2024 ATP General News

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Whoever figures out the best coach for Rune will be a genius, but he could use a "father figure" like Cahill is for Sinner, and JCF is for Alcaraz. Maybe Lendl could be the kind of Buddha he was for Murray? What about Magnus Norman? He really helped Stan. Is Peter Lundgren retired? He did wonders for head-case Marat Safin.
I think Holger needs a recent champion to listen too

Reactions: nehmeth

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
There are rumors circulating that Rune should get rid of Patrick M, when they have hooked up this time his form hasn't improved at all?
At what point is it about the player and not the coach? I mean let's look at this from right perspective. The coach can only give you the plan or blueprint. You have to buy into it, go on court and execute. Why is it the coach's fault when a player (especially one of Holger's ability) has inconsistent results? Is it the coach's fault he bottled it against Zed at RG?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At what point is it about the player and not the coach? I mean let's look at this from right perspective. The coach can only give you the plan or blueprint. You have to buy into it, go on court and execute. Why is it the coach's fault when a player (especially one of Holger's ability) has inconsistent results? Is it the coach's fault he bottled it against Zed at RG?
Rune is young. Yes, he has to execute, but coaches are there for strategies, and ideally for helping to settle the more volatile. Stan Wawrinka had talent, but I think a lot of us believe that Magnus Norman made him into a Slam winner. Marat Safin was very talented, but I absolutely believe that Peter Lundgren harnessed his demons long enough to get him his 2nd Major. Rune needs a good coach, and not his Type-A mother.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree at the end of the day a coach can only give you say a game plan against a player, it is up to you to execute the game plan or if that is not working adjust your game plan, Rune has the ability to do just that,adjust his game plan, he has that ability.
I also feel Rune has gone through too many coaches, for his young age, a player needs consistency in his team, chopping and changing when things go not as planned to me is not the answer, Rune has to take responsibilities for his defeats, that makes you a better player, and work harder to improve area's of his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Musetti continues to under impress (disappoint). Alex de Minaur is a work horse, tirelessly improving on his craft. Have not been a fan of the young man, but he’s a fighter and doesn’t back down to anyone. He’s growing on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Marcos Giron d Rublev (6) 64 76(5) in Halle. Rublev is not at a good place at the moment, after that sad show at Roland Garros some of his reactions today, weren't better

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Marcos Giron d Rublev (6) 64 76(5) in Halle. Rublev is not at a good place at the moment, after that sad show at Roland Garros some of his reactions today, weren't better
Giron has been having a nice run against some tough opponents.

Musetti showing some fight back in the second set at Queens. It’s good to see. Wondering if he can sustain it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Giron has been having a nice run against some tough opponents.

Musetti showing some fight back in the second set at Queens. It’s good to see. Wondering if he can sustain it.
I have given up on Musetti after that disgraceful showing against Novak on clay, until he decides to stop being a Head Case and gets into the gym and work on the physical side of his game I might watch him,
I am watching Sinner v Griekspoor in Halle

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have given up on Musetti after that disgraceful showing against Novak on clay, until he decides to stop being a Head Case and gets into the gym and work on the physical side of his game I might watch him,
I am watching Sinner v Griekspoor in Halle
Watching Arnaldi v. Humbert, two of my favorite youngsters. Wish there were more camera angles on the court, but enjoying them battling nonetheless.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There is an Italian player I can watch Arnaldi :)
Looks like a server‘s duel in Halle. Lot more tennis with Humbert and Matteo. Their first time playing. Matteo has gotten himself in trouble on serve, a few times, but he goes for his shots and is keeping up with the Frenchman in this final set.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A DF on SP for Sinner in the TB, has cost him in the 1st set against Griekspoor and Griekspoor wins the 1st set 76(8)
Sinner will have to take the scenic route now if he wants to win, Griekspoor a late bloomer in tennis is hard to play and a test for any opponent that plays against him

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good Grief I am just SB in Queens looks like the 'head case' Musetti is serving for the match against Alex de Minaur 5-2 in the 3rd set, though he could find a way to 'stuff things up'.
Musetti stays on track and win 16 64 62 over Alex, who I will give a pass to, as he just came from Netherlands tournament, where he won, playing back to back tournaments is not easy

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Its raining in Halle, all outside courts matches have stopped
Sinner v Griekspoor are playing their match under a roof

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Shelton down a set against a young man I’ve only seen once before… Mpetshi Perricard?
Rob,

I watched Ben the other day on grass, you would think his game suits grass to a 'tee' he was terrible,his shot selection was just poor
How many times have we both said he needs a proper coach? his father is not up to the task
BTW Perricord defeated Ben, I am not surprised in the least, 63 76(3) he was a qualifier by the way
Ben just mentally checks out when he is behind in a match.

Last edited: