2024 ATP General News

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Richard Gasquet served two types of bread in his qualie match today. The old guy is balling!

Nice to see Perricard win...he's becoming a bit interesting.

And also in qualies, a name I haven't seen in awhile: Lucas Pouille. He was one of the early Next Genners, reaching two Grand Slam QFs and his first title in 2016, as high as #10 in 2018, and the SF at the AO in 2019. But he didn't really get beyond a #10-30 player in 2016-19, then missed all of 2020 and after playing 13 tournaments in 2021, has only played 6 total in 2022-24.

Another name in qualies: Elias Ymer. About 7-8 years ago, the Ymer brothers (along with his younger brother Mikael) were supposed to be the future of Swedish tennis. Elias was even coached by Robin Soderling in 2017-18. But Elias never could break into the ATP tour (or top 100) - he's only made it out of qualies 9 out of 31 tries. Mikael was a bit more successful, breaking into the top 100 in 2019 while still just 20 years old. But he stalled, though reached as high as #50 last year, but then received a doping suspension and retired.

Oh, there is a third Ymer brother: Rafael. He's 18 and been playing on the Junior circuit.

Reactions: mrzz and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Richard Gasquet served two types of bread in his qualie match today. The old guy is balling!

Nice to see Perricard win...he's becoming a bit interesting.

And also in qualies, a name I haven't seen in awhile: Lucas Pouille. He was one of the early Next Genners, reaching two Grand Slam QFs and his first title in 2016, as high as #10 in 2018, and the SF at the AO in 2019. But he didn't really get beyond a #10-30 player in 2016-19, then missed all of 2020 and after playing 13 tournaments in 2021, has only played 6 total in 2022-24.

Another name in qualies: Elias Ymer. About 7-8 years ago, the Ymer brothers (along with his younger brother Mikael) were supposed to be the future of Swedish tennis. Elias was even coached by Robin Soderling in 2017-18. But Elias never could break into the ATP tour (or top 100) - he's only made it out of qualies 9 out of 31 tries. Mikael was a bit more successful, breaking into the top 100 in 2019 while still just 20 years old. But he stalled, though reached as high as #50 last year, but then received a doping suspension and retired.

Oh, there is a third Ymer brother: Rafael. He's 18 and been playing on the Junior circuit.

I just read the transcripts again to refresh my memory.. what an idiot he is. Could he not have come up with a better excuse

On 17 July 2023, CAS announced that Ymer will be suspended for 18 months after having missed three out-of-competition doping test attempts in a 12-month period.[30][31] Ymer said he was innocent and launched an appeal.[32] The suspension was upheld on appeal, with the CAS also making public that Mikael had stated he missed a drug test due to sleeping in after staying up all night to care for his younger brother[33] (presumably Rafael), who Mikael claimed was sick. The CAS reported that the younger brother was at a junior tennis tournament in Finland at the time so Mikael's version of events could not be true.[34] After the suspension was upheld, Ymer announced his retirement from professional tennis on 25 August 2023.[35][36]

Is Mikael allowed to coach his younger bros during his drug suspension ?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Latest news from Mikael Ymer, who came on social media and said he was retiring from professional tennis in August 2023 after his ban
Since then he has posted on social media he is 'bored' and wants to return to tennis, though he has been pretty erratic in his behavior when he was on the tour, Mikael Ymer will be eligible to return to tennis in January 2025.
Under the code of of behavior, Disciplinary, a player is not permitted to play any tournaments or weekly competitions during their suspension.
I would imagine they cannot act as a coach either while serving out their suspension

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Latest news from Mikael Ymer, who came on social media and said he was retiring from professional tennis in August 2023 after his ban
Since then he has posted on social media he is 'bored' and wants to return to tennis, though he has been pretty erratic in his behavior when he was on the tour, Mikael Ymer will be eligible to return to tennis in January 2025.
Under the code of of behavior, Disciplinary, a player is not permitted to play any tournaments or weekly competitions during their suspension.
I would imagine they cannot act as a coach either while serving out their suspension
If I remember correctly they cannot have anything to do w/ the sport (no coaching, playing exho's or even practicing on tournament grounds) while on suspension. I don't even think they can be a spectator either, but this last one probably requires more verification.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If I remember correctly they cannot have anything to do w/ the sport (no coaching, playing exho's or even practicing on tournament grounds) while on suspension. I don't even think they can be a spectator either, but this last one probably requires more verification.
Well, if he unretires in January, M Umer will be known as the king of piss ..he will be tested more than exotic film SW

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray has given an update this morning. He says he will make his decision on Wimbledon as late as possible because the rehabilitation is going 'really well'.The hope is to play Wimbledon and the Olympics before retiring, Andy did mention it was unlikely he will play singles at Wimbledon if he does play, he has been given a WC for doubles

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I went to https:/www.itia.tennis/anti-doping I could not down load some further information, you had to have a apple computer for extra info, as I dont have a apple computer, I could not find out any more info on a player while on suspension

Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
So ridiculous! The Ymer bros are wispy, lit'l boys! How are they benefitting from any drugs? Hard to believe freedom taken away to play tennis! :facepalm:
really you think MYmer was telling the truth because he is very slight frame?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching a video of practice match between Sinner and Djokovic, the easy power of Sinner is really outstanding, to me he is taking the ball way earlier lately too. Great striking skills match with Djokovic. Talk about players who can get that ball to travel at a crazy pace. Anyway back to watching my other Italian Jasmine Paolini in her QF match at Eastbourne.
BTW Jannik won the practice set 6-3

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic says "I'm feeling good" when asked by a little group of media as he exits the court.
"I'll see you guys" tomorrow in the draw? he puts a thump up
( source Carole Bouchard, tennis journalist who was on site for the practice match between Sinner and Djokovic)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Djokovic is waiting for the draw to see if his path is relatively ok before really committing to Wimbledon. A tough draw might convince him to sit out and return for the Olympics.
Well the draw is on Friday 10.00am local time, going on what I saw in the practice match against Sinner he was okay, he also said this would be the practice match they would decide if he plays Wimbledon, he gave the media a Thumb Up, to me he looks like he will play, if he dosent think he can play, he should withdraw before the draw is made, so another player has a chance to play.

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think Djokovic is waiting for the draw to see if his path is relatively ok before really committing to Wimbledon. A tough draw might convince him to sit out and return for the Olympics.
And he might be OK to win a round or two, but come R3 where the seeds show up, it will be tougher and I'm not even thinking ahead to having to play Charlie or Bean.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
And he might be OK to win a round or two, but come R3 where the seeds show up, it will be tougher and I'm not even thinking ahead to having to play Charlie or Bean.
Of all the GS tournaments this is the one where the likelihood of high seeds getting knocked out early is the highest. Novak has always been very fortunate with this occurring previously.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Of all the GS tournaments this is the one where the likelihood of high seeds getting knocked out early is the highest. Novak has always been very fortunate with this occurring previously.
He was the top seed most of those times. That won't be the case this year. We won't know until tomorrow, but he could still have to go through Chaz & Jannik to win this thing,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ESPN Guest commentators for 2024 Championships Wimbledon, John Isner in ESPN debut ( help me I hope he is a better commentator than his tennis play which bored me to tears :)
also Nick Kyrgios returns.

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see,
Stan Wawrinka recieved the last wild card for the Paris Olympics! this is Stans 3rd Olympics and safe to say his last, he won gold medal in the doubles with Federer in 2008

Reactions: AnonymousFan