2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All to play for in Newport, as Marcos Giron levels up with Alex Michelson 65(4) 63. Both players seeking their maiden ATP title

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coming back from being a set down Marcos Giron wins Newport title and his first ATP title 67(4) 63 75 against Alex Michelson. Well Done!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens Singles Seeds: Paris 2024,

1. Sinner
2. Djokovic
3. Alcaraz
4. Zverev
5. Medevev
6. De Minaur
7. Hirkacz
8. Ruud
9. Frtiz
10. Tsitsipas
11.Paul
12. Humbert
13. Rune
14. Musetti
15. Baez
16 Fils

Reactions: AnonymousFan

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Just read Holger Rune unable to finish his match against Fils at the Hamburg Open, struggling with a knee injury
He hurt his knee in the previous match but even worse he has some trouble with his wrist which might need surgery. He is back in Monaco to have et checked out. The latest news is, that it has to be fixated for 4-5 weeks so he will miss out of the Olympics.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
A little sad inside that this is going to be the last year of the Atlanta tournament. I hope Atlanta gets a 2nd look if Miami is really up for sale. I just feel that Atlanta is misplaced in July, with all the heat and humidity, and would be a better fit for a late March/early April tournament.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A little sad inside that this is going to be the last year of the Atlanta tournament. I hope Atlanta gets a 2nd look if Miami is really up for sale. I just feel that Atlanta is misplaced in July, with all the heat and humidity, and would be a better fit for a late March/early April tournament.
I doubt it.. ATL is not South Beach during Spring break time in late March early April

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I doubt it.. ATL is not South Beach during Spring break time in late March early April
The smaller events in the States will continue to suffer & disappear until we get some top flight players! Right now we have all kinds of potential, but they haven't broken thru yet! We don't have a McEnroe, Connors, Sampras, Agassi, or even a Roddick who just had a serve & FH! The only reason we have any players close to the top is b/c the tour is truly "wanting" w/ the absence of the Big 3! I miss those smaller events like The Trans American at the Cow Palace out in SF on carpet! We could have a final w/ McEnroe & Connors! Where are those days & will we get them back?:exploding-head:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi Rob

I watched the 1st set and then had to have a nap, Fils played well all week and I will watch the highlights of the match later
Fils is one of my fav youngsters, glad he won the title

Fils (5) d Zverev (1) 63 36 76(1) Fils played a great TB,, Fils also saved 21 of 22 BPs, match got tense towards the end, a frosty handshake from Zverev at the net never looked Fils in the eyes either, looked away? ( I am glad he lost, another 'self entitled player" like Tsitsipas, who go hand in hand in that department)
Arthur Fils winning his biggest tournament to date ATP500 in Hamburg, this is his 2nd career title to date.
BTW Fils has now moved into #20 in the rankings, a career high with this title win!
Arthur had some controversy with Sascha due to close calls and some questions about sportsmanship. They hug it out during the trophy ceremony which is good instead each player holding a grudge. Nuff Said. I think Fils may be an upgrade in being more mentally composed than the old guard frenchmen like Gael Monfils.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Arthur had some controversy with Sascha due to close calls and some questions about sportsmanship. They hug it out during the trophy ceremony which is good instead each player holding a grudge. Nuff Said. I think Fils may be an upgrade in being more mentally composed than the old guard frenchmen like Gael Monfils.
I saw the ceremony with the champagne etc it was during the match that Zverev was a 'entitled jerk' sorry AP it is the not first time he has carried on in a match,
Anyway Fils is one of my rising youngsters and it was his first ATP500 win in a hard fought 3 set match he now has moved into the Top 20's a career high because of that win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He hurt his knee in the previous match but even worse he has some trouble with his wrist which might need surgery. He is back in Monaco to have et checked out. The latest news is, that it has to be fixated for 4-5 weeks so he will miss out of the Olympics.
Oh I am soo sorry to hear that updated news, wrist problems for a player is one of the last things they need.Please keep us informed. Thanks and I hope all goes well for Holger.

• Sad
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw the ceremony with the champagne etc it was during the match that Zverev was a 'entitled jerk' sorry AP it is the not first time he has carried on in a match,
Anyway Fils is one of my rising youngsters and it was his first ATP500 win in a hard fought 3 set match he now has moved into the Top 20's a career high because of that win.
Yes maam he was a jerk there's no need to say sorry.. MM.. During the heat of battle, Everyone is not Rafa and have his grace, humility and sportsmanship. Typically I include Roger at Rafa's level in this discussion yet we saw at the US Open vs JMDP he lost his cool. Arthur said that he felt Sascha should not have been offended by his underhand serve because he was cramping. However, he said later that they spoke and are still good friends. MM, we all have gotten into it on the tennis courts including myself and others who played tournaments e.g. @don_fabio @Fiero425 . Heck , I got into it with my weekend doubles teammates last Summer. I had to come back to apologized and we moved on. I am willing to bet the farm that you have gotten into it with EVERYONE on the tennis court from what i know of your personality. jajaja. Let's cut Sascha some slack.. it was competition not something like what occurred with Blake or even when Serena threaten the line judge.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes maam he was a jerk there's no need to say sorry.. MM.. During the heat of battle, Everyone is not Rafa and have his grace, humility and sportsmanship. Typically I include Roger at Rafa's level in this discussion yet we saw at the US Open vs JMDP he lost his cool. Arthur said that he felt Sascha should not have been offended by his underhand serve because he was cramping. However, he said later that they spoke and are still good friends. MM, we all have gotten into it on the tennis courts including and @don_fabio @Fiero425 . Heck , I got into it with my weekend doubles teammates. I had to come back to apologized and we moved on. I am willing to bet the farm that you have gotten into it with EVERYONE on the tennis court from what i know of your personality. jajaja. Let's cut Sascha some slack.. it was competition not something like what occurred with Blake or even when Serena threaten the line judge.
I am not a fan of Zverev he and Tsitsipas are 'entitled jerks' they go hand in hand in that regard, probably Zverev is worse, remember his temper at the umpire in Mexico tournament when he started abusing him and started banging his racquet on the umpires chair? well he was suspended for that outburst,he should have been suspended more from my point of view and others at the time. He came on social media the next day and said sorry and the weak ATP did nothing more against him.Not acceptable in my view AP,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hurkacz who recently had a procedure on his knee, due to that awful fall at Wimbledon, sadly has to withdraw from the Olympics.

Andy Roddick announced he has skin cancer and has urged players to protect themselves more.Just a note from me regarding Skin Cancer is probably is the 'deadliest' of all cancers, fact being it if is not picked up ASAP and gets into the cells of your body it is deadly and hard to control, I know there are other cancers that can be deadly as well, if you have a mole on your skin and it turns a different colour or grows please get it checked out ASAP. Wear SPF50 at all times, even in the Winter outside, cloudy conditions as well, living in Australia we have the highest rate of Skin Cancer due to our climate.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
There's too many entitled jerks in the game today. You can add Holger Rune to that list as well. It's hard to root for him when he has this piss poor attitude, and he doesn't have the accomplishments to back up his spoiled and entitled behavior. If Rune doesn't have a significant change of attitude when he recovers from his injury, the younger guys like Fils, Mensik, and Fonseca will quickly pass him by.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
With Hurkacz withdrawal means that Borna Coric is now qualified for Paris 2024, he is in the Washington ATP500 list, though.
Next players on the alternative list would be Shang, and Harris, who are also in Washington.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There's too many entitled jerks in the game today. You can add Holger Rune to that list as well. It's hard to root for him when he has this piss poor attitude, and he doesn't have the accomplishments to back up his spoiled and entitled behavior. If Rune doesn't have a significant change of attitude when he recovers from his injury, the younger guys like Fils, Mensik, and Fonseca will quickly pass him by.
Well Alcaraz and Sinner have passed the '2 entitled Jerks' Zverev and Tsitsipas already, others will follow suit no doubt.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not a fan of Zverev he and Tsitsipas are 'entitled jerks' they go hand in hand in that regard, probably Zverev is worse, remember his temper at the umpire in Mexico tournament when he started abusing him and started banging his racquet on the umpires chair? well he was suspended for that outburst,he should have been suspended more from my point of view and others at the time. He came on social media the next day and said sorry and the weak ATP did nothing more against him.Not acceptable in my view AP,
MM I'm am just referring to yesterday's incident with Fils.. He just said to Arthur he didnt like what happened in the match. that was no big deal and they both moved on from it. IS Sascha a known jerk.. no doubt he is a jerk and a repeat offender. However, yesterday was just in the heat of battle. IMO

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carltos said that Holger Rune talks more trash than most players.. jajaja.. Rune is already on the top ATP players list of jerks.. jajaja
MM I'm am just referring to yesterday's incident with Fils.. He just said to Arthur he didnt like what happened in the match. that was no big deal and they both moved on from it. IS Sascha a known jerk.. no doubt he is a jerk and a repeat offender. However, yesterday was just in the heat of battle. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that, just had to add why I cannot stand Zvervev that is all with that incident in Mexico and that 'entitled air he carries around' also he is a Head Case, both times in GS finals had the lead and Implodes Mentally!
I am glad Fils won, in a hard fought 3 set match, I mean Zverev had heaps of BPs to convert and could not convert, another case of why at times he is mentally unprepared to break an opponent.The BP stat in a match is a good indicator on how a player is playing in a match.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jiri Lehecka, who had to withdraw from Rome Masters, French Open, Wimbledon and Olympic Games due to a back injury, is back on a tennis court and is practicing on hard courts.

Reactions: Front242