2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens seeding has come out for Wimbledon 2023,

Matteo Berrettini and Ben Shelton missed out being seeded this year.
Nick K lucky he squeezed in at No 31, Foki No 32 seed

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He's following in the footsteps of Nadal so I guess he figures, :"I gotta be full of myself early too!" All that talent, but might burn out early! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
He’s doing the opposite to what Rafa did, actually. Rafa never claimed he’d win a tournament, even after winning so many FOs, he never claimed going into the next one that he’d win it.

This could be naïveté or strategy by Carlos. It’s risky either way. I think he’s wiser to tell the press that Novak will win it, and keep the spotlight on the favourite - while working like a beast (like a Rafa!) to make sure that doesn’t happen..

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
He's following in the footsteps of Nadal so I guess he figures, :"I gotta be full of myself early too!" All that talent, but might burn out early! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
You must be talking about a different Nadal, because Rafa has never been anything but humble - even to a ridiculous level, really. I can imagine his shrug and heavy accent, "I do my best, maybe I win, but Roger is Roger."

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You must be talking about a different Nadal, because Rafa has never been anything but humble - even to a ridiculous level, really. I can imagine his shrug and heavy accent, "I do my best, maybe I win, but Roger is Roger."

There are other ways to "own it" as if you're "The $#!t!" From day one Rafa played mind games w/ people on the court! He'd stall, towel off relentlessly, juggle his junk, pull his undies out of his arse, ?? every line call, & in gen. drag a match down; esp.Roger's at those FO finals! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: atttomole

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
This is what gets me about FAA.. he has so many Sampras like weapons that he shouldn't need an tune up.

I know a lot of Us old heads like El Dude , Kieran and myself keep bringing up Sampras as if he was a tennis God but it's the TRUTH .

When Sampras won his last Wimbledon I think Margaret has mentioned that fortnight but Sampras had painful shine splints so severe he had to get pain injections the day he was going to play. He won the tournament really without being able to PRACTICE. That's a Tennis God and a real GOAT.

Boy, I was wrong on FAA. I thought all the way until last year at the US Open that he was going to be great. That said, I felt this year, we were going to get a definite answer, one way or the other, on this issue. Let's just say it doesn't look good for FAA.

Regarding Sampras, he also won the year before (albeit with the lucky break of the Philippoussis injury) with a herniated disc in his back, which caused him to miss the US Open. To me, 1998 was the last year Pete was invincible at Wimbledon. The vulnerabilities started to show in 1999, with the Philippoussis match. Pete had a very easy draw in 2000, playing only one seed (Rafter in the finals) and a qualifier in the semis, and even then, he dropped sets against Kucera, Gimelstob, and Gambill that year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Struff's reason for withdrawing from Wimbledon, he was having really solid results this year as well, he consulted with his team, we had to take the necessary step to let my body recover.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
QH7w.gif

Grass is for cows and servebots. :sleep2:

• Wow
Reactions: PhiEaglesfan712

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not using Kskate 'crystal ball" though I am thinking that Medvedev and Ruud's quarters could be most at risk!, with the draw
Meaning for "upset?" I would agree with that. As I have said, I don't find them a convincing #3 & #4 for Wimbledon. That's why I keep asking who's looking dangerous below them. I like your ideas, (would LOVE to see Seb Korda go deep,) and @nehmeth's addition of Jarry. Have we talked about Cam Norrie, or is he too obviously a danger? Something is whispering Rinderknech to me, but without much to back it up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Meaning for "upset?" I would agree with that. As I have said, I don't find them a convincing #3 & #4 for Wimbledon. That's why I keep asking who's looking dangerous below them. I like your ideas, (would LOVE to see Seb Korda go deep,) and @nehmeth's addition of Jarry. Have we talked about Cam Norrie, or is he too obviously a danger? Something is whispering Rinderknech to me, but without much to back it up.
I am going to add Mannarino, Fritz, Alex de Minaur, I have mentioned Korda, I also agree with Nehmeth with Jarry as danger players

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am going to add Mannarino, Fritz, Alex de Minaur, I have mentioned Korda, I also agree with Nehmeth with Jarry as danger players
Actually, I think we already had Mannarino, and de Minaur. Fritz had a couple of losses recently, but he should be in there, for sure.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, I think we already had Mannarino, and de Minaur. Fritz had a couple of losses recently, but he should be in there, for sure.
Okay, the reason I like Fritz on grass he has a good first serve, and I feel the grass suits his overall game, though mentally he can go away in matches
Dont forget Bublik I mentioned him earlier on this post
Also The Dangerous One aka Cerundolo he has made the SF on grass, at Eastbourne, just not a clay courter

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay, the reason I like Fritz on grass he has a good first serve, and I feel the grass suits his overall game, though mentally he can go away in matches
Dont forget Bublik I mentioned him earlier on this post
Also The Dangerous One aka Cerundolo he has made the SF on grass, just not a clay courter
Good reminder on Bublik, and I was wondering about the Dangerous Cerundolo. It will be interesting, say, if Ruud, gets a rough early draw, goes out early, and his quarter becomes a land of opportunity, with one of these guys in there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good reminder on Bublik, and I was wondering about the Dangerous Cerundolo. It will be interesting, say, if Ruud, gets a rough early draw, goes out early, and his quarter becomes a land of opportunity, with one of these guys in there.
Agree, Ruud has not had a great preparation on grass, he could go out early

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just found these odds:

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 10.01.04 PM.png

I mean...Nick Kyrgios? He's played one match this year, and he didn't win it. This is why I always think the odds makers are idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.