2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I think one of the most impressive things about Novak's record breaking 23rd slam is the cheerleading reactions of both Rafa and Roger. True sportsmanship and appreciation for a fellow member of the Big 3 who's achieving things that they both understand so well:

You're kidding? What else can they do or say but to cheer Novak on? They were cheered on by others! It w/b hypocrisy & evil not to return the favor!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsitsi has Badosa's minge on his mind lately, he ain't going to win much until he cools off a bit. :lulz1:
LOL! many people are now blaming Paula for Stef's lack lustre performance, he has been on tweeter of late, say she is the love of his life? go figure

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m watching the match. Seb’s consistent, but Frances is making silly errors. The first set was good quality from both,.
Agree he is making silly errors, good first set After being off the tour with wrist problems, I am happy to see Seb playing at this level

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Feli Lopez received a WC for Mallorca and it will be the last tournament of his career according to their website, Tsitsipas, also received a WC, ( FAA received a WC which I posted yesterday.)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Agree he is making silly errors, good first set After being off the tour with wrist problems, I am happy to see Seb playing at this level
I saw his previous match and he did well there too. He probably could have skipped the clay season and started back on grass. Wrist issues are tricky. Rarely is one ever fully free and clear. His was bad.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw his previous match and he did well there too. He probably could have skipped the clay season and started back on grass. Wrist issues are tricky. Rarely is one ever fully free and clear. His was bad.
Agree about skipping the clay season, I feel Seb's game is perfect for grass, he is gifted and hopefully he can stay healthy

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a 'Concerning Stat' for Tsitsipas,
On Monday Stef will have gone a full 52 weeks without winning a title. Every other Top 10 player is holding 'multiple' titles over past 52 weeks, including at least one title this season.

• Wow
Reactions: tented and Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is a 'Concerning Stat' for Tsitsipas,
On Monday Stef will have gone a full 52 weeks without winning a title. Every other Top 10 player is holding 'multiple' titles over past 52 weeks, including at least one title this season.
He’s becoming the Davydenko of his generation: playing a lot of tournaments, and consistently doing well enough to stay in the Top 10., but rarely holding the trophy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He’s becoming the Davydenko of his generation: playing a lot of tournaments, and consistently doing well enough to stay in the Top 10., but rarely holding the trophy.
I think it is about time Stef parted ways with his dad as coach, maybe it worked in the early stages, he needs work on his bhand and his bhand slice, which have not improved at all

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’n not a huge fan of the crown prince and I know what you mean regarding his actual results, but IMO Davydenko was both better and worse than Tsitsipas.

Davydenko I think of as a classic overachiever whereas the naturally talented Tsitspas I think of as a classic underachiever.

Niikolay had no overpowering weapons, was a hardworking consistent player who “looked” like journeyman but had good results , hit the ball on the rise like Agassi and hit flat groundies. In his career he won 21 out of 28 tournament finals, including 3 Masters and 1 YE ATP. Whereas Tsitsipas is 9 out of 26.

OTOH, of those 2 are Masters and 1 YE ATP, and Stefano has actually reached 2 Major finals which Davydenko never could do, Davydenko was a perennial QF & occasional SF so maybe Davydenko squeezed as much as he could of his talent whereas Tsitsipas has squandered so much of his.

But yeah, in big matches Davydenko like Tsitsipas had a hard time not folding. Had Federer on the ropes in a one Slam and just couldn’t do it.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’n not a huge fan of the crown prince and I know what you mean regarding his actual results, but IMO Davydenko was both better and worse than Tsitsipas.

Davydenko I think of as a classic overachiever whereas the naturally talented Tsitspas I think of as a classic underachiever.

Niikolay had no overpowering weapons, was a hardworking consistent player who “looked” like journeyman but had good results , hit the ball on the rise like Agassi and hit flat groundies. In his career he won 21 out of 28 tournament finals, including 3 Masters and 1 YE ATP. Whereas Tsitsipas is 9 out of 26.

OTOH, of those 2 are Masters and 1 YE ATP, and Stefano has actually reached 2 Major finals which Davydenko never could do, Davydenko was a perennial QF & occasional SF so maybe Davydenko squeezed as much as he could of his talent whereas Tsitsipas has squandered so much of his.

But yeah, in big matches Davydenko like Tsitsipas had a hard time not folding. Had Federer on the ropes in a one Slam and just couldn’t do it.
I agree that Davydenko is an imperfect comparison. Tsitsipas is very talented, but he's got daddy-issues and ego-issues, IMO. If Davydenko was "better" than Stephanos, it would be in that his ego didn't get in the way of his tennis. He punched above his weight, rather like Ferrer. Steph is, as you say, under-achieving. I was shocked by @MargaretMcAleer's stat of earlier that he hasn't won a title in a year. I do feel that he and Zverev fancied themselves the Golden Boys, at a certain point, and maybe laid off the gas. Now they're both in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.