2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray confirms that Paris 2024 Olympic Games will be his last tournament
"Competing for GBR have been by far the most memorable weeks of my career and I'm extremely proud to do it one final time"!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
It's a wonder how beatable Rafa has become on Clay or in general. He's isn't unbeatable anymore. He is not even close to unbeatable. Someone like Alcaraz or Djokovic would be a gigantic challenge for him at the moment.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a wonder how beatable Rafa has become on Clay or in general. He's isn't unbeatable anymore. He is not even close to unbeatable. Someone like Alcaraz or Djokovic would be a gigantic challenge for him at the moment.
Rafa's serve is a huge disadvantage at this point in his career. When he was in his youth or prime he had the speed and quickness to neutralize his opponents ability to punish him. Also, Rafa was one of the best as breaking his opponents afterwards he had lost his service. There's tweaking he can do to beef up his serve and the more he plays his confidence for hitting his spots will increase as well as his overall game.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Well what I observe is unless Rafa has a real headway after his serve he falls behind in rallies and is unable to retrieve anything which is something he was so good at even in 2022. He won 2 matches with Djokovic from 2020 to 2022 and was great. All of a sudden he's retrieving ability has gone down.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well what I observe is unless Rafa has a real headway after his serve he falls behind in rallies and is unable to retrieve anything which is something he was so good at even in 2022. He won 2 matches with Djokovic from 2020 to 2022 and was great. All of a sudden he's retrieving ability has gone down.
Rafa has aged faster than Novak there's no doubt. I actually see it the other way. Rafa has exceeded all of our expectation as far as longevity of his career. His playing style was going to make him very susceptible to getting injured which he has overcome in a tremendous way. Is Rafa in the late 4th qtr of his career, absolutely.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has aged faster than Novak there's no doubt. I actually see it the other way. Rafa has exceeded all of our expectation as far as longevity of his career. His playing style was going to make him very susceptible to getting injured which he has overcome in a tremendous way. Is Rafa in the late 4th qtr of his career, absolutely.

Yes he has aged faster and it would be insansely difficult for him to play Alcaraz or even Nole atm.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Even Djokovic is having difficulty keeping up with Alcaraz and Sinner. But something tells me this feels like the 2002 US Open, and somehow, Nadal and Djokovic will be playing for the Gold Medal.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Speaking of Rublev who is currently playing in Umag tournament, apparently he had a long talk with Marat Safin allowed him to fix his head, more details are on www.tennis.com, I hope that is true as I cannot keep watching Rublev matches if he keeps 'hitting himself".Rublev is the No 1 seed in Umag, won in SS against Carabelli 64 75, Rublev snaps a 4 match losing streak with this win.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not to be for Dominic Thiem in Kutzbuhel. The former champion falls to Tirante in SS in his final match at Kitzbuhel 62 64

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Even Djokovic is having difficulty keeping up with Alcaraz and Sinner. But something tells me this feels like the 2002 US Open, and somehow, Nadal and Djokovic will be playing for the Gold Medal.

It would be a fitting conclusion to their era as it looks as if the batons have been passed on by Fedalovic! Novak's as prepared as much as a 37 y.o. man can be after menicus surgery last month, w/o a single title under his belt! Nadal's in even worse shape struggling to get past the lower level riff raff out there in Bastad last week! The game has sped up so much, his delusion thinks "it's all good" when he actually takes a swipe at the ball ripping a winner! Doesn't he reaiize every point has the potential to being so draining? IMO even he won't be able to withstand the onslaught of offense there is in today's game! It was unfortunate he had to play Sascha in the 1st Rd. in Paris in May, but even w/ the fragile psyche of the German, he wrapped up Rafa in straight sets! :face-with-tears-of-joy::angry-face::astonished-face::yawningface::fearful-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak has had a poor season to date, his clay season also poor, regardless of his knee surgery, he had a favorable draw at Wimbledon, remember it was his decision to play Wimbledon, a walkover to the SF where he wasnt tested at all, he was shown the door in 3 sets by Alcaraz? he hasnt won a title this year, even though one of his main priority's is to win Gold at the Olympics I cant see that happening, of course lets see if he gets another favorable draw at the Olympics like he had at Wimbledon?
Rafa got a lot of practice in Sweden, though has he said he wasnt happy at his playing level at all, though a positive for Rafa he came through the tournament without pain which is a good sign
Quite frankly I cant see Novak or Rafa will be playing for the Gold Medal at the Olympics

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes he has aged faster and it would be insansely difficult for him to play Alcaraz or even Nole atm.
I actually thought he did really well against Zverev at RG all things considered. Some of the shots Zverev hit were just nuts, especially the laser backhands. He wouldn't beat Alcaraz but I'm not convinced Djokovic's movement is any better for now and I'd call that one quite even on clay till I see an improvement in Novak's movement post surgery.

Reactions: Moxie

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I actually thought he did really well against Zverev at RG all things considered. Some of the shots Zverev hit were just nuts, especially the laser backhands. He wouldn't beat Alcaraz but I'm not convinced Djokovic's movement is any better for now and I'd call that one quite even on clay till I see an improvement in Novak's movement post surgery.

I like your skepticism but Nole is great at recovery has a great team and technology. He will be back in 100% health and when he's that way, he will be hard for Rafa to stop especially on hard.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess another way to look at this is would Djokovic have just the same amount of struggle against the guys beating Nadal on clay and my general opinion is yes he would.