2024 ATP General News

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Interesting news regarding João Fonseca: he decided to skip the rest of the clay season (at the cut off date he was not ranked high enough to ender RG´s qualification) and will focus on the grass season, playing three challengers before Wimbledon qualifiers.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Per reports in Serbian media,
Djokovic took a head scan this morning in Belgrade and was given the all clear by the doctors ( source Sasa Ozmo@sasoozmo)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio if you are around,

I am hearing Djokovic is considering playing in Geneva Open before RG? can you confirm please? also he just got the all clear after having a head scan in Belgrade, was complaining still of headaches., maybe that was the reason rumors are around he is considering to play in Geneva
Personally speaking I will be suprised if he plays.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don Fabio if you are around,

I am hearing Djokovic is considering playing in Geneva Open before RG? can you confirm please? also he just got the all clear after having a head scan in Belgrade, was complaining still of headaches., maybe that was the reason rumors are around he is considering to play in Geneva
Personally speaking I will be suprised if he plays.
This also from Ozmo on his FB page:

Today, "Blik" published an article in which it is stated that there is a possibility that Novak Djokovic will play in the tournament in Geneva, which is scheduled from May 19 to 25.

At first glance, it is unlikely that this will happen, but the author of the article claims that Nole lacks matches and that the dress rehearsal in Switzerland will be useful for him before Roland Garros.

Two wild cards have already been dealt - Andy Murray and Matteo Berretini - but the organizers are saving one more!

I guess it's just the rumors, though the author of the article is right by saying that Novak lacks matches. I already said that I don't believe he will play Geneva or Lyon, but then again Roger played Geneva his last year on tour. I think Novak has a routine for RG which he does for years now, he comes there and gets used to conditions. If he plays Geneva and goes far he is risking to be tired for RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This also from Ozmo on his FB page:

Today, "Blik" published an article in which it is stated that there is a possibility that Novak Djokovic will play in the tournament in Geneva, which is scheduled from May 19 to 25.

At first glance, it is unlikely that this will happen, but the author of the article claims that Nole lacks matches and that the dress rehearsal in Switzerland will be useful for him before Roland Garros.

Two wild cards have already been dealt - Andy Murray and Matteo Berretini - but the organizers are saving one more!

I guess it's just the rumors, though the author of the article is right by saying that Novak lacks matches. I already said that I don't believe he will play Geneva or Lyon, but then again Roger played Geneva his last year on tour. I think Novak has a routine for RG which he does for years now, he comes there and gets used to conditions. If he plays Geneva and goes far he is risking to be tired for RG.
I think the rumors were circulating in regards Novak playing Geneva was his lack of match play before RG, I would have been suprised if he played there

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Per reports in Serbian media,
Djokovic took a head scan this morning in Belgrade and was given the all clear by the doctors ( source Sasa Ozmo@sasoozmo)
I also read that he had an EEG, and that it showed "no anomalies," though the NYTimes posted a story just a couple of hours ago that said the results weren't back yet. They're probably just slow to get the info. So, no concussion, it seems. That said, they bring up a point that I also found concerning: that it seemed he was given the "all-clear" at the tournament a bit soon? After the loss to Tabilo, Novak said he had experienced "nausea, dizziness," that he did bleed at the site of the wound, but stitches weren't required. I was surprised he didn't have a scan done that night. Even if the tournament encouraged it, I suppose he could refuse it. But does no one remember Natasha Richardson? He's the #1 player in the world, and he goes back to his hotel to put an ice pack on his head?

Anyway, this from Jon Wertheim's Mailbag on SI.com today: "it’s another strange loss for a guy who won three of the four majors in 2023 and is without a title in 2024. As a former player (and current friend of his) puts it, Djokovic is “cooked,”understandably tapped mentally from the commitment that his level of excellence entails." Wertheim acknowledges the knock on the head, and also follows it up to say that Novak could suddenly bring it at RG, so who knows. This, however, speaks to what a few of us @El Dude @don_fabio have been talking about, in terms of Novak's year: that it could be the inability to find motivation, which Novak himself has hinted at.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I also read that he had an EEG, and that it showed "no anomalies," though the NYTimes posted a story just a couple of hours ago that said the results weren't back yet. They're probably just slow to get the info. So, no concussion, it seems. That said, they bring up a point that I also found concerning: that it seemed he was given the "all-clear" at the tournament a bit soon? After the loss to Tabilo, Novak said he had experienced "nausea, dizziness," that he did bleed at the site of the wound, but stitches weren't required. I was surprised he didn't have a scan done that night. Even if the tournament encouraged it, I suppose he could refuse it. But does no one remember Natasha Richardson? He's the #1 player in the world, and he goes back to his hotel to put an ice pack on his head?

Anyway, this from Jon Wertheim's Mailbag on SI.com today: "it’s another strange loss for a guy who won three of the four majors in 2023 and is without a title in 2024. As a former player (and current friend of his) puts it, Djokovic is “cooked,”understandably tapped mentally from the commitment that his level of excellence entails." Wertheim acknowledges the knock on the head, and also follows it up to say that Novak could suddenly bring it at RG, so who knows. This, however, speaks to what a few of us @El Dude @don_fabio have been talking about, in terms of Novak's year: that it could be the inability to find motivation, which Novak himself has hinted at.
Yep, not surprising. I cannot imagine the intense focus and drive that it takes to remain at the top, year after year. For Novak, I see one of three outcomes, in order of likelihood (in my opinion, of course):

1. He continues to struggle this year, but at some point finds enough focus through love of the game and competition to eek out a handful more titles, maybe a few more big titles. But he's never as dominant as before, playing the role of "Old Agassi" on tour for a year or two, and retires at the end of 2025 or '26.
  2. To quote Bill Paxton in Aliens, "Game over, man, game over!" Novak is cooked and while he might half-heartedly try to comeback, not enough heart is in it and he misses more and more tournaments before announcing his retirement sometime next year.
  3. Improbably, Rafa finds a third (fourth, fifth?) wind and returns at least to some semblance of his latter-day excellence. This inspires Novak, and we have one more surge of Djokodal in 2024-25, before both sail off into the night.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

If you read my post to you regarding MRI and Scan do not show up any straight away when a person has had concussion issues, or delayed concussion issues? and it is best to wait/? that is what Novak has done, mainly because he was experiencing bad headaches still, when I worked on the general ward in the hospital I have patients coming in after a week, plus when they were experiencing worse symptons. I also said to you dont assume he had a MRI scan when he went to hospital after the water bottle incicent, and I was correct, doctors dont go and ordered a scan ASAP because results dont always show up immediately?
I read the results were in I would not have posted it, if it wasnt true, the news came from Belgrade.
I suggest you go back and read my post to you regarding MRI and Head scans in the Rome post I had explained the reasons why? I think I have the experience and work knowledge to comment on this subject okay. Thanks!

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yep, not surprising. I cannot imagine the intense focus and drive that it takes to remain at the top, year after year. For Novak, I see one of three outcomes, in order of likelihood (in my opinion, of course):

1. He continues to struggle this year, but at some point finds enough focus through love of the game and competition to eek out a handful more titles, maybe a few more big titles. But he's never as dominant as before, playing the role of "Old Agassi" on tour for a year or two, and retires at the end of 2025 or '26.
  2. To quote Bill Paxton in Aliens, "Game over, man, game over!" Novak is cooked and while he might half-heartedly try to comeback, not enough heart is in it and he misses more and more tournaments before announcing his retirement sometime next year.
  3. Improbably, Rafa finds a third (fourth, fifth?) wind and returns at least to some semblance of his latter-day excellence. This inspires Novak, and we have one more surge of Djokodal in 2024-25, before both sail off into the night.
Interesting set of options, and most interesting is your #3, in the sense that Novak's only real motivation is against his old rivals. I think there's something in that. He may be interested to beat Alcaraz and Sinner, etc., but it doesn't have the same "spice," or "spite," does it?

I think the most likely, however, is #1. He's hugely competitive. And, as you have said before, I don't think he's done in big tournaments. It would be weird to have such a great year, followed by a career-ending one.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting set of options, and most interesting is your #3, in the sense that Novak's only real motivation is against his old rivals. I think there's something in that. He may be interested to beat Alcaraz and Sinner, etc., but it doesn't have the same "spice," or "spite," does it?

I think the most likely, however, is #1. He's hugely competitive. And, as you have said before, I don't think he's done in big tournaments. It would be weird to have such a great year, followed by a career-ending one.
Well, it has happened before: Andy Murray in 2016, Mats Wilander in 1988. Both continued on for quite awhile, but they totally crashed and weren't even top 10 guys after.

But the situation is different, obviously. Andy's body was shot - he had that hip injury and wasn't the same after his surgery. I wasn't really following tennis in the late 80s (a young teen), but from what I gather it wasn't an injury but more a mental burnout and/or lack of motivation...so similar to Novak. So I'm not sure why Mats continued...maybe he hadn't massed a Monte Carlo prince's fortune like Novak, so had to "slum it out" on the ATP tour to keep his luxury lifestyle. But I have no idea...maybe you remember or @Fiero425 can chime in.

Anyhow, no way Novak plays on for years as a shadow like Andy has and Mats did. He may even retire more abruptly than Roger or Rafa, or maybe play very selectively for a few years.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well, it has happened before: Andy Murray in 2016, Mats Wilander in 1988. Both continued on for quite awhile, but they totally crashed and weren't even top 10 guys after.

But the situation is different, obviously. Andy's body was shot - he had that hip injury and wasn't the same after his surgery. I wasn't really following tennis in the late 80s (a young teen), but from what I gather it wasn't an injury but more a mental burnout and/or lack of motivation...so similar to Novak. So I'm not sure why Mats continued...maybe he hadn't massed a Monte Carlo prince's fortune like Novak, so had to "slum it out" on the ATP tour to keep his luxury lifestyle. But I have no idea...maybe you remember or @Fiero425 can chime in.

Anyhow, no way Novak plays on for years as a shadow like Andy has and Mats did. He may even retire more abruptly than Roger or Rafa, or maybe play very selectively for a few years.

What are you guys talking about; getting to the heights of being #1 only to burn out the following season? That's exactly what it was for Wilander & Murray because it has to do with over-achieving! The times were analogous where those 2 players got away w/ playing quite defensively & getting to #1 only to drop out of sight the following year! They pushed themselves to the limit and had little to nothing left! I was surprised to read Wilander hung around for another 6-7 years in almost abject obscurity! I can't recall much of anything of him except a young Sampras upset Wilander at the USO in 1989 when still #5 seed! Murray pushed it to the limit physically more than mentally as Mats! It was predictable he'd have hip issues w/ all that running he does! It's not the same for Djokovic IMO; unless it's considered an over-achievement to have such a great season at 36 winning 3 majors & retaining the #1 ranking? That part is true, but I feel Novak has a little left in him! I can't see him dropping precipitously in the ranking to embarrass his legacy! BO5 can still save him when it comes to the NG'rs trying to knock him off, down & out! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What are you guys talking about; getting to the heights of being #1 only to burn out the following season? That's exactly what it was for Wilander & Murray because it has to do with over-achieving! The times were analogous where those 2 players got away w/ playing quite defensively & getting to #1 only to drop out of sight the following year! They pushed themselves to the limit and had little to nothing left! I was surprised to read Wilander hung around for another 6-7 years in almost obscure fame! I can't recall much of anything of him except a young Sampras upset Wilander at the USO in 1989 when still #5 seed! Murray pushed it to the limit physically more than mentally as Matts! It was predictable he'd have hip issues w/ all that running he does! It's not the same for Djokovic IMO; unless it's considered an over-achievement to have such a great season at 36 winning 3 majors & retaining the #1 ranking? That part is true, but I feel Novak has a little left in him! I can't see him dropping precipitously in the ranking to embarrass his legacy! BO5 can still save him when it comes to the NG'rs trying to knock him off, down & out!
I wasn't watching in the Mats Wilander days. I have no feel for his game or legacy. I agree with you that Novak has a little left in him, but I don't agree that he can diminish his legacy by hanging in there. What you achieved is what you did. Not everyone can quit early and leave a beautiful corpse like Borg, or win a Major and walk away, like Sampras.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie

I see you are ignoring my post to you regarding concussion for a 2nd time, regarding Novak? oh well life goes on!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem who was snubbed by the French Tennis Federation, who did not give the 2 time French finalist a wild card for RG has announced he will play in the Bonmont Tennis Masters, a grass court exhibition tournament in Switzerland which will be played from June 9 to 11. This will help players prepare for the next grass court tournaments.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I wasn't watching in the Mats Wilander days. I have no feel for his game or legacy. I agree with you that Novak has a little left in him, but I don't agree that he can diminish his legacy by hanging in there. What you achieved is what you did. Not everyone can quit early and leave a beautiful corpse like Borg, or win a Major and walk away, like Sampras.

IMO, anything won by Novak now is only gravy, just extending records he owns already! True enough it would be difficult to even think his legacy c/b tarnished in any way! For a good while people will laud Fedal over him, but that will fade sooner or alter! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Australian Open 2025 is set for 12-26th January 2025, for the second straight year, main draw action will begin on a Sunday, a change to the tournament schedule which fans have enthusiastically embraced

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie

I see you are ignoring my post to you regarding concussion for a 2nd time, regarding Novak? oh well life goes on!
It didn't seem to ask for a response...you weren't asking, you were telling.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It didn't seem to ask for a response...you weren't asking, you were telling.
I was explaining why at first a person that has suffered a knock to the head, doctors dont ask for a MRI or Scan as the scan doesent show clear results
Of course if a person is in a bad car accident for example and there head injuries, a MRI is needed to see if there is bleeding on the brain.
In Novak's case he did the right thing as he was still experiencing head aches, and went and got a scan in Belgrade which showed he was all clear.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was explaining why at first a person that has suffered a knock to the head, doctors dont ask for a MRI or Scan as the scan doesent show clear results
Of course if a person is in a bad car accident for example and there head injuries, a MRI is needed to see if there is bleeding on the brain.
In Novak's case he did the right thing as he was still experiencing head aches, and went and got a scan in Belgrade which showed he was all clear.
I guess it doesn't matter in the end if he doesn't have a concussion, after all. Means it was more about hot opponent, and age and rust. Let's face it, the falling off balance is something we see from him prior to Waterbottle Gate, and so, this year, is losing early.