2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches have been suspended due to bad light

Sinner match is still going on on CC, impressed, solid first match so far 62 62 and up a break in the 3rd set
Edit Sinner serving for the match 5-2
Well done Jannik 62 62 62!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is the easiest Slam I’ve ever seen in terms of the defending champions hopes. It’s barren of opposition. The best players to potentially oppose him are youngsters in development, never a guarantee of trouble. Sinner is one of those youngsters we’re counting on to lift tennis post-Big 3, but he’s still developing and I don’t think his 2 set lead last year indicates anything for his chances this year. It was just one of those things, and Novak sorted him out quite easily in the final three sets…
But to be clear, this isn’t Novak’s fault, in case anyone is thinking that way (not saying you are). He can only play who’s in front of him, based on the randomness of the draw. The pathetic thing is that there’s no one younger than a 36 YEAR OLD who will beat him. The last person who even came close was a 37 year old Federer. But, again, Novak can’t be criticized for this; if anything, the reverse is true: it’s a testament to his longevity and greatness. But it is a criticism of the rest of the field.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
But to be clear, this isn’t Novak’s fault, in case anyone is thinking that way (not saying you are). He can only play who’s in front of him, based on the randomness of the draw. The pathetic thing is that there’s no one younger than a 36 YEAR OLD who will beat him. The last person who even came close was a 37 year old Federer. But, again, Novak can’t be criticized for this; if anything, the reverse is true: it’s a testament to his longevity and greatness. But it is a criticism of the rest of the field.

Heaven knows I've been calling the men's tour weak all these yrs. allowing Nadal to take 14 FO's! Soderling the only 1 outside of Novak to test him!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger Federer will come to Wimbledon on Tuesday and there will be a special celebration of his achievements on the court
Serena Williams was also invited but, with her pregnancy, decided not to travel

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2867.jpeg
IMG_2868.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s true, brother. Likewise, when Roger faced a better field than now but some of us knew it was a relatively weak one compared to what we were used to, that wasn’t Roger’s fault. Tennis was just lucky back then it had a young bull named Rafa to stop Roger winning everything, everywhere. In the absence of Rafa especially, since Roger is effectively long gone, the field is incredibly weak. And it’s getting worse.

Since he spiked again in 2018, Novak has won 11 slams - the same number as he won between 2011-2016. The fact that after winning the first two slams of the season it also seems unsurprising that he’ll likely win the CYGS tells us that we know in advance, that the field is clear for him. Good for him! But I’ve often mentioned that I think the dominance of the Big 3 has also had a negative effect on the sport, and I think we’re seeing that…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
When he lost both his serving pts., I said "he's in trouble!" He used up all his luck last FALL! We'll never see that trajectory go straight up ever again!
Come on fiero he is only 22 . He has so much talent. Let's give his body time to heal and let's see if he can hit the late reset button for 2023

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Heaven knows I've been calling the men's tour weak all these yrs. allowing Nadal to take 14 FO's! Soderling the only 1 outside of Novak to test him!
I always agree with this, and in fact said it many times that Rafa’s dominance in Paris reflects as much on the field as on him. The Big 3 are either like 100m runners posting 6 seconds for the race, which is questionable, or they’re doing what greats have always done but the field are running the 100m slower than a marathon…

Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.