2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess it doesn't matter in the end if he doesn't have a concussion, after all. Means it was more about hot opponent, and age and rust. Let's face it, the falling off balance is something we see from him prior to Waterbottle Gate, and so, this year, is losing early.
All credit to his opponent in his match,deserved the win, though I have to say Novak's balance was off, not an excuse just an observation, if you compare his first round match to his 2nd match.Novak is a well balanced athlete, lets see how he fares in his defense at RG this year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Swiss press reporting that Djokovic can accept a wild card for Geneva next week.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All credit to his opponent in his match,deserved the win, though I have to say Novak's balance was off, not an excuse just an observation, if you compare his first round match to his 2nd match.Novak is a well balanced athlete, lets see how he fares in his defense at RG this year
He is, most of the time, but not always. We've discussed on this forum in the past few years, and, as I pointed out to Don Fabio on the Italian Open thread, Jimmy Arias has a theory about it: that he's not balanced when he's nervous. He started out his first round match by dropping serve twice, I think, so there was some rust to be seen, but then he seemed to right the ship and steamroll Moutet.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He is, most of the time, but not always. We've discussed on this forum in the past few years, and, as I pointed out to Don Fabio on the Italian Open thread, Jimmy Arias has a theory about it: that he's not balanced when he's nervous. He started out his first round match by dropping serve twice, I think, so there was some rust to be seen, but then he seemed to right the ship and steamroll Moutet.
A player showing signs of being nervous/ under stress in a match of course can result in being 'unbalanced' age is also another factor, that also has to be considered.

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennis Channel just said that he did accept it.
Well that is a suprise if I may say so,just looking at the field in Geneva it is quite packed with players wanting to improve their clay legs before RG.
I have never been in favor of a player, playing in a tournament so close to a Major, though in Novak's case he needs to find some form, as the defending champion at RG.
Interesting the 2023 RG finalists are the Top 2 seeds in Geneva?
BTW the defending champion Jarry withdrew from Geneva when he made the SFs at Rome, Paul also withdrew from Geneva.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Are these early signs of desperation? Reminds me of 2022 when to catch up and qualify for the YEC, Djokovic played Astana & Tele Viv! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:
At that time he was playing sublime tennis.

Now he plays mediocre and looks like he didn't get what he was looking for in Rome, so will try again. It all feels weird.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
At that time he was playing sublime tennis.

Now he plays mediocre and looks like he didn't get what he was looking for in Rome, so will try again. It all feels weird.
Tabilo played a blinder against him so I guess it's harsh to say he bottled it? :popcorn

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tabilo played a blinder against him so I guess it's harsh to say he bottled it? :popcorn
Don't blame @don_fabio, who is always fair. A lot of commentators have been making much of Novak being off his game. Maybe you meant the pun that he "bottled" it, but I do think overmuch is being made of the water bottle that hit him on the head. Djokovic has been off his game the whole year. He's dumped a lot of his team, and is still trying to figure it out. Let's see how he does in Geneva. But Tabilo, to his credit, more than backed up his win over Novak.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't blame @don_fabio, who is always fair. A lot of commentators have been making much of Novak being off his game. Maybe you meant the pun that he "bottled" it, but I do think overmuch is being made of the water bottle that hit him on the head. Djokovic has been off his game the whole year. He's dumped a lot of his team, and is still trying to figure it out. Let's see how he does in Geneva. But Tabilo, to his credit, more than backed up his win over Novak.
Yeah it was just a late night bottle pun.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem on his reaction to not receiving a main draw wild card from Roland Garros ( espn.com.ar/tenis/notal)

"Honestly I had a lot of time to be at a good ranking.I had enough tournaments and enough time to climb the rankings and I didn't do it, so I didnt deseve it and thats fine.I have had 10 appearances in the main draw at RG in recent years, thats more then enough".

Thiem won his first round qualifying match today against Agamenone 36 63 62

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic first round opponent in Geneva will be Yannick Hanfmann.It will be their first meeting,. ( Hanfmann d Murray in a rain interrupted match which was completed today 75 62)

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I posted on Pre- Gaming Roland Garros Post,

According to Sky Sports Italy,
Jannik Sinner's training sessions have gone well, he has been in MC with his full team ( Darren Cahill included) and he will travel to RG today

Carlos Alcarz will travel to Paris tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem on his reaction to not receiving a main draw wild card from Roland Garros ( espn.com.ar/tenis/notal)

"Honestly I had a lot of time to be at a good ranking.I had enough tournaments and enough time to climb the rankings and I didn't do it, so I didnt deseve it and thats fine.I have had 10 appearances in the main draw at RG in recent years, thats more then enough".

Thiem won his first round qualifying match today against Agamenone 36 63 62
Good for Dominic, for taking his lumps. To this point, and since I had complained about the unknown Gioranni Mpetchi Perricard getting a wildcard instead of Dominick or Stan, the young Frenchment won today over Lorenzo Sonego, whom I'd call an in-form player and good on clay, so I should not have picked on him, randomly. And he beat Sonego 6-3, 6-4. Mpetchi Perricard is 20 years old. I'll be curious to see him play.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good for Dominic, for taking his lumps. To this point, and since I had complained about the unknown Gioranni Mpetchi Perricard getting a wildcard instead of Dominick or Stan, the young Frenchment won today over Lorenzo Sonego, whom I'd call an in-form player and good on clay, so I should not have picked on him, randomly. And he beat Sonego 6-3, 6-4. Mpetchi Perricard is 20 years old. I'll be curious to see him play.
Dom had a very down to earth attitude about not receiving a WC, most GS they will hand out WC to their players of origin eg French, they do give out reciprocal wc to Australia and USO,
Sonego has been a disappointment may I say, he wants to play doubles with Jannik in the Olympics

Reactions: Moxie