2024 ATP General News

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

As a Jannik Sinner fan, this was awesome and surprised me in a tearful way.

All those heartbreak losses, injuries and mental stress during matches were great learning experiences for him! To be honest, I am still surprised that he has become the number 1 player this quickly. But it just shows you that if you work really hard on your craft, you can be in the top, so congratulations Jannik Sinner!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

All those heartbreak losses, injuries and mental stress during matches were great learning experiences for him! To be honest, I am still surprised that he has become the number 1 player this quickly. But it just shows you that if you work really hard on your craft, you can be in the top, so congratulations Jannik Sinner!

I love that video! In the past 20 years, there have only been 7 different #1 players. I think he also has a solid shot at YE #1.

Reactions: kskate2

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
@Federberg: I wanted to say one more thing about these accusations, and possible motivations. You said you used to wonder, "Why would anyone make something like that up?" Front likes the gold digger answer, but I find that overly-simple, or a bit 1950's, esp. given the lack of any evidence that they got paid off, or even asked for money. (Though how would we really know?) Another possibility, which I don't think has come up around here, is vindictiveness. It is certain that the baby-mama's accusation was from well-after they were split. I don't really know the timeline of the other, nor who broke up with whom. But it's very possible that the women were both dumped. And, while this is a bit sexist on my part, in my many years on this planet, I would say that women can be the more vengeful after a breakup. (Yes, that's anecdotal. But I have lots of male friends, and I have a brother who went through a divorce with a child. It can get real ugly, esp. with children involved. And men can get the short end of the stick, as the mother tends to get preference, and holds the cards.) And there is something to the old adage of "Hell hath no fury...etc." Sascha isn't just rich, he's famous. Want revenge? Smear him publicly. One woman did it, and another woman decides to pile on. It could happen that way. I mean, if you want to be fair and say, "Just because there's smoke doesn't mean there's fire." Just because I don't find his public persona particularly warm and fuzzy, it doesn't mean he beats up on his girlfriends.

I buy revenge over gold digging, when I look for a way to think it might be invented. Which I have. I just don't think I ever mentioned this angle. As I said, I've tried to stay away from it.
1000% agree!

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

No reason to be surprised. He has worked incredibly hard and he was in complete control of his ascension to the ranking. It's his previous wins over Djoke that gave him the confidence that he could win in Aus. Winning breeds winning as evidenced by his streak earlier this year.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I love that video! In the past 20 years, there have only been 7 different #1 players. I think he also has a solid shot at YE #1.
I noticed a few people missing: Pete, Nads, Charlie, Rios, Djoke

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No reason to be surprised. He has worked incredibly hard and he was in complete control of his ascension to the ranking. It's his previous wins over Djoke that gave him the confidence that he could win in Aus. Winning breeds winning as evidenced by his streak earlier this year.
I haven't checked, but I think Sinner has the best win/loss record this year. He hasn't lost that much.

Reactions: kskate2

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't checked, but I think Sinner has the best win/loss record this year. He hasn't lost that much.
You are correct, Moxie. His 3 losses this season were against the eventual champions (Alcaraz 2x, and Tsitsipas). And in all of those losses, it went to a deciding set. So, beating Sinner in these days is a tall task in which Alcaraz and Tsitsipas have done well.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The reason I am surprised with how quickly he has become number 1 in the world is because I was more focused on the journey and the process than anything. Obviously, winning titles are great feeling, but for Sinner, it is really about the process of becoming the best tennis player you can be.

And the great part is that he won’t change just because he has become world no. 1 player. He will still think about the process and journey on how to be a better tennis player. And that’s the exciting part!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The reason I am surprised with how quickly he has become number 1 in the world is because I was more focused on the journey and the process than anything. Obviously, winning titles are great feeling, but for Sinner, it is really about the process of becoming the best tennis player you can be.

And the great part is that he won’t change just because he has become world no. 1 player. He will still think about the process and journey on how to be a better tennis player. And that’s the exciting part!
Agree, Jannik since his junior days has always been grounded, he left home at age 14 go join the Piatti Tennis Academy, so in a lot of ways he also had to be self reliant, he has a good team around him, he knows that he has to keep working hard in order to become the best player that he can, he has always dreamt of being the No 1 ranked player,like most players, though in saying that he dosent take the No 1 ranking for granted
Adding Darren Cahill to his team has been most beneficial, Cahill a great tactician, has also coached players like Agassi, Hewitt, Halep to the No 1 ranking

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
In fairness to Zverev, I think that's what he did. When she brought the charges, he was ordered last winter to pay something over 400K euros. So, he contested it, which brings the consequence of a trial, which was 10 days ago. The plaintiff was interviewed by the judge and decided to drop the charge, or settle for what the court said. I don't know that he had an option to continue with the trial, if she withdrew. What I don't understand, because I know nothing about German law, and I doubt anyone here does, why he pays a fine if the court says there is no guilty verdict to be entered against him. He will have no criminal record, is what I read. In the US, if the state drops the case, you walk away. If you're guilty, you can be ordered to pay fines and court costs, but this hybrid is weird to me.

As to your comment above, about violence against men not translating to violence against women, did you make that up? Because it's not supported that I can find, and it doesn't really make logical sense. IMO, if you have tenuous control over violent impulses in one situation, you're more likely to be the same in another. That video above is after a friggin' doubles match in Mexico, which presumably a top 5-10 player plays for practice and pocket change. The incident got him thrown out of the tournament, including singles. I've never judged his private life here, because what do I know? But I know what I've seen from him on the tennis court, and that I can judge him on.
Djokovic smashes tons of racquets. Do you think he's a wife beater? It's a tennis racquet and points lost due to bad officiating or poor play. It means sfa as regards how these guys react during domestic arguments so actually, no, it's completely inaccurate to judge anyone on a tennis match...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Struff v Cobolli at the Stuttgart Boss Open might be a good one today. Haven't looked at the draw and Cobolli is decent on clay but gotta side with the home player and Struff should be fired up. 2nd title perhaps on the way? Mad to think he's only won just one title.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Safin is busy playing bed politics!!!
Heck,, with those lady killer good looks wouldn't you do the same! Until Roger became Fed, Safin was the most naturally gifted tennis player I seen even for a Big man. I have never seen anyone take the racket our of Roger's and Novak's hand like he did.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic smashes tons of racquets. Do you think he's a wife beater? It's a tennis racquet and points lost due to bad officiating or poor play. It means sfa as regards how these guys react during domestic arguments so actually, no, it's completely inaccurate to judge anyone on a tennis match...
I'm sorry you didn't read the post where I clarified my thoughts for Federberg. I was merely saying I only judge on-court behavior that I can see, which I have said in at least 3 posts above. Try to read more carefully. As in when you totally missed that that money didn't go to the woman, but to the State and charity...in the article that you yourself posted.