2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I use Tennis Channel for outside of slam matches and the French Open. I believe the Olympics will be on NBC. Beginning next year, the FO will move to TNT.

Anything is an upgrade over ESPN's coverage of the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and US Open. I really miss the days when the AO was the only slam on ESPN, and I'd get to watch the FO and Wimbledon on NBC, and the US Open on CBS (which was the best).
TNT seems like a weird choice. I understand why the Slams would go to the broadcast networks. It allows a wider audience to watch the important tournaments, and assures that tennis can bring in new fans. It can't all be Tennis Channel. But ESPN, and now TNT, are part of subscriptions. And, as you say, ESPN has often been terrible, especially during the AO. They have stopped their coverage in the middle of the night, for no reason, to switch to wrestling or something random. When the only people up watching ESPN in the middle of the night were the people who wanted to watch the AO!

As I say, I get the point of making the Majors available to a wider audience, but where the networks or broader audience cable channels don't want to cover the Majors well, they should let TC pick up the slack. As it is, they do get the repeats. Anyway, ESPN's Wimbledon was better covered than they've done in a while. A friend of mine is English, living in the US and subscribes to the BBC and she much prefers their coverage of Wimbledon.

Don Fabio is right that watching the Majors in the US is like higher math.

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It would be a great time to listen to tennis if they can get rid of all the ESPN announcers but Johnny Mac. Realigned Robbie and Jason would be welcomed
I'm not going to complain about all of the commentators. Clearly, I'm more tolerant that a lot of posters here. But Robbie and Jason are the Dream Team.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not going to complain about all of the commentators. Clearly, I'm more tolerant that a lot of posters here. But Robbie and Jason are the Dream Team.
I often get Jason on womens matches, have always liked him as a commentator, dosent over talk and keeps his comments short and to the point
John Mac should Never Be Allowed To Commentate On Womens Matches Period he is disgraceful, his knowledge is poor for starters

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm watching the Tennis Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Not a dry eye in the house, from Pracash's intro and Vijay's speech.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Robbie's hilarious. Federer "like a mongoose on amphetamines" had me in stitches :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I have no idea what that means, but it's funny. And he shouts it so enthusiastically that you buy it.

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For the frist time since August 2023 Matteo Berrettini will return to the Top 50 when the rankings come out on Monday winning his 9th ATP title at the Swiss Open defeating Halys 63 61, the match was suspended for around 30 minutes, that didnt have negative effect at all to Matteo winning the 2nd set 61.
Matteo didnt lose a set all week and dropped serve once!
Well done Matteo!

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Borges too good for Rafa today in 2 easy sets. He played laser precise and too powerful. Rafa could not keep up with him, which is weird to say.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Borges too good for Rafa today in 2 easy sets. He played laser precise and too powerful. Rafa could not keep up with him, which is weird to say.
Most definitely a sign that he really didnt have his legs but congrats to the victor. All of Us have experience having tired legs especially in a singles tournament. The synergy between mind and the control of the body is not solid. Very similar to what Novak was experiencing during the SW19 final vs Carlitos. No excuses because the most important thing this week for Rafa fans is that he SURVIVED his First full week of tennis in 2 years.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well I thought Rafa exerted himself too much in this tournament. That he made the final was a great result. I hope he's fully fit to compete again. He is a joy to watch.
He definitely looked his age today. His serve never looked as good all week as it did in the first match v. Borg.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fils took down Zverev in a very entertaining 3 sets. Saw a lot more thought during the match from young Arthur. 20 years old and room to grow.
Hi Rob

I watched the 1st set and then had to have a nap, Fils played well all week and I will watch the highlights of the match later
Fils is one of my fav youngsters, glad he won the title

Fils (5) d Zverev (1) 63 36 76(1) Fils played a great TB,, Fils also saved 21 of 22 BPs, match got tense towards the end, a frosty handshake from Zverev at the net never looked Fils in the eyes either, looked away? ( I am glad he lost, another 'self entitled player" like Tsitsipas, who go hand in hand in that department)
Arthur Fils winning his biggest tournament to date ATP500 in Hamburg, this is his 2nd career title to date.
BTW Fils has now moved into #20 in the rankings, a career high with this title win!

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hi Rob

I watched the 1st set and then had to have a nap, Fils played well all week and I will watch the highlights of the match later
Fils is one of my fav youngsters, glad he won the title

Fils (5) d Zverev (1) 63 36 76(1) a frosy handshake from Zverev at the net,
Arthur Fils winning his biggest tournament to date ATP500 in Hamburg, this is his 2nd career title to date.
I liked the way he walked up to Zverev during a changeover.He walked like a man and Zverev never recovered after that verbal exchange.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I liked the way he walked up to Zverev during a changeover.He walked like a man and Zverev never recovered after that verbal exchange.
Fils never back down Tossip good to see, what a jerk Zverev is, he probably thought this title was his because it was in Germany, I have never liked him, self entitled jerk!
Fils started cramping in his arm, did a underarm serve and Zverev never liked it lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: tossip

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Fils run post-French Open reminds me a lot of Coco Gauff's post Wimbledon last year. They both used the first round loss at a slam as a wake-up call. Don't be surprised if Fils goes deep at either the Olympics or the US Open.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fils never back down Tossip good to see, what a jerk Zverev is, he probably thought this title was his because it was in Germany, I have never liked him, self entitled jerk!
Fils started cramping in his arm, did a underarm serve and Zverev never liked it lol!
Serves him right and the crowd really were cheering when Fils made errors.He thought that Fils would give away the match to him..That's why he might never win a slam with his nasty attitude, and his creepy father is really scary.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer