2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
These days with a complete knee surgery eg knee replacement surgery, we get the patient up the day after the surgery is performed, before we waited for a few days before getting a patient out of bed, reason being it is better for overall circulation and also the patient responds better than waiting for a few days, then most patients go to a rehab facility for their new knee
Novak's surgery for a small meniscus tear in his knee, only needed key hole surgery , arthroscopic surgery, which only requires day surgery, patients go home on crutches.
We will have to wait to see further news from Novak, his main priority was to play at the Olympic games
Surely, Novak will be getting the Cadillac of all treatments, and I heard he was using something to hasten the recovery. Nadal had some kind of machine that they hooked him up to, in 2009, to help knit the tear in his knee, (which is what he did...no surgery.)

All of that said, I think Wimbledon seems like a risk, esp. with the slippery grass in the first week. TBH, his chances of winning Wimbledon seem slim, by his standards, so, then why play? He seems in the negative on the risk/reward calculation. If he's prioritizing the Olympic Games, and we all know he wants that elusive gold medal, then he should take more time to heal, and go chips all in for that. IMO.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Surely, Novak will be getting the Cadillac of all treatments, and I heard he was using something to hasten the recovery. Nadal had some kind of machine that they hooked him up to, in 2009, to help knit the tear in his knee, (which is what he did...no surgery.)

All of that said, I think Wimbledon seems like a risk, esp. with the slippery grass in the first week. TBH, his chances of winning Wimbledon seem slim, by his standards, so, then why play? He seems in the negative on the risk/reward calculation. If he's prioritizing the Olympic Games, and we all know he wants that elusive gold medal, then he should take more time to heal, and go chips all in for that. IMO.
Yes I posted that news he went to a clinic in Belgrade for a treatment on his knee,;
Look keyhole surgery isnt major surgery, arthroscopic which is a usual treatment for a small tear in his knee, it is day surgery and Novak posted a picture of himself and his team on crutches out side the Eiffel tower after his surgery
Anyway lets see what happens after Monday, to see if he will play Wimbledon, my thoughts he wont

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I posted that news he went to a clinic in Belgrade for a treatment on his knee,;
Look keyhole surgery isnt major surgery, arthroscopic which is a usual treatment for a small tear in his knee, it is day surgery and Novak posted a picture of himself and his team on crutches out side the Eiffel tower after his surgery
Anyway lets see what happens after Monday, to see if he will play Wimbledon, my thoughts he wont
Agreed. The thing with the Olympic Games is that it forces different calculations and choices. If it were "just" Wimbledon, then a rest, if might be worth the risk. But we know that Novak, of all things he is, he's the GOAT of ambition, and he doesn't like holes in his trophy case. He wants that gold medal. And no one is going to catch him anytime soon in terms of Majors, I don't think. He could go for both, but that didn't work out for him at the last Olympics, when he was going for Golden CYGS. He got neither.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed. The thing with the Olympic Games is that it forces different calculations and choices. If it were "just" Wimbledon, then a rest, if might be worth the risk. But we know that Novak, of all things he is, he's the GOAT of ambition, and he doesn't like holes in his trophy case. He wants that gold medal. And no one is going to catch him anytime soon in terms of Majors, I don't think. He could go for both, but that didn't work out for him at the last Olympics, when he was going for Golden CYGS. He got neither.
Well lets look at his form? I mean he hasnt won a title this year, his clay season was poor, who is to say he will win the gold medal at the Olympics?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well lets look at his form? I mean he hasnt won a title this year, his clay season was poor, who is to say he will win the gold medal at the Olympics?
That's why I'm saying he should skip Wimbledon. Focus on the Olympics, if that's what he wants. Bo3 format, and the draws can be very weird.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Agreed. The thing with the Olympic Games is that it forces different calculations and choices. If it were "just" Wimbledon, then a rest, it might be worth the risk. But we know that Novak, of all things he is, he's the GOAT of ambition, and he doesn't like holes in his trophy case. He wants that gold medal. And no one is going to catch him anytime soon in terms of Majors, I don't think. He could go for both, but that didn't work out for him at the last Olympics, when he was going for Golden CYGS. He got neither.

Novak lives for those challenges where we are telling him what he should do! He loves taking it to the limit; hence that silly attempt to complete an OG-CYGS! He was no Spring chicken & had to be under terrible stress building after he won Wimbledon! Flying to Japan to not only fail in snatching GOLD, he lost the Bronze medal as well! Since people hang on every word I say, you'll remember I said "Novak needed someone to defeat Daniil!" Medvedev was the lone player challenging him at the time! Djokovic was forced to do & go that lit'l extra in his tactics to defeat him; even doing regular S & V plays indoors in the Paris final of 2021! IMO, Nole has nothing more to prove! He doesn't have to do anything else to cement his mark and stave off any challenge to his position on the pedestal of GOAT-dom! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Novak's special gift is his ability to be quick, pivot on a dime and sprint endlessly without restrictions. The knee will be impaired and he will not be able to trust it over the next few weeks. Afterwards any activity, the knee is most definitely going to swell which now requires Novak to spend more time trying to recover which cuts into his typical post and pre match preparations. If it was football, of course he could participate almost immediately. Basketball would take a 4 to 6 weeks. Tennis recovery to be at full strength will take a tennis player a bit longer. Who Knows, Novak is one of the top freaks of nature for an athlete EVER, he may recover sooner. For his sake, I hope he can.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak lives for those challenges where we are telling him what he should do! He loves taking it to the limit; hence that silly attempt to complete a OGCYGS! He was no Spring chicken & had to be under terrible stress building after he won Wimbledon! Flying to Japan to not only fail in snatching GOLD, he lost the Bronze medal as well!
He lost that bronze because he didn't want another one. Same in 2012l
Since people hang on every word I say,
Not many, actually.
you'll remember I said "Novak needed someone to defeat Daniil!" Medvedev
I doubt you were alone in this. But Medvedev did exactly what he needed to do, and beat Novak in straights.
IMO, Nole has nothing more to prove! He doesn't have to do anything else to cement his mark and stave off any challenge to his position on the pedestal of GOAT-dom!
He doesn't have much more to prove, which seems to be the reason for his current sink. What is the motivation? After the Olympics, what's left?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He lost that bronze because he didn't want another one. Same in 2012l

Not many, actually.

I doubt you were alone in this. But Medvedev did exactly what he needed to do, and beat Novak in straights.

He doesn't have much more to prove, which seems to be the reason for his current sink. What is the motivation? After the Olympics, what's left?
Monica Puig won the gold medal in Brazil.. I think when its all said and done, Novak be ok if he doesn't have a gold medal for singles once he will look back over his career. 24 GS titles 10 more than Sampras.. what a career!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly I dont think winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics is going to further any players career
It is a added bonus, I have never though tennis should be at the Olympics to begin with
I am certain a player would rather add a GS title to his or her name than a Olympic medal, just my opinion
Historians will look at a players resume when he/she retires, I am certain they will look at how many GS titles they have won to begin with.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Monica Puig won the gold medal in Brazil.. I think when its all said and done, Novak be ok if he doesn't have a gold medal for singles once he will look back over his career. 24 GS titles 10 more than Sampras.. what a career!
Where is Monica Puig now and what did she do after she won the Gold Medal ?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's why I'm saying he should skip Wimbledon. Focus on the Olympics, if that's what he wants. Bo3 format, and the draws can be very weird.
What makes you think skipping Wimbledon will enhance his chances of winning Gold in Paris? his clay record this year is poor, is he suddenly going to find form on clay and win Gold? hmmmm.
I suggest he play a clay tournament like Rafa is doing before the Olympics and other players who are confirmed to play Wimbledon, and wanting a tune up on clay before the Olympics In Paris

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure what point you're making about Monica Puig. What Novak cares about is that Rafa has a gold medal. He still wants what anyone of the Big 3 has. But, yeah, he seems about ready to stop fighting. Note the precipitous drop off this year. The fire in the belly may be gone. And, so is the knee. It will be interesting how much longer he wants to fight. It's already been a great career, indeed.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Where is Monica Puig now and what did she do after she won the Gold Medal ?
That's my point, her resume only has gold medal.she has already been forgotten about. @Moxie I feel whenever we look at the 3 headed GOAT s careers, the GS singles is what will be remembered 20 plus years from now while the gold medals will be nice to have. Just my opinion as a tennis fan but obviously to players of today's generation it means more.

Last edited:
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What makes you think skipping Wimbledon will enhance his chances of winning Gold in Paris? his clay record this year is poor, is he suddenly going to find form on clay and win Gold? hmmmm.
I suggest he play a clay tournament like Rafa is doing before the Olympics and other players who are confirmed to play Wimbledon, and wanting a tune up on clay before the Olympics In Paris
I've already explained it, as far as my opinion goes. I'm not saying he will win the gold in Paris. I'm just saying he increases his chances, if he skips Wimbledon. IMO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure what point you're making about Monica Puig. What Novak cares about is that Rafa has a gold medal. He still wants what anyone of the Big 3 has. But, yeah, he seems about ready to stop fighting. Note the precipitous drop off this year. The fire in the belly may be gone. And, so is the knee. It will be interesting how much longer he wants to fight. It's already been a great career, indeed.
We will have to get El dude to come up w some type of data analytics to rate Rafa's gold medals.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's my point, her resume only has gold medal.she has already been forgotten about. @Moxie I feel whenever we look at the 3 headed GOAT s careers, the GS singles is what will be remembered 20 plus years from now while the gold medals will be nice to have. Just my opinion as a tennis fan but obviously to players of today's generation it means more.
Exactly she was a one hit wonder and the only note to her career was winning gold

Reactions: the AntiPusher