2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nice stat for Arthur Fils, he will try to become the youngest French ATP champion, since Gael Monfils in Sopot in 2015, when he plays in the final tomorrow against F. Cerundolo in Lyon
I was impressed with him earlier. That was a long dog-fight of a match, with a crazy (almost) ending before the final TB: a line umpire called a ball long on MP, then came down from the chair and overruled it. Next thing you know, it’s 5-5 In the 3rd. He could have completely blown a gasket, but he held it together and went on to win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was impressed with him earlier. That was a long dog-fight of a match, with a crazy (almost) ending before the final TB: a line umpire called a ball long on MP, then came down from the chair and overruled it. Next thing you know, it’s 5-5 In the 3rd. He could have completely blown a gasket, but he held it together and went on to win.
Indeed it was a good test mentally for Fils, should be a competitive final tomorrow in Lyon,

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

That was crazy! How do we have so many errors of judgement with clay and camera verificiation? FILS' on his last legs only to be nearly robbed of a victory! Reminds me of early pro matches w/ line's people pulled out of the audience! I can't express the frustration when matches would totally turn on a horrible call w/ marks being ignored or worse yet, the linesperson selecting a mark that made them right! It was embarrassing! :astonished-face: :angry-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Denis Shapovalov , back in Paris,he hasnt played since Madrid, losing early to China's Zheng Zhizhen in 3 sets, he withdrew from Rome and Geneva with a ongoing knee issue.Shapo has a new coach ( again), American Matt Daly, who played collegiately at Notre Dame and on the pro Futures circuit for a few years.Not certain if this is a short term arrangement or a permanent one, it signals the end of Shapo's time with Peter Polansky

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was crazy! How do we have so many errors of judgement with clay and camera verificiation? FILS' on his last legs only to be nearly robbed of a victory! Reminds me of early pro matches w/ line's people pulled out of the audience! I can't express the frustration when matches would totally turn on a horrible call w/ marks being ignored or worse yet, the linesperson selecting a mark that made them right! It was embarrassing! :astonished-face: :angry-face:
All signs point to electric line calling on clay by next year? I hope so.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denis Shapovalov , back in Paris,he hasnt played since Madrid, losing early to China's Zheng Zhizhen in 3 sets, he withdrew from Rome and Geneva with a ongoing knee issue.Shapo has a new coach ( again), American Matt Daly, who played collegiately at Notre Dame and on the pro Futures circuit for a few years.Not certain if this is a short term arrangement or a permanent one, it signals the end of Shapo's time with Peter Polansky
Man, now if I can only keep all of this good intel in mind when picking my Roland Garros draws! :clap: (You should do the draw challenge. You have your finger on the pulse.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All signs point to electric line calling on clay by next year? I hope so.
I hope NOT, human error? also electronic line calling also can be incorrect, and then a umpire cannot over rule? I can see trouble brewing also how many times of late has a umpire been wrong calling a mark?,
Any way I am not going to discuss this anymore.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope NOT, human error? also electronic line calling also can be incorrect, and then a umpire cannot over rule? I can see trouble brewing also how many times of late has a umpire been wrong calling a mark?,
Any way I am not going to discuss this anymore.
You don't have to discuss it anymore, and feel free not to respond to this. (Seriously.) As to your question of how many times of late has an umpire been wrong calling the mark? I'd say a fair few. That's why opinion is changing on it.

I was totally against it, initially, because the technology did not react well to the clay. But the technology has improved. On top of that, we've seen how electronic line-calling has worked, in general. Everyone agrees to accept it, and moves on with the result. It really just is time to apply it to clay, as well. I am as old-school as it gets, and I rather love to see the chair umpire leap down and inspect the lines. But it's starting to get a bit silly, at this point, the disparity between line-calling on clay vs. other surfaces.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You don't have to discuss it anymore, and feel not to respond to this. (Seriously.) As to your question of how many times of late has an umpire been wrong calling the mark? I'd say a fair few. That's why opinion is changing on it.

I was totally against it, initially, because the technology did not react well to the clay. But the technology has improved. On top of that, we've seen how electronic line-calling has worked, in general. Everyone agrees to accept it, and moves on with the result. It really just is time to apply it to clay, as well. I am as old-school as it gets, and I rather love to see the chair umpire leap down and inspect the lines. But it's starting to get a bit silly, at this point, the disparity between line-calling on clay vs. other surfaces.
Well I dont think it has been a fair few quite frankly, I am old school and played on clay for many years, I never had a bad call,
Agree technology has improved, though the clay surface is the most tricky one, anyway ELO apparently is coming in for clay

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quality control in winemaking has evolved where there is a strong case for screw top wine bottles as opposed to cork top bottles. However the iconic image & romanticism of corked bottles still holds sway for many.

Ditto the mark and the chair checking that mark on red clay officiating, its one of the distinctive & unique features of the red dirt. I get the appeal of maintaining it, but i give it two years tops before most red clay tourneys have hawk eye.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to laugh out loud when Tsitsipas said he prefers one coach, than having to listen to 2 coaches, The Poo has recently left his coaching team
Stef your dad talks non stop and for the life of me he needs Duck Tape when he is sitting in your box,, to me he is a distraction, Don Fabio agrees with me

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to laugh out loud when Tsitsipas said he prefers one coach, than having to listen to 2 coaches, The Poo has recently left his coaching team
Stef your dad talks non stop and for the life of me he needs Duck Tape when he is sitting in your box,, to me he is a distraction, Don Fabio agrees with me
I would have thought he’d like a whole committee up there in the stands yelling advice. Drama queens generally love attention..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Quality control in winemaking has evolved where there is a strong case for screw top wine bottles as opposed to cork top bottles. However the iconic image & romanticism of corked bottles still holds sway for many.

Ditto the mark and the chair checking that mark on red clay officiating, its one of the distinctive & unique features of the red dirt. I get the appeal of maintaining it, but i give it two years tops before most red clay tourneys have hawk eye.
Well said. I think the game lost something when linesmen and lineswomen were removed from duty. Technology was only meant to be a back up, and now it’s completely taking over? The sport is better to watch when it still has some sense of the old way of doing things. Argument and dispute won’t go away just because of Hawkeye, which in fairness has been a great success. Disputes on clay because of marks on the ground? I love it! Leave things as they were, in terms of the brave ladies and gents waving the ball out, and ducking and screaming while they do so…

Status
Not open for further replies.