2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I also agree with Moxie, ( dont faint I do agree with you most of the time) it would be a mistake to play Wimbledon, even though he has had a minor surgical surgery on a small tear in his knee, going from grass back to clay isnt a good idea.
I did say if he wants to win a Gold Medal at the Olympics which he did say was a priority for him this year, go and enter a clay tournament before the Olympics, Rafa has done this, to get more practice on clay, lets face it his clay season was poor, quite frankly I dont think he can rock up at the Olympics and think he can win a Gold Medal on clay, without a tune up, a lot of players, after Wimbledon are also playing clay tournaments before Olympics to tune up their clay game
EDIT:
There is a video of Novak with a long black preventative banadage on his knee, doing lunges and warm up exercises at Wimbledon earlier today

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic ( source Tennis Letter, today Monday 25th June),
Novak Djokovic on his chances of playing Wimbledon,

"I'm going to take it day by day.If I know that I can play close to my maximum, or at maximum, then I'll play.If not, I'll give somebody else a chance to play".

Reminder the draw is this Friday at 10.00 am local time.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem was presented with a farewell trophy at the Mallorca grass court tournament, attended by Toni Nadal
Thiem a wild card was defeated in straight sets by Monfils 63 76(3) in a first round match

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thought of the day from Stefanos Tsitsipas ( Monday 25th June)

"Seeing a tennis player without tan lines is like spotting a unicorn.Mythical in ever sense".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a reminder,

During the Olympics, that coaching will not be permitted. A hefty fine of up to 15,000 pounds or possible be in default
The Law states,
" Players shall not receive coaching during a match.Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a team member maybe construed as coaching".

Reactions: Moxie and Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a reminder,

During the Olympics, that coaching will not be permitted. A hefty fine of up to 15,000 pounds or possible be in default
The Law states,
" Players shall not receive coaching during a match.Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a team member maybe construed as coaching".
That's ShitHisPants gone in round 1 so!

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What did FF3 do to his head? It appears Flavia went rogue and poured Clorox on his mop.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Shelton will join Alex de Minaur, Tommy Paul and Taylor Frtiz to represent Team World at the Laver Cup, Berlin from September 20-22

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Joao Fonseca 17 yo, lost at Wimbledon qualifying but got invited to play the Hurlingham exhibition and just beat a top 100, he took out Alexei Popyrin 76(11) 63 in the tennis classic.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
LOL! my thoughts exactly unless they put double strength duck tape over Papa's mouth and tie his arms in double strength rope so he can give hand signals :)
The first player I thought of would be affected by the no coaching rule is Alcaraz.

I think the rule will definitely help the older players, like Nadal and Djokovic, who were around long before coaching was allowed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The first player I thought of would be affected by the no coaching rule is Alcaraz.

I think the rule will definitely help the older players, like Nadal and Djokovic, who were around long before coaching was allowed.
Well apparently you need to watch Papa Tsitsipas in action, he has been recently fined at RG for his coaching, and it was about time too.,where coaching is allowed when the player is up the end of the coaching team, he coaches non stop regardless and dosent shut up period!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tomorrow, Novak will practice against Sinner.It will be final test on his knee ahead of Wimbledon.if it goes well, he'll be on the draw for Wimbledon and will play at the tournament.Yesterday, he played set against Tiafoe and won it in the TB 7-5

Reactions: Front242 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well apparently you need to watch Papa Tsitsipas in action, he has been recently fined at RG for his coaching, and it was about time too.,where coaching is allowed when the player is up the end of the coaching team, he coaches non stop regardless and dosent shut up period!
Doesn't have to be either/or. I think PhiEagles makes a good point, that older players are going to have less trouble with that. We've sort of discussed that around here that it's a shame for younger players who've never really had to get the training wheels off, having come up when coaching was allowed.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Doesn't have to be either/or. I think PhiEagles makes a good point, that older players are going to have less trouble with that. We've sort of discussed that around here that it's a shame for younger players who've never really had to get the training wheels off, having come up when coaching was allowed.
Toni used to give Rafa coaching at times if I remember? also Novak coaches barked instructions, granted not as bad as we have seen it happening now?
Still I am against 'coaching at this elite level' period. I never thought I would see the day it was introduced at this level, it is spoon feeding, same goes with the WTA who introduced it first.