2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shapovalov v Griekspoor match is suspended due to rain in Geneva and now cancelled
Shapo leading 1 set 76(4) and 3 all in the 2nd set.
The QF match for the winner of this one is scheduled as 2nd of the day tomorrow

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
how many matches does he intend to play? He would need to win 4 to take the title, taking him up to Sat.
Yeah, don't know. He said he wants to get some more matches, whatever he gets as long as it is matchplay. At this point he looks rusty and definitely needs matches. Remains to see how far he can go here and if that will affect his RG performance. When does the 1st seed start with R1 in RG, on Sunday?

He did play Belgrade in 2021 before RG, but that was because it was 2 week gap between Rome and RG and Belgrade was in a week after Rome.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, don't know. He said he wants to get some more matches, whatever he gets as long as it is matchplay. At this point he looks rusty and definitely needs matches. Remains to see how far he can go here and if that will affect his RG performance. When does the 1st seed start with R1 in RG, on Sunday?

He did play Belgrade in 2021 before RG, but that was because it was 2 week gap between Rome and RG and Belgrade was in a week after Rome.
Usually the defending champion either plays Sunday or Monday. If he reaches the F, then it is more than likely he will play Monday.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic will await the winner of the Shapo v Griekspoor match as it was suspended and then cancelled due to rain.
Shapo 1st set 76(7) and 3 all in the 2nd set when play was cancelled

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like Theim he has made the right decision to retire early next year
I'm sad that Thiem could never make himself relevant again. Tough injury. And I guess Schwartzman also saw that, maybe losing a few steps? was costing him from being relevant on the tour, too. Both will be missed. Thiem is a bit of a "what if?" Schwartzman held up the standard, like Ferrer, for guys that didn't have the size or the weapons, but really did have a lot of grit and game. Both proved that one of the elements of "talent" is a will-to-win.

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak DropOfRainABitch :facepalm:
Look, he clearly needed a reset. Usually, you wouldn't want to quit when you're serving for the set. Hanfmann left a lot of break points on the table in both sets. Not that I think he would have won that match. @Kieran once called him "Hanfmann/Hanf-beast." Maybe when he beat Tsitsipas? Anyway, I thought that was hilarious. He couldn't summon his Hanf-beast today. He had a slightly pickable Novak today. Couldn't even get to 3 sets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic will await the winner of the Shapo v Griekspoor match as it was suspended and then cancelled due to rain on Thursday
I'm sad that Thiem could never make himself relevant again. Tough injury. And I guess Schwartzman also saw that, maybe losing a few steps? was costing him from being relevant on the tour, too. Both will be missed. Thiem is a bit of a "what if?" Schwartzman held up the standard, like Ferrer, for guys that didn't have the size or the weapons, but really did have a lot of grit and game. Both proved that one of the elements of "talent" is a will-to-win.
I have always had a soft spot for for Diego, with his lack of height and he didnt possessed great wepons he did well in his career,and used his grit and never say die attitude on the court

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Geneva,
QFs Novak d Griekspoor 75 61 to reach the SFs, he is slated to face Tomas Machac, Novak is getting much needed match play

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone seen Novak play in Geneva? How does he look?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In Geneva,
QFs Novak d Griekspoor 75 61 to reach the SFs, he is slated to face Tomas Machac, Novak is getting much needed match play
Novak played better today. Served his way out of trouble on BPs that Griekspoor had and played decent from the baseline. Served really good in general.

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
he hopes to be healthy in the grass season, though what decade I am not sure
I remember when he first arrived on tour and I was going, whoa, this guy is gonna be hell for Federer on grass and then Roger mangled him 6-1 6-2 6-2 at Wimbledon 2019 and I was very impressed with Roger's performance. Of course we know how it ended though. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember when he first arrived on tour and I was going, whoa, this guy is gonna be hell for Federer on grass and then Roger mangled him 6-1 6-2 6-2 at Wimbledon 2019 and I was very impressed with Roger's performance. Of course we know how it ended though. :mad:
dirty-mouth.gif

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak played better today. Served his way out of trouble on BPs that Griekspoor had and played decent from the baseline. Served really good in general.
Agree, he is getting the much needed match play, saved 5 BPs, his level today was better than yesterday's match more balanced

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Can't see why Novak would tank to Machac now and if he plays properly and beats him it wouldn't make any sense to tank the final.

A large egg and jungle juice combo meal and he'll be good to go as regards recovery for RG.

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Geneva SFs set,

Djokovic vs Machac
Ruud vs Cobolli I must say so far I have been impressed with my Italian youngster Cobolli
( If Ruud and Djokovic meet in the final, it could be a projected QF meeting at RG)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree, he is getting the much needed match play, saved 5 BPs, his level today was better than yesterday's match more balanced
Still having some weird balance issues, though, so I think we can say it wasn't the water bottle.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer