2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The BBC decided to sign Nick Kyrgios as a commentator for the upcoming Wimbledon, and this decision is now facing major backlash. The Guardian recalls Kyrgio's long list of on court issues and verbal abuse that has earned Kyrgios the title of the most fined player in tennis history!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The BBC decided to sign Nick Kyrgios as a commentator for the upcoming Wimbledon, and this decision is now facing major backlash. The Guardian recalls Kyrgio's long list of on court issues and verbal abuse that has earned Kyrgios the title of the most fined player in tennis history!
Surprised it isn't Murray tbh. Mouth like a toilet. I'm not surprised really but his fines have been completely disproportionate and they know it too.

The ATP are clowns. They make the rules up as they go along and do whatever they want. This prick didn't even apologize. No disqualification 'cos his name isn't Djokovic.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Surprised it isn't Murray tbh. Mouth like a toilet. I'm not surprised really but his fines have been completely disproportionate and they know it too.

The ATP are clowns. They make the rules up as they go along and do whatever they want. This prick didn't even apologize. No disqualification 'cos his name isn't Djokovic.

Well it also confirms Nick's tennis career has ended, I thought he would want to play at Wimbledon this year his favorite tournament

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well it also confirms Nick's tennis career has ended, I thought he would want to play at Wimbledon this year his favorite tournament
Yeah I went for a long walk earlier and was actually thinking of Kyrgios and didn't bother Googling but was wondering if he was coming back for Wimbledon. In my head I was likening an ageing top player with today's Zverev v Nadal outcome to frankly ANY top player playing eg a healthy Kyrgios at Wimbledon in round 1. It's just not the kind of match anyone wants right away.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I've never thought about Nick Kyrgios while on a walk.
Only 'cos I was reading comments on Nadal v Zverev (couldn't watch it 'cos of work) and was thinking of grass court season.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Curious to know what the video is of. It won't play in my country, it says.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Curious to know what the video is of. It won't play in my country, it says.
Atmane hit a ball into the crowd and it hit a woman on the knee but probably because he's French and not Djokovic, he wasn't disqualified. It's in the rules that if someone gets hit you have to be automatically disqualified.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Atmane hit a ball into the crowd and it hit a woman on the knee but probably because he's French and not Djokovic, he wasn't disqualified. It's in the rules that if someone gets hit you have to be automatically disqualified.
The only video I'm able to see doesn't really show much, but I agree...if you hit the ball in anger, and strike someone, it's borderline for default. A bit of a sting on the knee, however, is not the same as a direct strike to the neck. That woman got hurt. Stop acting like the only person who has been defaulted is Djokovic. Just because he's your fellow-traveler in vaccination skepticism.

As to Murray swearing, and Kyrios tanking matches, and don't think it's even close.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The only video I'm able to see doesn't really show much, but I agree...if you hit the ball in anger, and strike someone, it's borderline for default. A bit of a sting on the knee, however, is not the same as a direct strike to the neck. That woman got hurt. Stop acting like the only person who has been defaulted is Djokovic. Just because he's your fellow-traveler in vaccination skepticism.

As to Murray swearing, and Kyrios tanking matches, and don't think it's even close.
Yeah it doesn't show much at all but the rules are the rules. Henman was disqualified also for hitting someone. The rules were clearly not enforced 'cos he was French and they didn't want to face an angry mob. The French crowd are bad enough as it is. Pretty lame to mention vaccination skepticism btw. It's yesterday's news that the skeptics were not skeptics at all but proven 100% correct. The only vaccine that worked was Omicron...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah it doesn't show much at all but the rules are the rules. Henman was disqualified also for hitting someone. The rules were clearly not enforced 'cos he was French and they didn't want to face an angry mob. The French crowd are bad enough as it is. Pretty lame to mention vaccination skepticism btw. It's yesterday's news that the skeptics were not skeptics at all but proven 100% correct. The only vaccine that worked was Omicron...
If it doesn't show much, it's hard to get outraged about it. You've just decided why the tournament director and umpire made the decision they did. Without enough evidence, I think that's lame.

If it's not vaccination skepticism, then what makes you such a champion of Novak and his DF at the USO? You slag him around here all the time as a doper. A reminder that the ATP doesn't govern Majors, which is the tournament that Djokovic was defaulted out of. And tell me, if he injured a woman, in a shot hit out of anger, why should he not have been defaulted?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If it doesn't show much, it's hard to get outraged about it. You've just decided why the tournament director and umpire made the decision they did. Without enough evidence, I think that's lame.

If it's not vaccination skepticism, then what makes you such a champion of Novak and his DF at the USO? You slag him around here all the time as a doper. A reminder that the ATP doesn't govern Majors, which is the tournament that Djokovic was defaulted out of. And tell me, if he injured a woman, in a shot hit out of anger, why should he not have been defaulted?
When did I say Djokovic shouldn't have been defaulted? I said Atmane wasn't and he also hit someone. If you check the rules, you'll see you're meant to be automatically disqualified for hitting someone with the ball in anger. This has nothing to so with what I think of his shady bottle. It's about the rules being bent for a French player and enforced equally across the board.

Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When did I say Djokovic shouldn't have been defaulted? I said Atmane wasn't and he also hit someone. If you check the rules, you'll see you're meant to be automatically disqualified for hitting someone with the ball in anger. This has nothing to so with what I think of his shady bottle. It's about the rules being bent for a French player and enforced equally across the board.
The incident with Altmane was hushed up and one of the tennis journalists made comment on it later in the day yesterday and I watched a replay
Regardless of being French and playing in front of your home crowd, the rule states you are automatically disqualified accident or not.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just read on social media an apology from Altmane regarding hitting the ball towards a female fan
From what I was reading a lot of it was in French, he will try/ also through his manager to find the lady and apologize to her in person? good luck with that idea.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You said above, "No default because his name wasn't Djokovic." This implied that you disagreed with it. Not that the rules were unequally applied. As IF a top player would get shoddier treatment than a no-name. I'm pretty sure that's not true. Even far from it. You posted a video that is not very informational, and make an equivalency with Novak's situation. It's hard not to think that you didn't agree with the call. If you did, all good.

If you want to talk about tennis not enforcing rules equally, I am right there with you. But there are different governing bodies...ITF for the Majors, ATP for other men's events.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The ATP250 event in Zhuhai has just been announced to be moved to Hangzhou.
Hangzhou is actually the hometwon f Wu and Yibing.The top 3 Chinese men's players all have home tournaments now.
ZZZ Shanghai Masters and Jerry Shang for China in Beijing

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yannick Noah will succeed Bjorn Borg as Team Europe Captain for the Laver Cup from 2025 in San Francisco
Noah will attend the years Laver Cup to prepare for his new role.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just read on social media an apology from Altmane regarding hitting the ball towards a female fan
From what I was reading a lot of it was in French, he will try/ also through his manager to find the lady and apologize to her in person? good luck with that idea.
No doubt backlash from social media is the only reason 'cos he didn't seem to give a shit when it happened...

Can't stand this modern social media backtracking in hindsight.