2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nah..it's gonna have to be someone who is just as fit and mentally tough during the 2nd week of a fortnight. ONLY Medvedev is able to stand up to Novak's game at this point. Will Daniil allow his tennis game to transfer to the grass at this stage in his career? That's the unknown.
Have you seen Daniil move on a grass court?? :negative: USO maybe.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Couldn't find much news on him other than being out of form but is Tim Van Rijthoven gonna play qualifiers or maybe even get a WC? Should give him a WC imo. He had back problems not long ago which probably accounts for the poor form but, if healthy, he has a great game for grass to win a few rounds and cause some trouble.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Couldn't find much news on him other than being out of form but is Tim Van Rijthoven gonna play qualifiers or maybe even get a WC? Should give him a WC imo. He had back problems not long ago which probably accounts for the poor form but, if healthy, he has a great game for grass to win a few rounds and cause some trouble.

Very well remembered! I was thinking about those "tall Dutch fellas" who seem to do well on grass, but it was a vague memory, (not Talon Griekspoor) He did break out last year on grass...The Red Baron, everyone was calling him. I tried to find more, too, but seems he's been injury-plagued for years, which is about all there is to know.

Reactions: Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nah..it's gonna have to be someone who is just as fit and mentally tough during the 2nd week of a fortnight. ONLY Medvedev is able to stand up to Novak's game at this point. Will Daniil allow his tennis game to transfer to the grass at this stage in his career? That's the unknown.
I don't agree with this, either. I don't think it's Meddie. I agree more with @nehmeth's example of Bublik, say, in that, IMO, it's more likely to be a spoiler in the first week, someone who has his feet well in the grass, while Novak is still sliding around on it. By the 2nd week, I don't think there's anyone right now to beat him once he's found his grass legs. Carlitos can only meet him in the final, and that's definitely too late.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not sure of Meddy's game on grass at this point in time, now if it was a HC I would agree with you

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you seen Daniil move on a grass court?? :negative: USO maybe.
Nehmeth..he can learn to play on grass It took Novak a minute to adapt to the grass .. I still remember when he was ready to make the jump to the big boys (Fedal) and ran into Marat Safin who took Nole to the woodshed and gave him a ole fashioned grass court whipping.

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth and Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
You said Khachanov is out. So Shelton and Berrettini both out? What about Kygrios? Won't they give Murray a WC?
Well after he was beaten in his first match in Queens, Murray still maybe seeded but not confirmed, as yet, Berrettini is highly questionable if he plays , Nick K is also still up in the air if he plays due to his latest withdrawal at the Mallorca Open, also Sinner has a abductor injury, having to retire in Halle, also could withdraw from Wimbledon
Maybe I’m having a senior moment, but I still don’t get why Murray needs a WC, since he’s ranked 37? That would give him direct entry. No, he won’t be seeded, but he’ll still get in without a WC, no?

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nehmeth..he can learn to play on grass It took Novak a minute to adapt to the grass .. I still remember when he was ready to make the jump to the big boys (Fedal) and ran into Marat Safin who took Nole to the woodshed and gave him a ole fashioned grass court whipping.
AP, if you remember, we weren’t talking about somewhere down the road. We’re talking about this year. By the time Daniil becomes proficient on grass, Novak will be retired.

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe I’m having a senior moment, but I still don’t get why Murray needs a WC, since he’s ranked 37? That would give him direct entry. No, he won’t be seeded, but he’ll still get in without a WC, no?
Murray cannot get direct entry being ranked at 37 or 38, there are only 32 seeded players,, presently he is unseeded, though if a few players withdraw he could be seeded, which would be better than a WC, he wont face danger players in the first couple of rounds.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Murray cannot get direct entry being ranked at 37 or 38, there are only 32 seeded players,, presently he is unseeded, though if a few players withdraw he could be seeded, which would be better than a WC, he wont face danger players in the first couple of rounds.
What? The top 100+ ranked players are given direct entry.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What? The top 100+ ranked players are given direct entry.
Yes, but I double checked and they are still saying Murray is unseeded and needs players to withdraw before he is seeded, he can get direct entry
I think we both got out wires crossed with Murray, Murray was wanting to be seeded and needed a couple of wins at Queens, he lost in the first round,
When I first put up the post saying he was unseeded., he can get direct entry though he wanted to be seeded at Wimbledon and came up short, maybe I confused you, I was also confused, clear now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Safin hated grass, but he did best Novak in 3. But look at the actual whipping he gave Novak at what is now his turf at the AO, only a few months earlier: 0, 2 and 1. Now, THAT is getting your ass kicked.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, but I double checked and they are still saying Murray is unseeded and needs players to withdraw before he is seeded, he can get direct entry
I think we both got out wires crossed with Murray, Murray was wanting to be seeded and needed a couple of wins at Queens, he lost in the first round,
When I first put up the post saying he was unseeded., he can get direct entry though he wanted to be seeded at Wimbledon and came up short, maybe I confused you, I was also confused, clear now.
I think this is where we all get confused, or at least I do. There are 32 (?) seeded players at the Majors. But then there are 104 or something that get "direct entry," meaning they don't have to do the qualifying rounds. I always sort of forget about this part, but this is where your "dangerous floaters" come from, right? Being "seeded" sort of protects you until the QFs, in theory. But everyone from 33 to 104 could land anywhere. Which is why, say, Murray will qualify as a dangerous floater, having won Wimbledon 2 times, but being unseeded now. He won't need a WC, because he's in direct entry, and a WC won't get him a better seeding, because that's a PR, and he's beyond that. Hopefully I have that right.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think this is where we all get confused, or at least I do. There are 32 (?) seeded players at the Majors. But then there are 104 or something that get "direct entry," meaning they don't have to do the qualifying rounds. I always sort of forget about this part, but this is where your "dangerous floaters" come from, right? Being "seeded" sort of protects you until the QFs, in theory. But everyone from 33 to 104 could land anywhere. Which is why, say, Murray will qualify as a dangerous floater, having won Wimbledon 2 times, but being unseeded now. He won't need a WC, because he's in direct entry, and a WC won't get him a better seeding, because that's a PR, and he's beyond that. Hopefully I have that right.
Maybe we should start a list for players that posters think can cause ' danger' at Wimbledon this year

I will start with Bublik, Griekspoor, Seb Korda ( no he wont win Wimbledon this year lol )

Status
Not open for further replies.