2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Arthur Fils won't keep working with Sergi Bruguera after a disappointing first half of the season.
" We therefore made a decision with my team to continue with Sebastien Grosjean as tennis coach and Lapo Becherini as physical trainer.
I wish to thank Sergi".

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Young João Fonseca beats Kyle Edmund 6x2 6x1 in a grass challenger, his first professional match on grass (has 9 wins and 1 loss in his junior career).

At first glance his game looks perfect for grass.

Reactions: Moxie and El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Set 1 winners to ufes:
Zverev 5/17
Minaur 6/15

Ugly match
Rob,

You are on the wrong post, this is ATP News Post, go to the Mens RG post
Agree it is an ugly match I am going for a run, I will check the scores later
BTW the womens QF matches were terrific may I say!

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Questions for the group about about Djokovic's meniscus tear: I've only seen some stuff on line.

* Did Nole make a mistake getting medicated and going 5 sets v. Cerundolo? (I didn't watch that match, just reading commentary.)

* Over-use injury, or is someone blaming the French Open and the changes in surface, due to weather?

* Is Wimbledon out? It seems so.

* Play the OG for one last chance at the gold, or save the knee?

I've been out of the loop, so curious.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Questions for the group about about Djokovic's meniscus tear: I've only seen some stuff on line.

* Did Nole make a mistake getting medicated and going 5 sets v. Cerundolo? (I didn't watch that match, just reading commentary.)

* Over-use injury, or is someone blaming the French Open and the changes in surface, due to weather?

I've been out of the loop, so curious.
From what I read today, Novak was pictured with his team and wife outside the Eiffel Tower after surgery, on crutches at present which is normal,
It is only a 'partial tear' which is good news.
Novak apparently has had pain in the news for a little while, falling over on the clay would not helped his cause, stretched out wide and falling over on clay again not help his cause.
Novak should have retired in his match against Cerundolo he played on, it was his call, playing 2 5 sets matches again with knee pain to me is insane, epsecially with Wimby and Olympics around the corner. He never looked good in the clay season, even if he decided to play on he would have lost with stronger opposition

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
From what I read today, Novak was pictured with his team and wife outside the Eiffel Tower after surgery, on crutches at present which is normal,
It is only a 'partial tear' which is good news.
Novak apparently has had pain in the news for a little while, falling over on the clay would not helped his cause, stretched out wide and falling over on clay again not help his cause.
Novak should have retired in his match against Cerundolo he played on, it was his call, playing 2 5 sets matches again with knee pain to me is insane, epsecially with Wimby and Olympics around the corner. He never looked good in the clay season, even if he decided to play on he would have lost with stronger opposition
For sure. He knew has wasn't beating any of the remaining players, frankly with or without a gammy knee. Not the way he's been playing lately.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I don't think it makes huge difference at the end. These are top athletes, they know their bodies and how far and for how long is ok to push and what level of pain is acceptable.
Probably just age, but the courts were not perfect either. He says against Musetti was too much clay and against Cerundolo too little clay on the court.
I think so too.
I think he will play, he has enough time to prepare. Is he going to be good? I don't know, but he will not miss this chance. Another problem is the competition. He has tons of guys now who can beat him in OG, but for him it's only gold that counts. The rest of the medals is all rubbish in his eyes. Just a small list of guys who can beat him in BO3 on clay even if his game is on good level: Alcaraz, Sinner, Nadal, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Ruud, Rune...could also get Struff in R1 :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Struff in round 1 will be a rough one for anyone. PS: Damn you, De Manure :mad:
I thought of you when Don mentioned your boy Struff as a tough first round. Novak was terribly unlucky to get Del Potro as his first round at the Rio games. If he's coming back from knee surgery and wants to win the gold medal in Paris, he's probably going to need a good draw.

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought of you when Don mentioned your boy Struff as a tough first round. Novak was terribly unlucky to get Del Potro as his first round at the Rio games. If he's coming back from knee surgery and wants to win the gold medal in Paris, he's probably going to need a good draw.
Wow yeah, I totally forgot that was his first match against Del Potro lol. That was brutal alright. Don't think he has a prayer of gold tbh.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow yeah, I totally forgot that was his first match against Del Potro lol. That was brutal alright. Don't think he has a prayer of gold tbh.
Neither do I. While a lot of people thought he was foolish to play in Tokyo 2021 when he was chasing the CYGS, it was on hard courts. Nadal didn't go, and I think Roger was basically retired by then. It was just against the younger field. And still, he came up short. I don't see him winning it on clay with a gimpy knee, especially given the year he's having.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to the Roland Garros Mens Doubles champions Pavic/Arevalo d Bolelli/Vavassori 75 63
Happy for Mate Pavic who clearly was the best player out there today and also he has the doubles career Golden Slam, well done Pavic
No cigar as yet for my Italians, who were in ladies singles final ( Paolini) Sinner SF in the mens singles,
I am looking at you Jasmine Paolini to win the Ladies Doubles tomorrow Italy Forza!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not a fan of Zverev, but the narrative of him choking is overblown. If he was truly a choker, he would not be in this final because he would have not beaten Nadal in the first round, let alone pull out those tight matches against Griekspoor and Rune. Zverev has also won an Olympic singles gold and several Masters. Chokers do not accomplish that. I believe that Zverev being a horrible person off the court (the reason why I can never be a fan of his) makes it hard for him to shed negative labels. Let's face it, if anyone other player went through the same run as Zverev, nobody would be calling that player a choker.
Well, his charges were dropped.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some grass news,
Andy and Jamie Murray have decided this weekend to go ahead with an appearance in the doubles draw at Wimbledon.It will be the first Grand Slam they're ever played together ( I would imagine they will play a pre grass tournament before Wimbledon)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I see that Zverev is the top seed in the Boss Open. I wonder if he will withdraw after his 5 set match in the final at RG