2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fritz lost today in Geneva to 19-year-old fellow American Michelsen, in 3. When he lost, he broke his racquet across his knee, which I thought was ungracious and poor form. It rather signals to his opponent that he thinks he should have won that match, as in, that he's the better player. Well, he wasn't today, though it was a good match, what I saw of it. Michelsen is definitely one to look out for. I don't see why Fritz was playing in Geneva, anyway. He had a good enough Rome to feel ready for RG, I would have said.

PS: TC says today is Novak's birthday. He plays Hanfmann later.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Laver Cup has announced the Agassi will be the World Cup Captain replacing John McEnroe in 2025
Agassi will travel to Berlin this year before he takes over as World Cup Captain in 2025

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem competed at RG for the last time as he was defeated in the 2nd round in qualifies to Finlands Otto Virtanen 62 75. Thiem was presented with a trophy by tournament director at the end of this match

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem competed at RG for the last time as he was defeated in the 2nd round in qualifies to Finlands Otto Virtanen 62 75. Thiem was presented with a trophy by tournament director at the end of this match
Poor Thiem can't even make it to the main draw. He attracted a lot of crowd in these 2 matches he played at RG. Good decision to retire at the end of the season as this doesn't make sense anymore.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor Thiem can't even make it to the main draw. He attracted a lot of crowd in these 2 matches he played at RG. Good decision to retire at the end of the season as this doesn't make sense anymore.
Agree Don,
The writing on the wall for Dom has been going on for awhile quite frankly, he has made the right decision to retire this year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak's match in Geneva suspended due to rain, he was leading 5-3 against Hanfmann

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Fritz lost today in Geneva to 19-year-old fellow American Michelsen, in 3. When he lost, he broke his racquet across his knee, which I thought was ungracious and poor form. It rather signals to his opponent that he thinks he should have won that match, as in, that he's the better player. Well, he wasn't today, though it was a good match, what I saw of it. Michelsen is definitely one to look out for. I don't see why Fritz was playing in Geneva, anyway. He had a good enough Rome to feel ready for RG, I would have said.

Tay is almost slap happy to play on the clay this year. He played 3 tourneys in a row and made at the QF or better in each one. There was no need to play this week and risk injury and/or burnout. Take the week off, rest and practice. But this has to be a coaching thing. Why isn't his coach telling him to sit down somewhere this week?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray and Dan Evans have been awarded a WC for the French Open Doubles, I did read the other day they pair had asked for one, and they are very privileged as the other 13 doubles WC pairs are all French!

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I don't know why Fritz played here. He had a very good clay swing, need to know when is enough. I haven't seen Michelsen play yet, but good scalp for him.
Novak could not finish a set at 5:3, serving for it, got angry, then Hanffman had a BP and almost won a point, but they level at 40:40 and then rain started.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak could not finish a set at 5:3, serving for it, got angry, then Hanffman had a BP and almost won a point, but they level at 40:40 and then rain started.
Novak was looking fine for a while, then the first serve went off, and the balance looking funny again. 3 raindrops, and he wanted out of there.

• Wow

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak was looking fine for a while, then the first serve went off, and the balance looking funny again. 3 raindrops, and he wanted out of there.
I tuned in for the end of the set, cause I knew this could get interesting and yes, he wanted to leave on first sign of rain. Just sat in a chair hhaha. His team is almost non existent, 2 nobodies sitting there and he is communicating with them. Weird. He should stick with Goran for a little longer.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hanfmann mostly self destruct after 3:0 lead in the 2nd. Novak didn't have to do much and finally hit a few blasting winners in the last game. Hope he gets better with each match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hanfmann mostly self destruct after 3:0 lead in the 2nd. Novak didn't have to do much and finally hit a few blasting winners in the last game. Hope he gets better with each match.
Don,

Novak looked a bit un-cordinated to me at times,, in the match, he can only improve in his next match

Reactions: don_fabio

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
how many matches does he intend to play? He would need to win 4 to take the title, taking him up to Sat.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
how many matches does he intend to play? He would need to win 4 to take the title, taking him up to Sat.

Novak only needed 3 match practice in Rome last year before going on to win his 3rd FO Championship! The odds may be against him, but I won't say "he's done" yet! Rafa's more DONE than Nole! Chance says after the dominance of Nadovic for so many years, an outsider should finally take a FO; just like Sinner "down under" earlier this year & Wimbledon last season to Alcaraz! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy: