2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree that Davydenko is an imperfect comparison. Tsitsipas is very talented, but he's got daddy-issues and ego-issues, IMO. If Davydenko was "better" than Stephanos, it would be in that his ego didn't get in the way of his tennis. He punched above his weight, rather like Ferrer. Steph is, as you say, under-achieving. I was shocked by @MargaretMcAleer's stat of earlier that he hasn't won a title in a year. I do feel that he and Zverev fancied themselves the Golden Boys, at a certain point, and maybe laid off the gas. Now they're both in trouble.
Thats my moniker “the crown princes” , always more than a whiff of entitlement around them.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thats my moniker “the crown princes” , always more than a whiff of entitlement around them.
Or why some of us refer to them as the "Clown Princes." I was willing to buy into the notion of them for a while, and hold out some hope for them. But I think they began to drink their own kool-aid too early. Shapovalov seems to be another one who can't seem to get out of his own way. Lost to Zverev today, but another talent who has lost his way.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Wat is Sinner doing in this pictuere? And wheres is Andy Murray, Steffi Graff...

Wimbledon.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlitos just faked a drop shot on Lehecka, then hit it down the line to win the game. Sort of hilarious, and it happened so quickly, but he seemed to have all the time in the world. He's up 4-1 in the first.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy for my Italian Sinner, who seems to be getting more comfortable on grass defeating his fellow countryman Sonego in 3 sets

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How can someone who's only won one Wimby title make an appearance on this drawing vs Pete who has at least seven?

They emphasized "epic rivalry", thus Edberg/Becker and Martina N/Chrissie, Venus/Serena and Mac/Borg and the BIG3 who all battled each other in mulitple W finals in the Open era.. Can't figure out the women at the top of the stairs... Doesn't look like Billie Jean King /Margaret Court which it logically should be.

It's laughable that Alcaraz and Sinner who have zero W titles between them, have a single 4th round W encounter, are suddenly an epic rivalry, somebody in charge when seeing the draft should have figured that out, and flatly stated "uhh...let's rethink this theme..."

Pete should have been standing alone saying " I had no rivalries at Wimbledon..."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Adrian Mannarino gets another grass court Top Ten win and defeats Taylor Fritz 64 76 to reach the Queens QFs
People sometimes underestimate how well Mannarino plays on grass
Sinner will overcome Fritz in the ranking and will be Top 8 seed for Wimbledon, while Fritz will be No 9

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They emphasized "epic rivalry", thus Edberg/Becker and Martina N/Chrissie, Venus/Serena and Mac/Borg and the BIG3 who all battled each other in mulitple W finals in the Open era.. Can't figure out the women at the top of the stairs... Doesn't look like Billie Jean King /Margaret Court which it logically should be.

It's laughable that Alcaraz and Sinner who have zero W titles between them, have a single 4th round W encounter, are suddenly an epic rivalry, somebody in charge when seeing the draft should have figured that out, and flatly stated "uhh...let's rethink this theme..."

Pete should have been standing alone saying " I had no rivalries at Wimbledon..."
It's hard to make out but I think those ladies next to the sisters represent the new generation of Iga and Rybakina

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz d Lehecka 62 63 to reach the QFs at Queen plays either Dimitrov or Cerundolo tomorrow
Alcaraz in QFs this year 7-0
1st career QF on grass ( just his 3rd career tournament)
8th QFs of the year ( in 9 tournaments played)

Reactions: Kieran and tented

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions

Pete had a main rival, in Andre Agassi, and also had some hard battles at Wimbledon against guys like Richard Krajicek and Mark Philippoussis.

But yeah, Pete should be in the photo, and most likely standing next to Andre.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Pete had a main rival, in Andre Agassi, and also had some hard battles at Wimbledon against guys like Richard Krajicek and Mark Philippoussis.

But yeah, Pete should be in the photo, and most likely standing next to Andre.

History will call Sampras & Agassi rivals, but it's a made up moniker! Andre got few significant wins over Pete as evidenced by the last @ '02 USO!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
History will call Sampras & Agassi rivals, but it's a made up moniker! Andre got few significant wins over Pete as evidenced by the last @ '02 USO!
I was at that match, brother! I called it in June when Pete got knocked out of Wimbledon by some Swiss unknown. I said to all who’d listen, the USO final will be Sampras-Agassi. I based that on sheer madness, and a sense that Pete would rise again. I told the missus, we’re heading to New York.

We lay awake during the third round match against Rusedski, listening to it live on BBC Radio 5 Live. You haven’t watched tennis until you’ve listened to it on the radio. Best player for Pete to face was the man he was never going to lose to, no matter what. The hate was real, and it focused our champ. The sight of the Canadian turncoat caused the Pistol to fire real bullets. Classic final game with Pete nailing that big forehand.

We woke up the day we flew out to find that Pete dispatched Tommy Haas, which was no big deal. Of course Tommy wasn’t going to upset a goat. Next day we arrived and found that tickets were so on sale for Pete v Andy Roddick in the quarters. Myself and the missus snaffled up 2 seats in Row Zed. Great seats. You could contradict a linesman. We sat beside a Roddick fan. I smiled the bad news at her before the match began, though to be honest, I wasn’t so sure. But Pete hit the zone and it was classic young bull versus old.

Sheng Schalken in the semis. I knew Hewitt was probably going to knock out Dre in the other semi, but I wasn’t worried about Hewitt. I could see that thing in Pete’s eye that Hewitt hasn’t yet faced. But Agassi played a great semi and my prophecy came through.

The final, we all saw. Pete rolling back the years - and rolling over Agassi. For two sets. Thought it was going to be a smack down. Then Agassi squeaked the third. In the fourth, Sampras tongue rolled out in confusion. He began his wounded bear routine. He dragged his heels between points. Andre was up on his toes, dancing across the court and smacking the ball. Purpose, and spite. And holding his serve easy, as I recall. Then at four-all, the wounded bear swiped out a claw and found breakpoints. Tale as old as time, as Disney has it. Agassi’s eyes were wide open and he saw it coming. Goat break! Sampras up 5-4 and serving for the match, and a straw poll among the crowd could have told them, why bother play this game? It’s over! From memory, he won that game to fifteen and finished it with a volley.

Pure pleasure to see Pete! But the missus sees this differently - why didn’t we ever go to see Rafa, too? :facepalm:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hertogenbosch champ Tallon Griekspoor defeats defending champion in Halle, Hurkacz 63 16 76(8) to reach the QFs in Halle, he will play Rublev
Tallon, who has now won all the 7 matches played on grass this year

Reactions: tented and Kieran
Status
Not open for further replies.