2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Geneva SFs set,

Djokovic vs Machac
Ruud vs Cobolli I must say so far I have been impressed with my Italian youngster Cobolli
( If Ruud and Djokovic meet in the final, it could be a projected QF meeting at RG)
Here's a reason for Novak to call it a day before the final: besides being now 37, and recovery issues, let's say he does meet Ruud in the final. At this level, Ruud could cap him, giving him confidence for RG, should the seeds hold in their quarter. It's a risk to play him in the final, for the reason of rest, and of giving over confidence. Not counting out Cobolli yet, since you say he's playing well. Just a theory.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's a reason for Novak to call it a day before the final: besides being now 37, and recovery issues, let's say he does meet Ruud in the final. At this level, Ruud could cap him, giving him confidence for RG, should the seeds hold in their quarter. It's a risk to play him in the final, for the reason of rest, and of giving over confidence. Not counting out Cobolli yet, since you say he's playing well. Just a theory.
Ruud needed 3 sets today against Baez who can play on clay, and I must say Cobolli has been playing well so far in this tournament
I would be suprised if Novak calls it a day before the final, though I take your points with age and recovery
Novak being in the top half of the draw at RG, wont begin his first round match Monday/Tuesday

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ruud needed 3 sets today against Baez who can play on clay, and I must say Cobolli has been playing well so far in this tournament
I would be suprised if Novak calls it a day before the final, though I take your points with age and recovery
Novak being in the top half of the draw at RG, wont begin his first round match Monday/Tuesday
if he keeps improving, round to round, there are reasons to stay in: confidence, and form.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Novak is setting up his escape from Geneva. He seems not to feel well, though it's early in the match. Signaling shakiness to his "camp." Anyway, had the early break v. Machac, now just gave it back.

EDIT: They show his hand shaking as he drinks at the changeover, rather violently, and says he's taken the ice towel at every changeover...and it's 64 degrees in Geneva, which is pretty cool.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It only makes sense Mox, no need for a serious contender should be playing this close to a slam. He needs to get over to RG and start getting acclimated to the conditions, not spin his wheels in a 250 that doesn't bear much fruit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It only makes sense Mox, no need for a serious contender should be playing this close to a slam. He needs to get over to RG and start getting acclimated to the conditions, not spin his wheels in a 250 that doesn't bear much fruit.
We know he's a good actor, but he's certainly putting on a performance here, if that's what it is. He had the tournament doctor out and the tournament trainer after he lost the first set, got some supplements, painkillers, whatever. They took his pulse.

I agree that he would do well to bail out and get to Paris, though his draw looks so nice, he doesn't really need the prep. And if this is the strategy, to play sick, it's a good one...you can withdraw, but no injury. If he really IS sick, he should recover in time for Paris, or, anyway, he could play sick through the first week, with that draw he got.

• Haha

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Still having some weird balance issues, though, so I think we can say it wasn't the water bottle.
There's a video on YouTube of him wobbling all over the place so that's nothing new. Probably they got the dosage wrong on his jungle juice and he's high as a kite. Often massive bug eyes too.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We know he's a good actor, but he's certainly putting on a performance here, if that's what it is. He had the tournament doctor out and the tournament trainer after he lost the first set, got some supplements, painkillers, whatever. They took his pulse.

I agree that he would do well to bail out and get to Paris, though his draw looks so nice, he doesn't really need the prep. And if this is the strategy, to play sick, it's a good one...you can withdraw, but no injury. If he really IS sick, he should recover in time for Paris, or, anyway, he could play sick through the first week, with that draw he got.
You don't think Herbert and the French crowd will be a small challenge for him? If he was in form, I would say Pierre will get wiped off the court, but Djoke has no titles coming into this slam.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don't think Herbert and the French crowd will be a small challenge for him? If he was in form, I would say Pierre will get wiped off the court, but Djoke has no titles coming into this slam.
I do not. He's not THAT out of form.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Djoke goes down to Machac 6-1 in the decider. He got 3 matches, a free cake and birthday celebration. That's enough, he can take the hopper over to Paris and get out of dodge.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don't think he's out of form? I know he's a master at playing possum, but he isn't that close to form either.
If he wasn't faking it today, to bow out of Geneva, then he's in trouble. But you seem to agree with me that this was a ruse to bow out. So, no, if that's the case, I think he draw is manageable, even at C-game. His form is up and down, so he'll get past most of those guys.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW, just caught a glimpse of that Mpetchi Perricard, winning the first set over Bublik. Looks pretty good. Typical stylish, athletic French player, but hopefully with some fire in the belly.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don't think he's out of form? I know he's a master at playing possum, but he isn't that close to form either.
I don't think he has it in him to win RG this year. He just doesn't look hungry enough, no emotions on the court, nothing, just flat. Last time he showed some will to win was in MC, where he fought well, but that was more than a month ago.

Now we are waiting for "Grand Slam" Djoker to show up, but I'm not sure it will happen. At this point he could as well lose early despite having an easy draw on paper. Opponents see him now and they won't be afraid.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With Djokovic losing today, the no.1 ranking scenario after RG:

If Djokovic doesn’t reach the Final AND Sinner reaches 2R then Sinner will be new no.1

OR

Jannik Sinner reaches his 2nd consecutive slam and even if Djokovic reaches Final then Sinner will be new no.1

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio,

Novak has been out of sorts all year, got rid of his team, have you any idea why his form is lacking? he always says in his press conferences he still has the desire to win GS titles etc, and has no desire to retire, and one presser he wants to be able to play in the Olympics after Paris?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic on his loss to Machac, ( source The Tennis Letter)
He says he's worried and he hasnt played well this year.
"I dont see myself as a favorite at Roland Garros"
"Of course I'm worried.I havent played well at all this year, apart from a few matches here and there".

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie