2024 ATP General News

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There are a lot of questions in here, from both sides, which is fair. They haven't had any time to work on doubles together. And the unspoken with Alcaraz is if he defends his title at Wimbledon, or goes very deep, at the least, which is likely. All indications are that Nadal will skip the grass and focus on the clay for the Olympics. Sad, but wise.

Margaret posed the question on the Rafa fans thread: why not Rafa/Granollers for the doubles? Granollers is a top doubles player. I guess the question is: are they going for the stardust? Or are they going for winning for Spain? Let's see what happens at Wimbledon. Should Alcaraz go out early, he'll have more time to prepare with Rafa to develop the chemistry and strategy.
To tell ya the Truth.. Feli if he is in condition would be better for Rafa to play doubles with because can you imagine having that left handed serve pulling the opponents off the court with Rafa standing at the net.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There's a sale in Specsavers....no player is dumb enough to physically hit an umpire but I see some posters are dumb enough to suggest it. :facepalm:

I guess I missed where Djokovic smashing racquets was squashing ants too ffs.
I don't understand why you feel the need to double-down and support what Zverev did in Mexico, as seen in the prior post. No, he wasn't aiming at the chair umpire's foot, but he got awfully close. These outbursts can go very wrong, which is why their sanctioned. (See: Shapovalov, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Henman, etc.) I asked you before if you think this kind of behavior is appropriate on a tennis court, to which you did not respond. Are you really OK with that behavior?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To tell ya the Truth.. Feli if he is in condition would be better for Rafa to play doubles with because can you imagine having that left handed serve pulling the opponents off the court with Rafa standing at the net.
I believe that Deliciano has finally retired. And Granollers is in top doubles shape.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Feli cannot be considered for Olympics as he is retired, and as I posted earlier on the ATP News, Captain David Ferrer has already nominated his team for the Olympics, Rafa is using his PR to enter the Olympics Granollers is ranked No 2 in the world in doubles BTW

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Why can't Nads just play doubs w/ Charlie at Wimby? This way they can start to form some kind of partnership and Chuck gets much needed court time to normalize his serve, volleys and returns.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why can't Nads just play doubs w/ Charlie at Wimby? This way they can start to form some kind of partnership and Chuck gets much needed court time to normalize his serve, volleys and returns.
Because that would mean Nadal playing on grass, and the switch and switch back is a decision he's already deciding his body can't make. I don't think that's an option.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Because that would mean Nadal playing on grass, and the switch and switch back is a decision he's already deciding his body can't make. I don't think that's an option.
Carlos and Rafa could play doubles together at the Hamburg tournament, a lot of players are playing that tournament to get more clay court tennis before the Olympics, that is one option

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlos and Rafa could play doubles together at the Hamburg tournament, a lot of players are playing that tournament to get more clay court tennis before the Olympics, that is one option
Right, but if you look at AP's article above, Hamburg starts the week after Wimbledon, I think, which is my point about timing being complicated.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Right, but if you look at AP's article above, Hamburg starts the week after Wimbledon, I think, which is my point about timing being complicated.
That is where is would be complicated for Alcaraz, seeing he is the defending champion at Wimby, there are other clay tournaments as well, point being all close after Wimby I did a post of all some of the top players who have entered clay tournaments wanting clay practice before Olympics
It was Alcaraz who initially brought up the notion of playing doubles with Rafa at the Olympics, personally speaking they should have given this more thought as they have had no practice together, a bit late now, I am afraid
Quite frankly I think Spain should have picked a experienced doubles team.
Granollers is a experienced doubles player currently at No 2 in the world been as high as No 1 in the world, I would have picked Granollers and Rafa as a doubles team. Alcaraz playing singles.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic opted for accelerated treatment at the Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, Belgrade.Djokovic was seen walking without crutches, with a slight limp. He arrived yesterday at the clinic at 8.30am, and the treatment lasted 70 minutes.He now has at least 3 weeks to recover and is expected to miss Wimbledon, but hopefully compete at the Olympics, which has after all been his main goal.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'd like to see Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic play at the Olympics, preferrably in the Gold Medal match (with, of course, Nadal winning). That would give closure to the Big 3 era of tennis, and perhaps the GOAT argument.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini beat Shapo 6-4, 6-4 based on one break each set. He played better than 2 days ago. The on-court interviewer said that on grass, when he made the QFs, he made the SF or better. Ah, man, you never curse an Italian like this. He responded only by saying, "If I were in Italy, I would do something now, for good luck, but I can't here." I think he meant touch his balls, which counteracts the bad luck from the comment. I don't think he meant the sign of the horn, but that works, too. :lol6:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This news was also posted on the Rafa Nadal post,

Rafa Nadal will play Bastad, Sweden, accepted a wild card, clay tournament, more preparation for the Olympics, Rafa hasnt played there in 19 years, he won the tournament in 2005
I think it is a good idea he has been practicing on clay at his academy recently.
That also poses the question, will Alcaraz also play Bastad, to get some doubles practice in with Rafa for the Olympics?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting matches in Stuttgart tomorrow:

Tiafoe v. Draper
Nakashima v. Struff
Berrettini v. Duckworth
Musetti v Bublik

@Front242: I know you're championing Struff. I've got Berrettini. Side wager?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting matches in Stuttgart tomorrow:

Tiafoe v. Draper
Nakashima v. Struff
Berrettini v. Duckworth
Musetti v Bublik

@Front242: I know you're championing Struff. I've got Berrettini. Side wager?
Bets off, Front. Struff had to pull out due to illness, and Nakashima gets the W via walkover. Oh, well, at least it's not an injury.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bublik retires in his match against Mussetti 64 16 at Stuttgart
Mussetti will play Berrettini in the SFs
Jack Draper will play Brad Nakasjima in the 2nd SF

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bublik retires in his match against Mussetti 64 16 at Stuttgart
Mussetti will play Berrettini in the SFs
Jack Draper will play Brad Nakasjima in the 2nd SF
Great opportunity for Berrettini, who seems to be improving by rounds, getting his legs back on grass, and his game back. A decent draw at Wimbledon could do wonders for his ranking. Can he get a wc?

Reactions: Fiero425