2024 ATP General News

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don Fabio,

Novak has been out of sorts all year, got rid of his team, have you any idea why his form is lacking?
Lack of trying and motivation. He is probably training less, not like a no.1, thinking he will magically get in the zone. Maybe he also evaluated his chances and realized he is too old for RG clay grind. He could get in good form by Wimbledon and then use that momentum for OG. We'll see.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Why is Novak shaking like this? We've seen it for the last few years, it comes and goes. Anxiety attack or what?

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, you're being a realist, and I don't disagree. But, if you're Ruud, and you care about your career, you know that you've made the last 2 finals at RG, and that this year is more wide-open than ever. Why NOT you, this year? Unless you needlessly play the week before the French Open, like an idiot.
Looks like it is normal for him to play week before RG. He is in a way like Thiem who earlier in his career used to play tons of 250s, Dominic was literally everywhere.

Anyway, I had to check this and Ruud won Geneva two times 2021 and 2022. In 2022 he reached RG final. The only explanation for why he uses 250s week before RG is to build confidence. He doesn't seem to have fitness issues.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Why is Novak shaking like this? We've seen it for the last few years, it comes and goes. Anxiety attack or what?

Obviously he's taking stuff way stronger than pre-workouts or his camp wouldn't be hiding it from the camera and passing it to him in matches, but I just searched for this to give you an example.

"Of course, you can also choose pre-workout supplements without any caffeine. You'll find caffeine in most pre-workout supplements, but this stimulant can cause jitteriness, anxiety, and an increased heart rate. If you experience side effects, try a smaller dose to see how your body reacts"

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you guys watching the biggest underdog Perricard in recent tennis history. This guy hasn't won a ATP match this year before this week..

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you guys watching the biggest underdog Perricard in recent tennis history. This guy hasn't won a ATP match this year before this week..
Started watching just after your post. Great win for him. Thought he was gonna blow his chance after the Djokovic-esque botched overhead.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Started watching just after your post. Great win for him. Thought he was gonna blow his chance after the Djokovic-esque botched overhead.
Then missed a put away volley. Brave play from the kid to win at the end. Commentator says he is from Lyon, what a story. Big serve (220km/h), big forehand, goes to net a lot. Good recipe for Wimbledon. 1 handed BH is not dead yet.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Sir, Fronty the young Frenchie was a brick at the net.. nerves are merciless.

Reactions: Front242

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Then missed a put away volley. Brave play from the kid to win at the end. Commentator says he is from Lyon, what a story. Big serve (220km/h), big forehand, goes to net a lot. Good recipe for Wimbledon. 1 handed BH is not dead yet.
Beautiful one hand bh.. @don_fabio @Front242 good point that he went big on his second serve..he is a dangerous person to play against because he has nothing to loose..he plays Obi Wan Kenobi or as our beloved Keli @kskate2 name him McFly. David Goffin who he defeated last year at RG. First round back to back .. another David vs Goliath

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had computer troubles and watched the young Frenchman win his first ATP title, nice one handed bhand
BTW Lyon will disappear from the calendar next year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud pulls double duty to win his 3rd ATP250 title in Geneva
Ruud d Cobolli 16 61 76(4) in a SF match, which was suspended yesterday due to rain and then with rest, had to return and play the final against Machac which he defeated 75 63

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched Andy Roddick's commentary show with Jon Wertheim. Roddick promised not to look at the draw ahead, and they'd go through it live. You should have seen his face when he saw Nadal v. Zverev! He was completely disheveled. He couldn't even say out loud that he'd pick Zverev in that match. Wertheim, on the other hand, picked Nadal to win it, and with that, get to the SF. Roddick said he'd never hoped more that he'd be wrong. Wertheim mentioned memories of their last meeting as a potential factor, (which I said a couple of days ago, but mostly as a joke.) He also mentioned that there will be a trial starting next Friday in Germany against Zverev, on a domestic violence charge. This I did not know. He doesn't have to be there. It may or may not weigh on his mind or be a distraction for him.

Anyway, Andy picked Sinner to beat Novak in the final. Wertheim picked Alcaraz to beat Novak in the final.
This is Zverev's 2nd domestic violence charge Moxie, correct he dosent have to be there, some jounalists have said he should have been suspended waiting the outcome of the trial, though innocent till proven guilty I guess, of course Zverev denies the charges

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is Zverev's 2nd domestic violence charge Moxie, correct he dosent have to be there, some jounalists have said he should have been suspended waiting the outcome of the trial, though innocent till proven guilty I guess, of course Zverev denies the charges
Roddick didn't say much, but he said he was holding his tongue until after the judgement. Wertheim clearly had some opinions, but was also trying to wait until judgement, but they made it fairly clear that they're....well, not in "camp Zverev" on this, it seems safe to say.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Roddick didn't say much, but he said he was holding his tongue until after the judgement. Wertheim clearly had some opinions, but was also trying to wait until judgement, but they made it fairly clear that they're....well, not in "camp Zverev" on this, it seems safe to say.
Who knows really. Nikoloz Basilashvili was cleared of his lashing charges. A lot of gold diggers out there and Zverev has a lot of money. I'm inclined to think it's bs as it hasn't affected his play at all.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm posting this here because it was mentioned in the Rafa Fans thread, tangentially, and now @Front242 wants to discuss. Ii am not a fan of Zverev, and I don't want to discuss it on the Rafa Fans thread.

Zverev has a trial beginning this coming Friday in Germany on one of his domestic violence charges.

Front says he's inclined to disbelieve it, because there are a lot of "gold diggers" out there. And also, he doesn't think it has affected his play. I've been staying out of this one, but I will say this to Front's points above: a) both of the women that accused him were long-term girlfriends. You get more money staying in, than getting out and accusing. Also, the one involved in the trial of this week is the mother of his child, so she has leverage, anyway. I can't tell that either has sued him for money, so the gold digging comment isn't really well-thought out. As to b) that it doesn't affect his play. I think he'd need a conscience for that, and he doesn't seem to have have one. Remember how, after the Adria tour in June 2020 when Zverev didn't get covid, but promised to isolate, since he'd been exposed, then was seen on video out to brunch with a gang of people and unmasked? Whatever you think of Covid, that's not what he promised, publicly, to do.

I have no idea what goes on in his personal life, but I do believe he has anger issues. Remember this? Pretty violent outburst upon the loss of a mere doubles match.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm posting this here because it was mentioned in the Rafa Fans thread, tangentially, and now @Front242 wants to discuss. Ii am not a fan of Zverev, and I don't want to discuss it on the Rafa Fans thread.

Zverev has a trial beginning this coming Friday in Germany on one of his domestic violence charges.

Front says he's inclined to disbelieve it, because there are a lot of "gold diggers" out there. And also, he doesn't think it has affected his play. I've been staying out of this one, but I will say this to Front's points above: a) both of the women that accused him were long-term girlfriends. You get more money staying in, than getting out and accusing. Also, the one involved in the trial of this week is the mother of his child, so she has leverage, anyway. I can't tell that either has sued him for money, so the gold digging comment isn't really well-thought out. As to b) that it doesn't affect his play. I think he'd need a conscience for that, and he doesn't seem to have have one. Remember how, after the Adria tour in June 2020 when Zverev didn't get covid, but promised to isolate, since he'd been exposed, then was seen on video out to brunch with a gang of people and unmasked? Whatever you think of Covid, that's not what he promised, publicly, to do.

I have no idea what goes on in his personal like, but I do believe he has anger issues. Remember this? Pretty violent outburst upon the loss of a mere doubles match.

This is his 2nd domestic violence charge? quite frankly there has to be some substance behind it
Yes Zverev does have a temper as we witnessed in that incident in Mexico? to me he should have been suspended for awhile off the tour, though the Weak and Spineless ATP let him off the hook he came on social media and said he was sorry? end of story. No I have never been a fan, he is way too entitled in my opinion.Innocent until proven guilty still it does raise questions regarding his temper as he displayed in that incident against the umpire

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Rafa says his participation in Wimbledon this year 'looks difficult honestly" for me now I cant confirm whats going on, but for me now looks difficult to make a transition to grass having Olympics again on clay".

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Rafa says his participation in Wimbledon this year 'looks difficult honestly" for me now I cant confirm whats going on, but for me now looks difficult to make a transition to grass having Olympics again on clay".

My guess is that he'll skip Wimbledon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play Hamburg or one of the late clay ATP 250s in preparation for the Olympics. After that, well, we'll see. If he's playing well, then I could see him play Canada and the US Open.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
My guess is that he'll skip Wimbledon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play Hamburg or one of the late clay ATP 250s in preparation for the Olympics. After that, well, we'll see. If he's playing well, then I could see him play Canada and the US Open.
I agree he will skip Wimbledon, at this stage too much of a transition for Rafa grass then coming back to clay.
I dont think he has ruled out Canada or USO, it will all depend I feel how he and his body is feeling/ and or holding up