2 top American men both lost in the 1st round at Cinncy tournament,
Taylor Fritz following Tommy Paul to the exits with a 64 46 76(4) loss to Brandon Nakashima
In his last 2 events, Brandon has beaten the No 1 and No 2 American ranked men, he is playing his best tennis of late

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alex de Minaur who sustained a hip injury at Wimbledon, and has not been able to compete since his injury has confirmed he will be playing at the USO ( working hard to recover he stated on his Instagram post)

Reactions: lomaha

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alex de Minaur who sustained a hip injury at Wimbledon, and has not been able to compete since his injury has confirmed he will be playing at the USO ( working hard to recover he stated on his Instagram post)
Good for him, he played his best tennis this year before the injury.

When does the USO main draw start and when is the final of the Cincinatti?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Holger Rune showing patience to come from a set down to defeat Berrettini, 26 61 64, plays Borges next possibly Alcaraz after that.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Jannik left his first serve in his bed when he had his bout of tonsillitis he has been struggling with it today in his 1st rd match against the Q Michelsen
Finally Sinner breaks with a decent return and will serve for the match 6-5
Sinner d Michelsen 64 75, Sinner needs to hit the practice court and work on his serve

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The USO has just announced wild cards for the men in the upcoming USO which starts August 26th - September 8
Stan Wawrinka
Dominic Thiem
Chris Eubanks
Zachary Svajda
Learner Tien
Matthew Forbes
Alexandre Muller
Tristan Schoolkate is the Australian reciprocal WC

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
USO 2014 finalist Kei Nishikori who reached the QFs in Canada last week, didnt receive a WC, apparently Kei will play 2 challengers in Italy during the USO

Jannik said after his match still not 100% trying to get as many matches in Cinncy, main goal is to recover as best as possible for the USO

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will give Alexi Popyrin a pass he arrived late into Cinncy after his first Masters 1000 title in Montreal, courts in Cinncy are quicker than at Montreal, didnt have much time to adjust
Monfils d Popyrin 75 63

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just an reminder the draw for both the mens and womens singles will be 'revealed' on Thursday August 22 ( they dont do a 'live draw)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goodness me Lorenzo just a poor match from you, well done to Frances giving you a lesson on quick HC 63 62

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This will be a 'test' for Jiri Lehecka in his 2nd match back from a back injury he sustained in Madrid playing Medvedev now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A really good TB from Jiri Lehechka to win the 1st set 76(2) over Medvedev
Medvedev gets a code violation for berating himself in French, he vehemently tells umpire Aurlie Tourte ( in Fremch) he was talking to himself? he forgot the Umpires speaks French:)

Last edited: